5.0 out of 5 stars New aga owner - thank you Richard Maggs!
We recently moved into a new house and inherited an Aga. I had only ever used an Aga once before when staying in a weekend cottage and then I only heated up mince pies in it - never actually attempted to cook on it.

Published on 30 Dec 2006 by Shezza77

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book with one annoying flaw.
Published on 20 Dec 2005

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars New aga owner - thank you Richard Maggs!, 30 Dec 2006
This review is from: The Complete Book of Aga Know-how (Aga and Range Cookbooks) (Paperback)

So I searched high and low for a book to explain to me how the Aga actually works - basics of what to cook where, and how, for how long, in what dishes, on what trays, special tricks and recipes etc etc. Even the basics of - what does each of the plates do, what does each oven do and WHAT ARE THEY CALLED! You wouldn't believe (or maybe you would, depending on your Aga knowledge and experience) the problems I had trying to get hold of such a book. I bought several Amy Willcocks books which helpfully gave me seasonal recipes for cooking pheasant and pigeon (very useful Amy, but how am I going to get through Xmas dinner this year without knowing how to cook my veg without losing my oven heat? which plate do I use for boiling milk and potatoes and what on earth is the other one for? can I use my normal pans and trays? what does the dial do? do I switch my aga off when I am away on hols? etc etc)

Sooooo luckily my brother managed to get hold of this book for me. Thank goodness! Everything I needed to know and more, in simple non patronising language, with diagrams, top tips and easy to read sections. I must have a later edition from the previous reviewer as my book has a great contents and an index. I can't fault it. Oh apart from the fact that - when I woke up on Xmas day and my Aga had switched itself off overnight (no - really - it could only happen to me!) there wasn't a phone line to RIchard Maggs direct for me to call him and get him round to help me. Never mind!

Highly recommended for all new Aga owners and also, I suspect, for more experienced Aga owners as there is a whole plethora of cooking tips contained in here. Enjoy!

PS forgot to mention. I now absolutely adore my Aga and can't believe the difference in results from modern cookers. Working long hours I also love slow roasting meat all day and coming home to a beautifully tender joint of lamb, ready to go (and a house smelling of welcoming home cooking - ha)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book with one annoying flaw., 20 Dec 2005
By A Customer
This book is packed with invaluable tips and information for both new and experienced aga owners. It is also written in a way that makes it a great read. My one criticism and it's one that drives me mad is that there is no index! Therefore when you know you've read something that you want to refer to again, you have to thumb through the whole book in the hope of finding it.

5.0 out of 5 stars must have for aga owners old and new, 14 Feb 2007
This book was all i needed and more! as an ex-aga owner about to become one again this book has been a real treasure.
it has loads of tips, some of which i had forgotten and lots i didnt know. if you are looking for a straight cookery book, then this isnt one. if you are a competent cook or need something to make you think about what you are doing in a logical manner when cooking you will soak up this book.
it is written in a friendly rational style, no condecension here! the layout is easily accessible with tables for baking and an excellent one on 'good' and 'bad' aga practice. really get you thinking and doing a proper job.

well, i guess i liked it! highly reccomended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to know, 29 Jan 2009
Sue (Devon UK) - See all my reviews
This book was recommended to me by the chef who does our local Aga demonstrations as I am a new Aga owner. Definitely lives up to expectations, whilst it does not contain recipes it tells you where to cook things and helps convert existing recipes. It also gives the guide oven temperatures which do not seem to be available in any other Aga books including Aga's new owners manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful book, 5 Jan 2009
Having just taken over an elderly but fully functioning AGA I hoped that this book would be helpful. It is. On the basis that one good recipe in a cook book justifies its purchase, this book pays back its price on the porridge recipe alone! It is reassuringly bereft of illustration but packed with fascinating and useful information. Highly reccommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars extremely useful!, 29 May 2008
Ms. K. A. Gee - See all my reviews
I have just bought this as a present for my mum as she has just bought her aga, this book literally covers everything you need to know about an aga, i never realised how complicated it was until trying to cook! it tells u, basically in lamens terms exactly what to do, and where to do it! I would recommend this for anyone who has just bought/received/inherited an aga!

5.0 out of 5 stars aga know how, 10 Feb 2013
Never having owned an aga before I found this book most helpful on how to use the it. There aren't many recipes but I've got plenty of those.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good guide, 12 Jan 2013
I have been a long time user of Agas in the past, but after a break of a few years without one, on being reunited with one, wanted to be reminded of various aspects. I actually have learnt things regarding heat conservation I wish I had known in the past, when the heat went down whilst cooking Christmas dinner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wee book, 14 Oct 2010
This book just does what is says it will do, i.e. helps with knowing what the heck to do with an Aga... I was a bit lost as had never used one before, but this book is excellent for tips and hints. A very good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Font of all knowledge for aga owners, 3 Oct 2010
What Richard Maggs doesn't know about Agas is not worth knowing. A genius. This book is packed with useful information and it is like someone holding your hand while you get used to your Aga.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa9d12600)

The Complete Book of Aga Know-how (Aga and Range Cookbooks)
The Complete Book of Aga Know-how (Aga and Range Cookbooks) by Richard Maggs (Paperback - 10 Dec 2004)
6.99