5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple Reminder Of Simple Truths
I like this book very much and have read it several times. It's not really about Proust, it is about looking at the world like Proust. It is a simple reminder of the sort things we miss in life when we are immersed in the hurry-scurry of the rat-race. So if I'm a bit fed-up, I take up this book and learn to take a breath, while seeing the world afresh. I find the section...
Published on 3 Oct 2004 by Mr. S. J. Wade

2.0 out of 5 stars One for literary snobs
I am a mixed de Botton fan (some books I love, some I loathe) and I didn't enjoy this because I read it after 'Consolations of Philosophy', which is much, much better. I have to say that de Botton does write well and with a great deal of charm but is this book really saying anything. For example: De botton spends a fair number of pages in Chapter 1 discussing how we see...
Published on 26 Dec 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book, 1 Oct 1998
By A Customer
I've never read Proust before, and never thought I ever would, but having read this delicious little gem, I think I will start straightaway. This book is deeply infused with a love of literature, and it communicates it brilliantly to the reader.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable thought provoking, 27 Oct 2012
The summary as written on line prepared one for this book. No great surprises. Enjoyable to read if this is your taste in literature

3.0 out of 5 stars But not for the better, 8 Aug 2013
Alain de Botton is obviously a Proust fan. But reading this book made me sympathise with the reaction of publishers when La Recerche du Temps Perdu first appeared - that it was a self indulgent, overblown load of codswallop and that Proust himself was a neurotic, pathetic, hopeless individual obsessed with the details of the mundane.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 19 May 2013
What a very good read this was. Having read Swann's Way to date, I shall read the other volumes of the work with greater perception and insight. Also it's abook to dip into again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 9 Mar 2012
R. Goncalves (Letchworth, UK) - See all my reviews
Book arrived in very good order, couldnt be better for a used item. Havent had time to dig into it but from the few pages I read seems very promissing

5.0 out of 5 stars de Botton's best book?, 28 Oct 2009
He's a great chap, Alain de Botton; and by contrast Proust is a weird fish: a man who never removes his fur coat and lives in his bed! De Botton's extrapolations of Proust's scribblings into the world of philosophy are considerably more interesting than the famous Frenchman's tedious, rambling novels; so rather than boring yourself senseless struggling with Marcel's meandering metaphors and wandering infinite sentences just read 'How Proust Can Change Your Life' instead. It's funny, informative and uplifting... and well written! JP :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Sep 2014
Great

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, 3 Sep 2008
T. Young "Truth" (London) - See all my reviews
Insightful. Deffo going to read more of ADB's books. Comes at a different angle and solves a lot of modern day problems of living.

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy read, but superficial, 12 April 1999
By A Customer
This is a short, easy-to-read book -- which is good because it has very little to say and, if it were longer or harder, it wouldn't be worth the effort. I've never read Proust, but I have to imagine that his philosophy life wasn't as thin and banal as it sounds in Botton's description of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great on my shelf., 10 Feb 2013
I got this because I thought reading it would make me smarter. So far it has been on my shelf for a year and despite me not reading it, people think I have, so I look smarter anyway.

How Proust Can Change Your Life
How Proust Can Change Your Life by Alain de Botton (Audio CD - 31 Jan 2005)
Used & New from: £19.99