5.0 out of 5 stars Fun in the sun. Not.
The Last Resort (great title) is an amazing collection of photographs.

Published on 9 Sep 2010 by Garth Algar

3.0 out of 5 stars Improves with age
When this first came out it seemed to me to be just another edition of Martin's documentary style of photography that I found slightly crude, perhaps cheap, and certainly bilious in its colours. I'll state upfront that I disliked Martin Parr's images from the word go when I first saw one of his first exhibitions, well before he became famous.

Perhaps it is the...
Published on 13 Feb 2012 by Digital-Finger

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun in the sun. Not., 9 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Last Resort (Hardcover)
The Last Resort (great title) is an amazing collection of photographs.

Apart from being visually stunning, they provide a fascinating window on a very specific time and place - New Brighton, a working class seaside resort in northern England in the mid 80s - not so very far away but a different world from the budget airline, foreign holiday generation of today. A time when bucket and spade holidays were still the norm, but seem to have lost any sense of excitement or genuine enjoyment.

I'm not sure how the viewer (with their nice expensive glossy coffee-table photography book) is expected to react to photos of things like children playing in litter-strewn water or people sunbathing in the shelter of rusty machinery in an industrial landscape. There is humour in the photos, but also a whiff of snobbery. I get the feeling the Parr may sometimes be laughing at, rather than with, the subjects, but it is a brilliant book of incredibly atmospheric photos nonetheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it!, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Last Resort (Hardcover)
I got this as a gift for someone else and i really didn't want to give it to them :( its amazing i am going to have to get another copy for myself :)

4.0 out of 5 stars British photography, 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Last Resort (Hardcover)
Martin Parr is known for his sarcastic photography. He always make me laugh.
And again this is a mirror of Britain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Britain at it's photographic heights!, 29 Jan 2014
A. C. Hale (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last Resort (Hardcover)
Parr's observations of Britain's social class is amusingly and tragically captured in this book. Parr always captures his subjects with a keen and satirical eye.

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could only take one such picture in my lifetime, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Last Resort (Hardcover)
I'm a fan of Martin Parr (in as far as I think to understand how he rolls) and his work. I had The Last Resort on my wish list for a while and included it in a year end photo book shopping spree.
Although I had seen most of the pictures beforehand I just had to have this classic myself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Improves with age, 13 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Last Resort (Hardcover)

Perhaps it is the sheer ubiquity of his work in general and this book in particular that has steered me into being more accepting his work but I am beginning to incline toward the historical position of this book's images in these interesting times as the crowbar that has opened the door of meaning and of value of them, for me.

This book just goes to show how little I knew back then I suppose, as over time I have come to actually appreciate the quality and value of his documentary style, though I still find his colours bilious; and so, now, reluctantly, I feel obliged to concede this book's rightful place as one of the more important documentary essays of our times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vivid colors, masterpiece, 3 Nov 2013
Davide Tambuchi "Davide" (Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last Resort (Hardcover)
Funny images, vivid colors, a denounce against mass tourism and agaist the Thatcher era. Sad times, well documented here. A must have book!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Last Resort: Leisure is no laughing matter, 23 Jun 2010
H. de Groot - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last Resort (Hardcover)
Leisure is no laughing matter, as photographer Martin Parr proves in this terrific book on visitors of Brighton. Their splendid desolation shines through in every shot: the older couple waiting in a restaurant, the annoyed waitress in an icebar and most haunting, the toddler embracing a fruit machine in a casino full of bored women. Unsparing as it is, Parr's eye on humanity is not without feeling and brings to mind the work of William Eggleston.

4.0 out of 5 stars If like Martin Parr, you'll love this!, 14 Nov 2013
Bawden - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last Resort (Hardcover)
If these photos were taken now we'd be saying it's eastern europe, and do I like these photos because they remind me of this time or because they're wonderful photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars A collectors piece, 11 Feb 2011
I. G. Wright (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last Resort (Hardcover)
I bought this because I wanted a collection of Martin Parr's early work. Controversial of course - his photography is not everyone's cup of tea - but I'm happy to have this on my bookshelf.

The Last Resort
The Last Resort by Martin Parr (Hardcover - 5 Nov 2009)
20.40