• Candy

Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 April 2005
What is about Brooks that he can get straight to the heart of the matter? That he can reel you in and have his characters haunting you long after you've finished reading?
Candy is just brilliant. Lucas was one of the most moving books I've read in a long time, but Candy will certainly give it a run for its money. Like Lucas, 'it gets to you', this book.
Candy is honest and gritty, yet deeply moving. It's a love story, a thriller and an action story the like of which I haven't read since Great Expectations. That's saying something!
on 22 February 2005
I thought that this book was excellent; Joe had an innocent disposition that made him an irresistible character. I couldn't put it down. I am a very finicky reader, so when I do find a good book, I get hooked on the author. All I have to say is that I thought it was amazing and enticing. A great escapist read.
on 27 March 2006
Being only 13 years of age, I am not sure that this book is intended for my age group. The reason being, that this book is so powerfull, and overwhelming, that this book really gets to you, probably, because the story is so detailed, and realistic, and you can really empathise with the characters, particually Joe, and you can feel emotions from everyones point of view. The start of the book leaves the reader gagging for more, and soon reals you in, until you can't put it down. The great thing about Candy, is that it tackles many issues, that other authors, are too scared to tackle, that are too complex to address in this way, and the result is a dark complex book, with a mixture of love, hatred, and the fight to beat Heroin, including all the painful side effects of withdrawing. Candy is an excellent piece, and I would thoroughly recommend Kevin Brooks as an Author too, Kissing the rain, and Lucas being other excellent works. I would probably recommend this for anyone between the ages of fifteen, and forty! Enjoy!
on 22 March 2007
Candy. What can i say. Amazing! I picked up this book not knowing much about it, one of the best books ive read if im honest. The detail thats inside all those pages makes you think, and even makes you think about it when youve finished.

It is one of those books that hits you, and hard!

You can feel the emotion of Candy but especially Joe, you can see how badly he falls in love with her from the beginning of the book. The begininning of the book is just about a boy and a girl, an average girl. As you start to get into this book you see the real candy and i could not manage myself to put this book down.

I recommend reading this book to teens and over really cos its that great!
on 18 August 2010
I am also 13 years old and I loved this book! Personally I like these types of books that make you think about them even when you have finished them. I found this book full of excitement, laughter and at times a bit sad-emotionally. If you're the type of person who likes a deep story then this is a book for you. It takes a bit of time to get into but after you get to grips with the characters in the book it just carries you away. If you enjoyed this book then you should try Black Rabbit Summer by Kevin Brooks. You won't regret it.-Olivia Beavers
on 13 October 2006
Gripping, honest, raw, beautiful! I would recommend it to everyone. It is one of those books that you read really fast, yet stay with you forever. The main character, Joe Beck is so wonderfully portrayed, you feel like you are in his head, and you completely relate in so many ways, no matter who you are, because he is simply so human..
on 1 March 2009
After reading Kevin Brooks, 'Black Rabbit Summer' i quickly decided i need to read more of his works and, well...
I wasn't disappointed!
'Candy' tackles some delicate issues in the world today, not failing to grip the audience at the same time with an in-depth story which deals with the plot as it should be dealt with! The character's arn't just descriptions on the page, they feel like people you know, as you share their emotions and feelings - it allows Candy to hook you as well! Development of character's and the story works well, as well as giving insight to the younger generation on problems such as 'withdrawal.'
All in all, a must buy!

I know i'll be buying more books from Kevin Brooks... :)
on 7 June 2008
I bought this book for my early twelve year old daughter. She seemed absorbed in it and instead of staring at screens like the telly and pc she wanted to read it instead! The content was a bit too much for her and she seemed to have difficulty with adjusting to some of the content especially when the relationship got a bit too much. i would say this book would be suitable for a sixteen years and above. Kevin seems to write books that are sometimes gory so I would suggest his books would be suitable to some-one who doesn't get affected by these sorts of things.
Even so he is a very successful writer. His books are nail bitters and he gets you close to the characters. The books are gripping, books that you can't put down.
on 29 February 2008
I found this book to be absolutely amazing. I actually skipped classes to read this book, because I just couldn't put it down. I started reading it in the morning, and read it all in one day (which is rare, since I usually hate reading). This is the second best book I have ever read, and only second to "Lucas", also written by Kevin Brooks. I definitely recommend ALL of his books (as I've read all but his two most recent), but this is definitely worth your time and money. It's so compelling that even at the end, you just keep wanting more! I even wrote to him to ask for a sequal!
on 15 June 2010
I picked up this book because I had nothing else to read, and it was the best choice I've ever made!
This book was absolutely thrilling and amazing and I honestly could not put this book down.
I recommend it strongly, and I cannot emphasize it enough: Please buy this book and it will change your view of things!
Candy has everything a book needs, and I was devastated when I finished it (after two days).
Right now I'm reading my way through other books by Kevin Brooks, as he is a thoroughly brilliant author.