Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on 17 October 2004
I read a lot of poetry and a lot of what passes for "modern poetry" leaves me clold. I approached this book with some concern, I had have heard Jim and knew of his ability as a performer when he really brings his poetry to life, so I was a bit concerned that in book form his poems might fall a little flat. I need not have been worried from the first page the poems spring to life and it would be silly to pick some as "better" than others because they are all absolutly amazing. Jim's view of the world is so personal that you think it will not touch you but he seems to write from the poemt ofeveryone and his work is so universal that I doubt anyone could read this book and not find many poems which stay with them long after they read them.
In here you will find the brillient "LIVERPOOL IS" a great poem about his home town and one which should be adopted imediatly as the anthem for the 2008 (when Liverpool becomes European Capital of Culture).
I loved this book and would recommend it to anyone.
on 15 July 2005
I was given the book as a present and I was at first a bit unsure of it, but once you get into it you start to hear the writers voice in all these poems. I ended up converted and have gone on to read Bukowski who I also love. Jim is unique in the fact that his poems are like short stories that deal with real issues and I find them returning to me time after time in lots of differnet situations. Wonderful book I would recomend it to anyone.
on 9 July 2009
A brilliant book which I return to again and again. Jim Bennett was my tutor at creative writing workshops I attended some years ago. His work continues to inspire me, and I would recommend this book to anyone.
on 24 April 2014
These poems are written simply, with accessible language, describing poignant emotions and points of view. Yet the poet employs a variety of styles which keep the book flowing nicely.