I'm an ST3 due to sit the CSA in Jan/Feb and this book has given me the confidence to spend over £1000 on an exam.

Published on 2 Nov. 2008 by Dr. J. Austin

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best CSA book
I bought this because it had a dvd with video cases included. I had hoped it would support the role play scenarios I have been doing in my CSA group. The cases in the book are ok, but the video cases are awful. How much can you gain from watching poor consulting? There are better books around in my opinion.
Published 12 months ago by D Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential book for anyone in GP training - trainee or trainer., 2 Nov. 2008
Dr. J. Austin "Jemma Austin" (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews

It's well written, flows nicely and the mix of book and DVD makes it a refreshing learning tool. It can be used at any stage of GP training either giving you an idea of what you should be aiming for in your consultations or perfecting your technique later in training. I think it could also be useful for trainers in introducing COT assessments and helping you prepare for the CSA by developing further practice cases based around the mock case layout.

The DVD is helpful to watch and the chapter notes really focuses your approach in doing that - I found I no longer just watched but actually thought about patient and doctor interaction, the clinical issues, possible agendas and most importantly how I may have done things differently. The mock cases look really helpful in focusing study groups and practicing for the CSA. The design is very similar to what the CSA gives us so very useful for role-play. I've only done one so far but it was actually quite fun. I have a nicer feeling about the hidden agendas that may happen in the CSA.

Overall, an essential book for anyone in GP training with a good varied set of patient cases in DVD and mock case format. Makes me feel confident about passing GP training, and does so in a really easy-to-use, interesting format.

PS Don't wait until just before your CSA it's useful at any time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for CSA and developing an approach to consultations, 8 Dec. 2009
Dan (Portsmouth) - See all my reviews
A well written, easy to understand book - the Consultation Skills for the New MRCGP helped me to prepare for my CSA by giving me understanding of what was being examined - this was supported excellently by the accompanying DVD. It is, however, not just for the exam it has allowed me to become comfortable with a structure for consulting which made the CSA less daunting.

This is not a book to use if you want to cram clinical information in the last week before the CSA but if you want to improve your understanding of consultation skills and use it to develop yourself, in conjunction with seeing patients on a daily basis, aiming to be a better doctor I would highly recommend this book.

I used the book as a guide in a small group and it gave us a good understanding of what to expect in the CSA with some well thought out cases - similar to the CSA. I also used the video myself for extra insight and found combined it was the best way for me to prepare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy revision, 25 Mar. 2012
Just passed my CSA using this range of books. This book is really easy to revise from with nice chunks in the form of cases. I did one a night. There is more in them that the exams which prepares the candidate to a high level and encourages thoughts in every aspect of the case. It's really good to have the actors brief in the book so that you can get an idea of what they are tasked with.
The DVD I reserved for the time when I couldn't bear to read anymore, it was a really nice alternative form of revision. There are some pretty rubbish books on the market, this is one of the best.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good book, 18 Jan. 2010
CSA exam in Feb and doing the book has given me a lot of confidence, but will know for sure after the exam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great learning aid, 21 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Consultation Skills for the MRCGP, second edition: Practice Cases for CSA and COT (Paperback)
This book has really clear layout, with a variety of different cases showing the different challenges in consultations and how best to approach them. It also has a DVD with accompanying scenarios. A great learning aid for all GP trainees especially for CSA revision.

5.0 out of 5 stars CSA books review, 3 July 2010
I have used this book while preparing for the CSA.
I think it is a very useful book for many reasons.
most useful is the video consultation which are provided in the DVD which comes with it.
also there are good mock cases. overall a useful buy

4.0 out of 5 stars Best book in this format, 31 Oct. 2012
Passed CSA may 12 (93/117)
I used this along with similar style case example books and Thomas Das book + RCGP case cards
I found this the most useful and relevant, especially looks at good everyday cases which have typical twists which pop up in exams.
I found this was better as a self study read rather than to be used for role play material in groups and overall the best book of its kind which I used. The DVD was also very useful to observe and critique.
The new edition also discussed relevant new guideleines/changes in practice

Overall a very useful read

4.0 out of 5 stars Practice, practice, practice, 30 Oct. 2012
This book provides a suitable forum to direct your revision. There are useful pointers throughout the book targeted towards sitting a good CSA exam. It also spans ST2 & ST3 so there is no excuse not to start early! After all, practice makes perfect & sitting the CSA is about proving you are a safe GP who involves the patient in the decision making.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best CSA book, 24 Mar. 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, but not amazing., 12 Jun. 2014
Some of the cases are just ridiculous. The DVD is quite useful and the accompanying marking scheme is also worth a look at.

Better cases on line I think though.

Best of luck with the csa.