VINE VOICEon 7 June 2009
Beekeeping is a bit like playing the guitar. You can carry on strumming your three chords if you like, or you can go on to the more advanced stuff. This book will take you from the beginning stage to a fairly advanced one in one slim volume. Beekeeping is a big subject encompassing many different subjects within it, and for Ted Hooper to have covered every aspect so thoroughly in a mere 260 pages, much of which are taken up with useful photographs and illustrations, is nothing short of miraculous. This is a new edition, and I have seen comments that it is already out of date for the British beekeeper. One thing I like about it is that is it specifically aimed at the British beekeeper. As for being out of date, I suppose this refers to the chapter on pests and diseases, and I think it an unfair criticism. Any book dealing with bee diseases and their treatments will have obsolescence built in, and it is clear that Hooper is well aware of this. It is the responsibility of the beekeeper to keep abreast of the latest developments in bee health, and no general textbook will do this for you. This book accomplishes extremely well what it sets out to do.
on 4 August 2008
It is the Bible as far as I am concerned. Critically, in places it shows its age, but generally you will not get a better book on Bee Keeping.
on 11 August 2009
This was my second book that I read (after bee keeping for dummies - suprisingly good) and of all the others that I've read it is the one I've most refered back too. Buy this one after you've read other more back books. The pohots may be dated and the lack of mess floors look odd into days bee keeping world but the writing is clear understandable and the advice spot on. I recommend it to all new bee keepers I meet.
on 2 October 2009
You know what?I thought this was going to be a bit dry and dated but boy was I wrong.
OK so the pictures are black and white but it really is a bit of a page turner.
As an unreconstructed male who will only reads ripping yarns I was totally fascinated by this book.

It covers everything a beginner might want to know.From Bee anatomy to behaviour.How to develop and care for a brood. Hive types pro's and cons of the different hives,
and the valuable voice of experience.

No wonder it is often bundled with a novices start up package.

4 stars ,only lost a star because other books have colour pictures.
on 26 April 2009
There was some probem with the publishers rights, I think, so some important photos are missing. Text very informative.
on 4 August 2009
This is ofcourse the Bible for those who keep Bees and a must read for those considering keeping them
on 2 May 2010
I bought this as a present for a couple who were new to keeping bees. They attended classes on the subject and this book was the one to which the tutor referred. It is as well respected publication. A must for new beekeepers.
on 8 September 2009
This is a reasonably priced paperback, a revised edition of an old hardback favourite, which has been useful to newcomers to beekeeping and experts alike for many years. It covers in detail all the aspects of the hobby that are likely to cause difficultes and questions in the minds of beginners, and also serves as a ready reference for more experienced beekeepers. It will be read from cover to cover at first, then frequently referred to as problems occur and reminders are sought. The only drawback I found was that page numbers of references from one page to details on another had not been revised along with the text, causing some problems locating those referenced bits of text. Nevertheless, highly recommended.
on 2 August 2010
Having taken up beekeeping a couple of years okay I have several books in my bee library but the late Ted Hoopers book is considered by many to be one of the best. Its seems a little heavy going when you first start out and I would recommend a book like 'Bees at the bottom of my garden' but as your knowledge and experience grow this is the book that you will refer back to time and time again.

My only critiscm is that the book has not been updated and all measurements are in 'old money' so I have to convert everything but that is a minor gripe for such a great compilation of really useful information.

A really great book, well thumbed, well used, well recommended!
on 26 April 2014
As a complete beginner to bee keeping I am not really in a position to review the content of this book, which is probably the tome held in the highest regard by (certainly the local) Bee Keepers. It is a thorough and well written, excellent text book covering all aspect of hives and colony management as well as plenty of things you hope you never need! It is well illustrated with a wealth of photographs and diagrams. I have actually read it through cover to cover, but that was a mighty effort and I now use it more for dipping in to get answers on specific things. I would say that every beekeeper, active or aspiring, should have one of these on the shelf.