4.0 out of 5 stars Generally the most reliable South American travel book
I can only assume the previous reviewer was extremely unlucky with her guide. I travelled South America for a looonng while and found Footprint 95% accurate. It's intelligent, well written, really comprehensive and well laid out.
Published on 29 Mar 2005 by E. Morris

1.0 out of 5 stars Biased, out of date travel information from Footprint
Published on 30 Jan 2005

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally the most reliable South American travel book, 29 Mar 2005
E. Morris (london, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: South American Handbook (Footprint Handbook) (Paperback)
The nature of travel is good places get bad, bad places improve, the tourist trail changes. A guidebook is just a guidebook: don;t rely too much on it. Not book will be totally perfect. Having said that, I found Footprint happily free of any silly mistakes or ommissions, that particularly plague Lonely Planet's thin and incomprehensive guide to the region.
Footprint has great historical content, extremly insightful backgound information on all sights, great photos, good layout. I would definitely reccommend it totally. The only groups it's nmot so hot for is for youth backpacking, as it doesn't concentrate so much on the cheapest end of the market, although hostels are listed.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is Like A Bible, 28 July 2005
This review is from: South American Handbook (Footprint Handbook) (Paperback)
I felt compelled to share my positive experiences with this book. It was like a bible to me when I travelled round South America. From Colombia to Brazil it guided me safely along and I got to visit a few gems that I would not have know about if I had had the Lonely Planet with me. Also I liked the way it lists if the hostels have hot water or not. I had to lend it to so many people who were using the lonely planet, and the number of times fellow backpackers followed me from the bus because I was the only one with a footprint guide, and therefore a map of the town, well lets just say I lost count. I can not use the language here that people used to describe the lonely planet South America guide ( and I have happily used the lonely planet in many countries). I am a big fan of the footprint guides, and this is simply the best.

1.0 out of 5 stars Biased, out of date travel information from Footprint, 30 Jan 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: South American Handbook (Footprint Handbook) (Paperback)
I have recently travelled through South America, using this guidebook, and was generally quite dissapointed and sometimes quite frustrated with it's content. For those of you that have the previous years copy, no need to buy the new one...it's just regurgitated in the latest one. I found particular problems in Chile. The book recommended many hostels as clean, safe, helpful and English speaking, yet most were the opposite on all counts. As a female travelling alone, this can be not only depressing but dangerous. I met many travellers who felt the same way as I do about the book, so I was not alone in my findings. Frankly, buy the Lonely Planet. For older LP's, updates you need can be found on their website by country and region. Basically, the Lonely Planet I had saved me on many occasions. Whatsmore, how useful can the Footprint books be when it gives more space and copy to reviews of services that have paid for advertising! And a note to the author - perhaps you should visit South America soon, as you don't seem to have done so lately.

South American Handbook (Footprint Handbook)
South American Handbook (Footprint Handbook) by Ben Box (Paperback - 27 Aug 2004)