4.0 out of 5 stars Supermac - when football was real football, 3 Oct. 2003
susan snoxell (Newport Pagnell, Bucks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Excellent. Concentrates on the football without giving too much away on home life except for the teenage years. But as most people will be buying for the football side then this suits me fine. Very honest and pulls no punches in naming those who crossed Supermac. Whilst he has mellowed as the years have advanced, he's not as old as you may think, you get the impression he would still sort out a few if given the right circumstances.
For someone who had such a successful career, I found it surprising he had so many football regrets and disappointments. 'Football' you feel let Supermac down when he most needed help and support.
Well worth the investment - get it now. I don't read many books - they fail to keep me interested but this one is well worth the investment in time and money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 29 Dec. 2008
C. Hayward "Kwiss" (UK) - See all my reviews
'Supermac' is the reason I now support Newcastle - he was the No.9 at St.James' Park in the early '70's when I first started going and I was immeadietley hooked on both he as a player and supporting the club.
I was naturally interested in hearing his view on events at SJP in his days there and in particular, his relationship with Joe Harvey and Gordon Lee. I was not disappointed, and amazed at the amateur goings on at the club in relation to the Board's behaviour in particular, the farcical preparation for the ill-fated FA Cup Final in 1974.
'Supermac' is a fascinating story about a real person and his frailties and the so-called 'characters' in the game of football.
Great for any fellow Toon fans who witnessed his fantastic goals at SJP - the hairs on the back of your neck would stand up when Supermac got the ball and launched a run forward at the opposition's goal, with the crowd bellowing their support.Happy days!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BISHOP OF ST JAMES....SUPERMAC!, 7 July 2013
MY GREATEST THRILL AS A KID WAS PLAYING FOOTBALL IN BISHOP PARK NEXT DOOR TO CRAVEN COTTAGE.(MALCOLM MACDONALD).TO THE OUTSIDE WORLD HE WAS ALWAYS PRESENTED AS A BIG HEAD,BIG MOUTH,COCKY,EVEN HEREFORD FANS CHANTED MACDONALD IS A FAIRY!.BUT FOR NON FANS OF THE TOON,WHO LIKE SPORTING AUTOBIOGRAPHYS, I WOULD SAY YOU MIGHT THINK AGAIN AFTER READING THIS. FOR SUPERMACS STORY IS A SENSITVE AND HONEST ONE,THE EARLY DEATH OF HIS FATHER,SHAPED ONE OF THE 70S ICONIC SPORTSMEN.THE TOUCHING DESCRIPTION OF HIS MOTHER AND HIS PART IN RUNNING THE FAMILY SHOP FOLLOWING HIS FATHERS DEATH REALLY SHOULD WARM YOU TO THE REST OF THE STORY.IF ANYBODY WOULD LIKE TO SEE WHAT MADE MACDONALD SUPER I WOULD SAY JUST BUY THE BIG MATCH DVD OF NEWCASTLE IN THE 70S!.. A PLAYER WHO,S PERSONALITY, POWER AND PACE,AND MOST OF ALL FANTASTIC GOALS! IN FRONT OF THE ONLY CROWD GOOD ENOUGH TO WORSHIP HIM...AND THEY DID. PLEASE BUY THIS BOOK THROUGH AMAZON UK.

4.0 out of 5 stars Super hard back., 14 Jan. 2009
I was looking for another football biography to read over Christmas and when I saw my fellow readers reviews thought, that`ll do for me. I was not disappointed. This is a fine read, about one of the iconic figures of seventies football in England. Malcolm does not gloss over the less than edifying aspects of the game and the chapter detailing his England career is nothing short of amazing. It is worth buying the book just to read that chapter alone. The rest is pretty good too and he does not hold back from naming names. Strangely, for a football biography of that period there is no mention of the greatest player around the League at that time, but despite being devoid of any mention of George this remains one of the best books around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Mac Donalds, 25 July 2007
This review is from: Supermac: My Autobiography (Paperback)
Completely changed my view of him as a person.

Very open and honest about himself and his faults. why arent footballers like this anymore??? shame bring back real characters.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Aug. 2014
excellent

Supermac: My Autobiography
Supermac: My Autobiography by Colin Malam (Paperback - 5 Aug. 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01