• Candy

Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 March 2006
Being only 13 years of age, I am not sure that this book is intended for my age group. The reason being, that this book is so powerfull, and overwhelming, that this book really gets to you, probably, because the story is so detailed, and realistic, and you can really empathise with the characters, particually Joe, and you can feel emotions from everyones point of view. The start of the book leaves the reader gagging for more, and soon reals you in, until you can't put it down. The great thing about Candy, is that it tackles many issues, that other authors, are too scared to tackle, that are too complex to address in this way, and the result is a dark complex book, with a mixture of love, hatred, and the fight to beat Heroin, including all the painful side effects of withdrawing. Candy is an excellent piece, and I would thoroughly recommend Kevin Brooks as an Author too, Kissing the rain, and Lucas being other excellent works. I would probably recommend this for anyone between the ages of fifteen, and forty! Enjoy!
on 28 April 2005
What is about Brooks that he can get straight to the heart of the matter? That he can reel you in and have his characters haunting you long after you've finished reading?
Candy is just brilliant. Lucas was one of the most moving books I've read in a long time, but Candy will certainly give it a run for its money. Like Lucas, 'it gets to you', this book.
Candy is honest and gritty, yet deeply moving. It's a love story, a thriller and an action story the like of which I haven't read since Great Expectations. That's saying something!
on 22 February 2005
I thought that this book was excellent; Joe had an innocent disposition that made him an irresistible character. I couldn't put it down. I am a very finicky reader, so when I do find a good book, I get hooked on the author. All I have to say is that I thought it was amazing and enticing. A great escapist read.
on 27 July 2006
This book is excellent . It is about a boy named Joe who meets a girl named Candy, a prostitute and drug addict. He tries to wrestle with the notion that he loves her, but knows her dangerous truth. He cannot help but keep skiving off school to meet her. He is completely in love and nothing anybody says about her dark life will change it. Until her pimp gets involved.

The end is scary and hooking. Joe has to decide who is more impoortant: his sister, or the girl he is in love with?
on 7 January 2016
I liked this book. What happens when Candy enters Joe's life? Told from Joe's perspective we see Candy and her character unfold and we learn about life, love, selflessness, greed and addiction. Joe has a boyish innocence about him and Candy is only too worldly wide. I like Mr Brooks' style and shall be reading more from this author.
on 3 April 2005
I am a huge fan of Kevin Brooks but when I read Candy I was WAY more than just a person who liked his books. I felt as if I was there the whole time, experiencing every emotion that Joe felt and craving to here about Candy again. It is one of those books that you never want to finish, and when I got to the end, I sat in silence for a minute just thinking about Joe and Candy and Iggie and everyone. I was so IN to the book that it felt strange doing every day things afterwards because I felt that I didn't belong. This book is AMAZING and you should definately read it.
on 21 December 2006
The style of writing began to annoy me after a while, and the storyline seemed very basic and not very well thought-out. It seemed unbelieveable and became a chore to finish, which was a shame as I rather enjoyed the parts about the main character's band.
on 22 March 2007
Candy. What can i say. Amazing! I picked up this book not knowing much about it, one of the best books ive read if im honest. The detail thats inside all those pages makes you think, and even makes you think about it when youve finished.

It is one of those books that hits you, and hard!

You can feel the emotion of Candy but especially Joe, you can see how badly he falls in love with her from the beginning of the book. The begininning of the book is just about a boy and a girl, an average girl. As you start to get into this book you see the real candy and i could not manage myself to put this book down.

I recommend reading this book to teens and over really cos its that great!
on 18 August 2010
I am also 13 years old and I loved this book! Personally I like these types of books that make you think about them even when you have finished them. I found this book full of excitement, laughter and at times a bit sad-emotionally. If you're the type of person who likes a deep story then this is a book for you. It takes a bit of time to get into but after you get to grips with the characters in the book it just carries you away. If you enjoyed this book then you should try Black Rabbit Summer by Kevin Brooks. You won't regret it.-Olivia Beavers
on 13 October 2006
Gripping, honest, raw, beautiful! I would recommend it to everyone. It is one of those books that you read really fast, yet stay with you forever. The main character, Joe Beck is so wonderfully portrayed, you feel like you are in his head, and you completely relate in so many ways, no matter who you are, because he is simply so human..