5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insight into the world of Rego, 9 Nov. 2003
R. Horton "WW2-Private-Gamer" (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
A fabulous collection of images from the prolific Rego supported by interesting analysis and, most fascinating, interviews with the artist about her craft. I loved reading about the inspiration behind the work of this superb figurative artist, whose dark images are full of such subliminal messages -puzzles which the viewer must uncover. Like a really good book, Rego's pictures work on so many different levels and the text helps in the process of demystification. Very reasonably priced for the content.

5.0 out of 5 stars gorgeous, 16 Aug. 2007
svr (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a brilliant collection of Rego's prints, beautifully reproduced and accompanied by some insightful writing. As someone who's always greatly admired (the little I knew of) her work but who wasn't familiar with any of her graphic stuff, I was thrilled with this book - page after page reveals her typical take on narrative, her usual mix of the innocent and the sinister, things playful and everyday and fantastical and foreboding. The mainly monochrome prints (a good few are hand-coloured) really show off Rego's great skill as a draughtswoman as well as her command of tone when it comes to creating an atmosphere.
I thought buying this online (ie, unseen) might be a bit of a gamble, but it has more than paid off, and I would hazard a guess that if you enjoy the quality of Rego's handiwork as much as the stories underlying it, this will delight and entertain you too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A consise book offering a colourful history of the artist, 22 Feb. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Paula Rego (Paperback)
Rego should be recognized as one of the most influential painters/print makers of the last century. Her evocative subject matter is exciting and disturbing. The themes are both nostalgic and allarming with a measure of wicked humour. Rich in so many ways, if you've ever been a child then Rego will stir up some sort of reaction! This book is a collection of masterpieces, and the accompanying text is a colourful history, as entertining as the work itself. In a nutshell, the images are as eccentric and beautiful as the artist herself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint-hearted, 10 Dec. 2009
I first stumbled across Paula Rego's work at a London tube station, which was displaying a poster for her exhibition at the old Saatchi gallery. It was 'The Pillowman', and I was instantly hooked. A lot of Rego's work is centred around childhood (nursery rhymes, Victorian school 'hell') and something struck a cord for me, her expression of darkness and fear as part of a child's world rings very true. The accompanying commentary of the illustrations in this book is good but tame - reading Paula Rego's own interpretation in a recent newspaper article, she is far more open and brutal about the content of particular works, especially the sexual connotations in many of her drawings. I have had this book for four years now and still pick it up regularly. As with the previous reviewer, I purchased it 'unseen' and was not disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect introduction, 25 July 2013
Eleanor (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I became interested in Paula Rego after reading an interview with her in The White Review. This book, published by the Tate, provides a perfect introduction to the artist. Eight thematic chapters provide an overview of the various stages in Rego's work (up to the year 2000), these comprise: early work, animal paintings, family pictures, printmaking, the National Gallery, Dog Women and Disney, Father Amaro, and finally, After Hogarth and Celestina's House. An essay on 'The antisocial in the social' brings everything together and includes works up to 2002.

The book has over 100 well-chosen colour reproductions (although I accompanied my reading by looking up further works on the internet) and the text is interesting and accessible. Fiona Bradley makes good use of interviews conducted with Rego herself and there is also an interview with her printmaking collaborator Paul Coldwell, as well as analysis from her late husband Victor Willing. Finally each chapter ends with a full page reproduction and in-depth discussion of one work which exemplifies the themes of the chapter.

I finished the book even more enthusiastic about Rego's work and eager to see more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my art degree, 13 Feb. 2012
jennacide (North West, England) - See all my reviews
When I was completing my final collection during my Fine Art degree, I was working with the themes of unease, ambiguity and similar ideas, and had already found a massive influence in Paula Rego. This book was both very useful for my work and really interesting in its own right. I would tell any Rego fan to invest in this.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic book!, 28 Sept. 2011
This book is exactly what I was looking for!! Includes all the illustrations I am studying and there is loads of written info on Paula Rego, great price, great book, very happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book!, 21 Jun. 2013
It contains ''all the graphic work" of one of the best British painters of today. And definitely ,to my Knowledge, the best graphic artist, together with David Hockney.The pictures taken of her work here are really of amazing quality.
John

5.0 out of 5 stars Paula Rego graphic work, 14 Aug. 2013
An excellent well illustrated book which covers the wide range of Rego`s imagination and the versatility of her printmaking.I would recomend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT book! Totally UNFORGETTABLE to both read/see!, 26 July 2011
P. M. Ramnora "pramgoat" (UK, London) - See all my reviews
First, I have to admit I do NOT own this book, yet; though, I am seriously thinking about buying it; if only I wasn't on such a low budget; then, I really wouldn't even wait...!

I am a Morley College student studying a course called, Fine Arts Pre-Foundation; which introduces you to many different kinds of art; including printmaking, -etc.

When I walked into Morley College library one day; I saw a whole stack of books being displayed near the front desk showing off the work of rather rare 'female artists'. In amongst these books was, 'Paula Rego, Complete Graphic Work.'

The name meant something to me, already; as I recalled previously seeing one or two of her drawings/prints at Tate Gallery in London, Pimlico, 2011; and, then, I was very deeply impressed by the sheer quality of her 'realistic' drawing skills; her ability to capture a persons 'character' in depth; the way each picture seems to tell a whole entire story; as well as, her really strong use of design/color/bold imagination.

It was a huge A4 sized hardback book/thick, and, really heavy; made from 'good quality' paper. I knew there was no way I would be able to study reading/seeing the whole book in just a couple hours at college; so, instead, I elected to go take the book back home with me.

All I can say is, I did NOT wish to return the book back to the library, again, ever! The more I saw...the more I liked seeing; the more I read about her...then, the more I wanted to read. Even, today, none of my interest has waned; in fact, just before I came here to go write this...I was on YouTube searching to find out more about artist, Paula Rego. If you haven't encountered seeing her work, before; then, I think, this has got to be the 'best introduction' to it ever; as I promise, it will have you hooked; and, then, keep you hooked even when you close the last page.

Concerning the books actual content; well, it covers almost everything from childhood story illustrations, to portraits, self-portraits, group portraits, sexual themes(with sex implied/rather than explicit), -etc. There is both black and white/and, too, colour reproductions; and, basically, it's a huge catalogue of her work going all the way from the past right up to the present day. I remember thinking to myself, I'm amazed that any 'one' single artist can produce such work; all of it of the most incredible 'top quality'; and, in such huge volumes, too; and, yet, after many years and years going to visit seeing galleries, I hardly even knew her name?! Believe me, this woman's work is, simply, SUPERB! A 'master' modern day female artist.

Paula Rego 2006
Paula Rego 2006 by Paula Rego (Paperback - 1 Oct. 2006)
Used & New from: £10.41