5.0 out of 5 stars The Bitter Lemons of Helplessness, 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: Bitter Lemons of Cyprus (CSA Word Recording) (Audio CD)
Lawrence Durrell is an exceptionally gifted writer who uses all the art and craft of Writing to place you at a point in History and a geographical location where the deep processes of cultural progress are taking place , being tested and shaped for their future tasks.

In this work, "Bitter Lemons" we encounter the Greek love and hate for their British overseers and we taste the bitter lemon of the helplessness of the British foreign office to understand and deal with an early form of terrorism.
There is a tendency to believe that terrorism grows from an alien psychology which we do not understand. This work will challenge that assumption.

One critic once said that Lawrfence Durrels prose has the gravitas of T S Eliot's Poetry. There are undoubtedly moments where this is true.

Michael James

5.0 out of 5 stars A very human background to the EOKA uprising in Cyprus, 22 April 2013
I recently spent a week in Kyrenia and this book was recommended to me several times on the first day as background reading. Downloading it that evening, I read it with great pleasure and some surprise over the next few days. My image of the man was previously that of the effete older brother that Gerald Durrell portrayed as 'Larry' in 'My Family and Other Animals'. The person that comes over in this book is very different. He is observant and entertaining, with a lovely (if a little dated) turn of phrase. While the book is essentially autobiographical about his three years living in Bellapais in the early 1950's, through his friendships with a wide range of amusing local characters we get the background to the EOKA uprising which broke out against the British in 1955. The book clearly draws heavily on his notes made at the time and was published only two or three years later. It gives a very real impression of an unwilling uprising born of frustration that could have been resolved at a local level but became unmanageable once it became an international issue. In that sense it is a sad but very human book. Forty-three years ago I served as part of the United Nations Force in Cyprus - some time after the Eoka uprising. I wish I had known to read the book then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cyprus as it was before 1960, 20 April 2013
Ms. Susan James "Sue James" (Germany) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book for anybody interested in the more recent history of Cyprus when Turks and Greeks still lived side by side and played together. It clearly describes the mentality and attitudes of both races and village lfe in Cyprus. Durrell's language is a little too flowery for the modern reader, but he spoke Greek before he arrived and learned quickly to adjust to life in the Levant.

Good reading for anybody living in Cyprus, or who is interested in Cyprus today. It goes a long way to explain how and why the island developed into the state it is today.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful descriptions of the Kyrenia area sixty years ago, 16 April 2013
I spent four nights staying in a hotel within walking distance of Bellapais village described so vividly by Durrell when he lived there in the 1950s. Particularly interesting was his personal account of the problems at that time between the Turkish and Greek Cypriots and the British. I read it on my return home. I think I appreciated it more after having stayed in Northern Cyprus for a week. Although I landed at Larnaca I didn't visit the rest of Cyprus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lemons re-visited, 8 April 2013
I bought this fine little book about six years ago and found it, like lemons to be bittersweet. The first half is almost idyllic until the bitterness breaks about between the divided communities. I am travelling to Cyprus in a few days and hsve re-read it to refresh my memory. I intend to visit Bellapaise, Durrell's home in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 21 Mar 2013
Really enjoyed the language and imagery of this book. Read it prior to going to northern Cyprus and it enhanced the experience as it directed me to places I probably wouldn't have discovered otherwise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bitter Lemons, 17 Mar 2013
I bought the book as I am going to Cyprus soon and I wanted to read about the EOKA period to give me some background.
I enjoyed the book very much and would recommend it as a personal history of that period.

5.0 out of 5 stars A feel good book, 23 Feb 2013
Very good read. If you have read the Chris Walker books, you will love this. Really takes you to the actual place as you read on

5.0 out of 5 stars Bitter Lemons of Cyprus, 5 Dec 2012
A very good read, especially if you love Cyprus !! Either take it on holiday or read it curled up in bed !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bitter Lemons of cyprus, 30 Nov 2012
Having just visited Cyprus for the first time I found this extremely interesting and informative about how the situation developed and it certainly did not show Britain up in a good light

Bitter Lemons of Cyprus (CSA Word Recording)
Bitter Lemons of Cyprus (CSA Word Recording) by Lawrence Durrell (Audio CD - 15 May 2006)
14.04