5.0 out of 5 stars Under Brinkie's Brae, 30 Jun 2005
This review is from: Under Brinkie's Brae (Paperback)
I am just back from a week travelling among the enchanting Orkney Isles, based on Stromness, the home of its author. His collected articles from The Orcadian newspaper February 1976 to July 1979 take us through the history of the islands, his everyday life, as well as his childhood, which we feel priveleged to share. Having toured the mainland and the Isle of Hoy, touched the Magnus Festival at the breathtaking St. Magnus Cathedral, his past writings, feed the present moment so adequately, his writtings suddenly take on new life, new texture.
Sharing the life of this working journalist and poet, his treasured and sometimes very ordinary moments,(for me the amature writer)'Under Brinkie's Bray', was a privilege indeed. It has become my guide to the islands as well as the hidden literature. I could not rise to the £35 for his Collected Poems at the Orcadian Bookshop in Kirkwall, but by tapping into Amazon I have discovered a new resource, at affordable prices.
Tapping into Sue Tordoff's website on GMB I have also discovered that GMB's early novel is in the 100 top Scottish Books running alongside Harry Potter and other current sell outs. GMB certainly deserves your attention if you are an Island lover, a lover of wild places, and simple heartfelt renditions of such out of this world places.
My journey planned for 2006 will be Benbecula and the Uists. Thus I will have completed my own Odyssey to all the islands - pity they don't have a poet of their own - or have they? Maybe you know of one.
Bernard Walker
North Lincolnshire
Living with his wife, Japaneses Koi, on his own wild acre; in an ancient cottage the at foot of the wolds
see ([...]

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem from GMB, 11 Aug 2011
R. Cornaby "rodotskii" (South East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Under Brinkie's Brae (Paperback)
Couldn't agree more with the previous review - I took this book out of my local library in Hove on a whim and was fascinated by his superb weekly articles for the Orcadian, covering nature, the seasons and the simple hub-bub of life in the islands. I love his reporting of the arrival of TV to the islands... An excellent read!

Under Brinkie's Brae
Under Brinkie's Brae by George Mackay Brown (Paperback - 17 Mar 2003)