on 20 November 2012
I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone interested in discovering and applying a proven, practical way of improving their posture. The author has an extremely rare gift of being able to write about a complex topic in a highly accessible way. The use of illustrations and case studies brings the ideas alive in a very engaging manner. The author's many years of experience shine through as she challenges commonly held beliefs about posture. There is a clear progression through the book, introducing Alexander Technique principles and always relating these to real-life examples. This kept me on board with the theory so that once I got to Section 2 (Postural 5-a-day exercises), I was confident to put the ideas into practice. In my experience, books about the Alexander Technique tend to shy away from suggesting ways of working alone - apart from suggesting lying down. What really sets this book apart is the author's invitation to start applying Alexander thinking processes to a range of specially designed exercises to improve posture. I'm sure this is going to be one of those books I return to again and again.
22 comments14 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 June 2013
Hurrah. A book on Alexander Technique for the general public Most books are written for people who practice the technique already, which is great for them, but majority of the population don't even know what it is. Carolyn Nichols book informs and gives people practical advice on how to start applying the principles. She has given information to allow people to start to explore their own bodies, without it becoming overwhelming. I think the methods she has used to communicate the information are varied and helpful. More please.
on 24 December 2012
This book is based on the "Alexander Course" which my wife has been on and this book is well worth having as it includes and has extra exercises which has benefitted her a lot as she used to suffer from neck and shoulder pain but now it has eased quite a lot, overall it's a good book, interesting and informative, and well worth having
on 24 June 2013
What a breath of fresh air this book is! Easy to read and lots of great pics. What I found particularly helpful was how I could easily refer back to it. A very useful addition to the bookshelf.
on 18 June 2013
I found this an excellent practical guide - well structured and intellligently organised. The illustrations are clear and easy to follow - the language conversational and without jargon.
on 31 October 2013
Well written and informative on a subject that is increasing with our teenagers. I bought the book for my son who plays sport and wants to prevent injury by making sure his posture is correct.

Great book would recommend.
on 3 March 2014
Been having Alexander lessons and borrowed this book from the library. I found it to be an excellent guide and vary useful between lessons and so bought my own copy.
on 23 April 2014
Easy to understand with a good selection of simple actions which can be taken to improve one's posture, appearance, and mindset.
on 10 September 2014
Great book recommended by my spinal surgeon, well priced and fast delivery too.
on 11 July 2013
The Posture Workbook can be used purely as a self-help book and the videos that are linked to it also expand our understanding of the Alexander Technique. However its most effective use may be when being read alongside taking Alexander Technique lessons, perhaps also in conjunction with another book by Carolyn Nicholls, 'Body Breath and Being' with its popular downloadable audio tracks. These two books engage the reader in an active process of self-discovery. They offer really good tools we can use to develop more understanding of how to bring about changes in ourselves and how the Alexander Technique can help us to do this.

The fact that Carolyn Nicholls calls Alexander Technique procedures 'exercises' in The Posture Workbook may seem confusing, as they are not the sort of exercises many people would expect! Rather they are procedures designed to develop our self-awareness, so that we can better understand our habits of posture and body-use and Nicholls describes them with straightforward English that avoids jargon, inviting the reader to explore new ways of thinking about our bodies.

The Posture Workbook presents the Alexander Technique in a fresh and engaging way and is a useful tool for people who just want to learn more about how to modify their posture - and it is also useful for Alexander teachers and their pupils.