5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple Reminder Of Simple Truths
I like this book very much and have read it several times. It's not really about Proust, it is about looking at the world like Proust. It is a simple reminder of the sort things we miss in life when we are immersed in the hurry-scurry of the rat-race. So if I'm a bit fed-up, I take up this book and learn to take a breath, while seeing the world afresh. I find the section...
Published on 3 Oct 2004 by Mr. S. J. Wade

2.0 out of 5 stars A pain in De Botton.
Monsieur De Botton is a darling of the chattering classes in that he allows people to talk over dinner tables about books he has read for them.
However, this did not prepare me for the breathtaking vanity of this bourgeoise rent-a-philosopher.
On page 26 of my paperback edition I was stunned to see a half-page photo of the author's girlfriend, her name coupled...
Published 12 months ago by Devil's Advocate

5.0 out of 5 stars An opportunity to re-visit Proust's world, 16 April 1998
By A Customer
One of the biggest reasons for melancholy in my life is having already read Proust's Recherche: I can't have again the pleasure of reading it for the first time. Therefore the book by Alain de Botton was a great experience. It allows you to read again Proust without re-reading the novel. I recommend this book to all those who feel melancholy when they see the already read volumes of the Recherche on their shelves. José M Gómez. Spain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 21 Jan 2008
Daintree Peters (London & Sydney) - See all my reviews
I'm afraid to go and read 'In Search...' now, in case it is de Botton that I've been seduced by rather than Proust!

4.0 out of 5 stars More sprout than Proust, 14 July 2014
Enjoyably frustrating. Clever, thought-provoking and informative, but not wholly fulfilling. Makes you want to grow your knowledge and become more self-aware - and cleverer - and more perceptive.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reviews were great but . . ., 16 April 2014
I purchased this mainly because of the commendations on the published book. I have not yet finished it, and by the time I do, I may change my mind about the rating, but it is a very slow start . . .

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny and unexpected, 4 Mar 2014
Good for anyone wanting an idea of Proust 's thoughts. Not sure if it made me want to read him or not read him though !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars book, 24 Jan 2014
Interesting reading, it has not changed my view of Proust which I have always thought extremely boring. The seller experience was very good.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting read, 3 July 2013
A very pleasant book indeed but not in the same level as some of his other work. Nevertheless, an enjoyable and interesting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent holiday reading, 11 Sep 2009
Henry T. Sandford (UK) - See all my reviews
Standard De Botton; very easy to read, stops the subject matter getting to heavy. I'm never going to read Proust- in search of lost time, and now I don't have to. Really great book

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book, 1 Oct 1998
By A Customer
I've never read Proust before, and never thought I ever would, but having read this delicious little gem, I think I will start straightaway. This book is deeply infused with a love of literature, and it communicates it brilliantly to the reader.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable thought provoking, 27 Oct 2012
The summary as written on line prepared one for this book. No great surprises. Enjoyable to read if this is your taste in literature

How Proust Can Change Your Life
How Proust Can Change Your Life by Alain de Botton (Audio CD - 31 Jan 2005)
Used & New from: 19.99