Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 September 2009
Fab pocket guide, full of interesting, fascinating facts on the subject.
Spiced up with annecdotes and historical references, clear and precise explanations.
Beautiful antique prints to illustrate throughout. Just right to take out on an explore.
on 23 October 2011
A very useful little book, not so much for would-be murderers as for protective parents wanting to know what not to grow in the garden or pick on country walks. It is well illustrated with good descriptions of the plants and their habitat and warns of similar plants that they may be confused with.
on 10 August 2012
This is a good book, well written. But the plant images are in black and white and this hinders identification in my opinion.
on 10 December 2008
The author takes us on an eye-opening journey through the British countryside as he details some of the most common (and not so common) poisonous plants around. A useful and informative guide - I will not look at plants the same again!
on 25 November 2013
Arrived in excellent condition and very promptly as well

Book itself is weel written and interesting for anyone with a inerest in obscure plants - does state not to be used exclusively as a field guide. Would reccomend getting a colour and up to date illustrated plant guide
on 27 April 2016
I am really impressed by this book. The cover design is fantastic and looks better than the photos do justice to, the paper is really nice and the illustrations are the best I think I have ever seen in a nature book. I normally get really annoyed with anything other than photos but these illustrations are as good as photos and indeed better than a lot of plant photos I have seen, which is even more impressive considering they are black and white. For a forager it is probably one of the most important books to add to a collection. There are many books that try to identify edible or medicinal flora and fungi but if you are unable to recognise the poisonous ones you are not going to last long. This is the only book I have so far seen that deals exclusively with that subject. It obviously can't cover everything but it covers enough to awaken the caution that is so often missing even in experienced foragers.
on 30 November 2013
I enjoyed the mixture of informative and entertaining, a good book to browse. I love the illustrations, they add beautifully to the text. This would make a good little gift to anyone who enjoys plants and probably any Shakespeare fans!
on 8 July 2015
Although the size was written down in the description and I was wholly disappointed. Its a shame all books are getting smaller and typescript getting smaller too. This would have been a beautiful book if of a larger size rather than pocket book. Although, I can see the idealology in it being smaller as one could take it out and about. Personally I like a larger book. Shame really as I would have bought the other books in the series.
on 15 April 2011
I found this book informative, but rather smaller and shorter than I expected. If I'm honest I think there are probably similar books out there that offer better value for money.
on 23 June 2014
Great little book for the would-be murderer or murderess!

I have a friend with a six year old girl called Oleander, who is named after a poisonous tree. I'm going to give this book to her for her next birthday, I think it would be a hit!!!!