on 7 April 2008
Paul Whillock is probably the most skilled fly tyer in the UK (possibly the world) and his easy to follow instructions make tying a similar fly a lot easier.
The Realistic fly patterns are relatively easy to tie with moderate experiance although the Art Flies are still out of reach to most. But if your examples are half as good as Paul's then they will still be amazing.
The book also does a good job as a 'match the hatch' reference book for the flies contained as a description of each fly is supplied with ample text and photographs of the actually fly you are imitating.
A must have.
on 16 January 2011
I have never met this man - but I wish I had. You won't believe what he can do with a hook, some thread and a few old feathers. I am sure that if I tied solidly from now until my 90th birthday I coulodn't do anything like this. O.k. - it must be admitted that my fishing flies are a bit ragged but they do catch the odd fish which is all I care about. However this man ties flies that look like flies, beetles, ants, spiders, scorpions and any other thing that crawls and they are just wonderful. No I doubt that I will ever try and tie one, but I am so pleased that I have the book. No it doesn't sit on my tying bench but it is with those books that I look at and try and draw inspiration from. A wonderful present for anyone who ties fishing flies (even if you have to buy it for yourself)
on 2 April 2011
This is a beautiful book in its own right and then it is also an excellent instructional book. Its only draw-back is that one cannot obtain all the products mentioned in the instructions and therefore one has to improvise to some extent. It does not purport to be for beginners and it is not. However, the procedures are explained in detail as it says and it is a "definitive step by step guide". A book to treasure.
on 17 November 2014
A set of terrific patterns tied by one of the most talented fly tyers in the world. My disappointment is that many of the patterns are not relevant to anglers and are more of an exercise in tying skill.