5.0 out of 5 stars Bite me!
Published on 27 May 2009 by Me read

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but...
Published on 5 Jun 2008 by katie-louise

5.0 out of 5 stars Bite me!, 27 May 2009
Me read (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is YA fiction and I'm not even close to the target audience. It's been a lot of years since I belonged in the 'teen' category BUT... despite that, I loved this book! I think it might be because the 17 year old that I once was is still fresh in my mind, and if I squint when I look in the mirror I can still see her (she just got better looking over the last couple of decades *grin*).

A five star book for me is one that I have to tear myself away from and these have to be amongst the better 5 star books I've read recently. I could not put them down, regardless of whether I fit in the target deomographic or not. I have no idea why I was so enamoured with this particular story but it just grabbed me, literally from the first chapter. It has it's flaws, and at times those flaws tried to pull me away from the pages while I wrestled with my beliefs but never did I feel like I couldn't go on. I'm actually mystified why this is such a great series, I wish I could put my finger on it but it escapes me. I am fond of a bit of vampire lit, it's true, but this goes beyond that....I think. I can't say the writing is superlative so it's not that.....but what is it? I wish I knew. Answers on a postcard, please.

Bella is a complete feminists' nightmare and I can see why that would put a lot of people off of her, but at 17 love is blind so I'm willing to forgive Bella on that score. Edward is so uber male that he fairly reeks testosterone and again, that may grate on some readers but lets put things in perspective, he's the ultimate predator and has had nearly a century of dominating his prey so on that score I'm willing to forgive him his overly masculine nature. This nurture/love thing is new for him too......

Ultimitely, lets not forget that this is a tale of vampire love which is aimed at teens/young adults and the usual complexities and concerns that come with real life won't apply here. I for one am glad to slip into Bella and Edward's world and remember what it was to be young and in the throes of first love. If you have an imagination and are willing to suspend your disbelief then you might enjoy this story. It's an enjoyable bit of escapism to while away a few hours/days but if your usual reading material tends to be the classics and nothing more, then you probably will feel the need to return here with you own 1 or 2 star review.

I devoured all 4 books in 4 days and I want to tell everyone to read them as I loved them so much, but I realise that everyone has different tastes so all I can recommend is that you read the reviews and make your own mind up from there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teenlit? I don't think so!!, 24 Nov 2009
How did I miss these books?

A girl in my class ( 8 year old!) was reading some sort of comic book 'add-on'about Twilight....upon questioning I found she had read all of the Bella and Edward books, and this explained to me why so much of the writing in school was punctuated with references to people named 'Bella' and 'Edward'. (Such old-fashioned names I had thought...in my ignorance.)
I did a bit of research on Amazon and found that they were aimed at teenagers (female I guess).
At the same time I discovered in an idle moment, on Anytime TV the first film in the series and I was mesmerised by it.
Let me add that I am no teenager....add on another 45+ years!
From this film I managed to borrow a copy from one of my class so that I could see whether it really was the disparaging unreadable 'teenlit' I had read about.
A brief read made it clear to me that you really do need to judge for yourself. Forget the sniffy comments about the lack of literary expertise.....I was delighted and enthralled. You don't read this trilogy for a clever literary fix - that is not the attraction. After the first few pages you simply transport to Bella's world and the entrancing attraction.... I defy anyone female of any age to argue this....of meeting a man who is everything you can possibly want.
The attraction is very simple....Ms Meyer understands the female psyche very well. She has written about an ordinary girl with an ordinary life who expects to spend (as we all do) a perfectly ordinary life carved out in the normal mundane way. In fact she meets a vampire and the rest is a love story that is so fulfilling that it had me breathless, laughing and crying in turns.
It is a while since I have read anything so powerful that held me so captive, and I have been reading widely for years!
I could not put the books down...I read by torchlight while my husband slept and ignored the real-life mundanities of washing and ironing for a weekend so that I could keep reading.
This saga is an absolute page-turner. It is impossible to put down.
Some people have said that Bella is a 'moaner'. I think she is a perfect (human)counterbalance to Edwards perfection. Even at my age I found him the most attractive and beguiling creature ever. Well...he would be! Such devotion and understanding! And I think this is the attraction. We may all have partners, boyfriends and husbands, but do they come close to Edward? I doubt that very much and I have been happily married for nearly forty years!
Who would not want the unerring constancy of a staggeringly beautiful male?
Is such love true to life? I doubt it...putting aside the vampire bit for a moment! But for me, this was the attraction....I know such unworldly love is impossible but within the covers of these books, you will find it both believable and something to hope for.

I have purposefully not written spoilers because it needs to be read...I would hate to put anyone off. I have read that book four is the 'adult one' and I simply cannot wait! I have read all the reviews and I know what is coming but I need to live it....so another weekend of total immersion is unavoidable for me.

Thank God that I have the films of the whole series to look forward to...it is another dimension that just adds to my pleasure and involvement....and for me the casting is faultless. I won't dwell on Robert Patterson, (words are not enough!)but the visual experience just adds to the experience of the book. Whoever was responsible for the casting saw straight to the core of the characters.

This series is not a teenage wallow in mediocrity. It is a very skilful portrayal of what most females imagine is going to happen to them in the future. If you are older it is a wistful dwelling on what you have somehow missed.
Of course....no-one will meet a vampire, but this is the skill of Ms Meyer. This huge and magnificent detail very soon becomes secondary...almost a commonplace to what is pivotal and most important and also (sadly!) if we are truthful; unattainable...the unswerving love and understanding of Edward.

Read these books and be transported.

(I understand there is another version of one or more of the books written from Edward's perspective......what absolute joy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Too involved to be objective?, 30 July 2008
DevJohn01 (Somerset, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eclipse: 3 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
I have kept up with these characters, Bella, Edward & Jacob, for three books now and I am finding it hard to find my objectivity these days. Was this book good? Yes, they all are. Could I put `ECLIPSE' down once I picked it up? Absolutely not! But this was not my favorite book in the series.

Now before you all start throwing tomatoes (because I know many people think it is the best thus far), this goes back to my objectivity being compromised. There were so many great aspects of this book, for example, the flash backs as to how the rest of the Cullen's became vampires (loved that!), the history of the Quileute tribe and the story line about the newborns (which, in truth, I had higher hopes for but I liked it overall). But in my head there is a certain outcome that I would prefer for Bella, but by the end of `ECLIPSE' it became pretty clear that what I want and what is actually going to happen are two very different things. It is like watching a good friend make a lot of decisions that you know are really bad. It is frustrating.

Also, Bella was a little hard to deal with in this third book. She was whiney and selfish , in my opinion, quite often I wanted to slap her (smile)! I found her treatment of everyone from Edward to Jacob to Charlie off-putting and I often found myself screaming at the book for Bella to "stop being so selfish!!" Nonetheless, this book is just as engrossing as the rest, that point I cannot deny. I found myself reading 'ECLIPSE' faster than I have ever ready any other 600+ page book before. And I am waiting not-so-patiently on the edge of my seat for the fourth and final book in the Twilight saga `BREAKING DAWN'!

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but..., 5 Jun 2008
For me this book had quite a few problems with it and the main one is Bella. Now don't get me wrong I don't dislike Bella, she is humble, hardworking and brave, but there is something about her attitude that leaves a bad taste in the mouth. When somebody attempts to do something nice for her (Alice throws her a party) she acts incrediably ungrateful; Edward damages her car so she cant see Jacob and she cant even remain mad at him and her endless obsession with her age and willingness to end her own life. Is this really a strong heroine? I dont think so.

Okay, her love for Edward. The scenes between them are very intense and the dialogue is captivating, however, after New Moon, where Bella repeatedly risked her life because she was so heartbroken, she feels uncomfortable about marrying Edward. Huh? Dont get me wrong I am not advocating anybody getting married at that age but she is willing to die for him but does not want to marry him?! I know its a hang up from her mum but, still, a little perspective please.

Now I undersatnd why Bella loves Jacob. New Moon was enough to convince me of that. And I really like Jacob...that is until *Spoiler* he threatens to kill himself unless she kisses him. I'm sorry, but I found this scene so ridiculous. And it really highlights Meyers faults as a writer. Everything is so melodramatic and Bella's constant bouts of feinting or weeping really begin to get on your nerves.

The action was also limited and I find Victoria as the main baddie unelievable. Considering she has been hanging around now for three books we dont really get to learn anything about her.

At the end of the day if you liked the other books in the series the chances are you will like this one too. And, for all my complaints, I did enjoy this book, but I am not blind to its faults. It is definately an entertaining read. I just wish that I knew why Bella and Edward loved each other and I dont. But really I just want Bella to grow a back bone. Give me a heroine I can be proud of.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best One Yet, 28 Nov 2007
Helen Macdonald "LoveforEdward" (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
After reading the not so encouraging reviews on amazon, I have to say that I was a little less than excited when faced with the prospect of reading Eclipse. But, to my great delight, I was proved completely wrong, as Eclipse has turned out to be my favourite one yet.

As Bella is faced with the prospect of choosing between Edward and Jacob, I felt myself feeling more and more sorry for her, as she got into the situation through no fault of her own (afterall, she didn't know she was in love with Jake) and has to make a descision that will break her heart.
I know some people think she's a whiny brat, but I have to disagree, even though I was shouting at the pages in some parts at the descisions she's made.

But, one of the major plus points for this book is Edward. I love Edward, and unlike New Moon he's in this book a lot; at his funniest and most romantic best. And although I found the love triangle a little unbelievable (due to my intense hatred of Jacob)I still thought it made for an interesting plot-line, and one which I'll look forward to reading on in Breaking Dawn.

5.0 out of 5 stars A total eclipse of the heart, 4 Jan 2010
This review is from: Eclipse: 3 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
This was my favourite book in the series, and I believe was where all the pieces of the plot began to really fall into place.

We pick up where New Moon left off, Edward has asked Bella to be his wife - what will she say? We also pick up with Victoria burning for Bella's blood. Can the Cullen's protect Bella on their own? Will they turn her into a vampire?

I love Jacob Black, and he is a big feature in this book again, I find his utter selflessness so endearing. He, in my eyes, is a far more loveable character than Edward or Bella who are selfish in their approach for each other; and their lack of regard for everybody else their love might hurt.

The culminating action with Victoria and her army is compelling, and lots of new characters such as young werewolve Seth are introduced. If you are into Twilight you will read this and love it! If you aren't familiar with the series, do start at the begining - but look forward to book 3!

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 2 Mar 2009
Dagmar Caletkova "movie maniac" (Czech Republic) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eclipse: 3 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
As much as I was thrilled by Twilight and enchanted by New Moon am I now disappointed by Eclipse. What was at the beginning brilliant idea has been melted into shallow teenage romance.
Yes - Jacob's character makes this book worth reading, for he is everything you'd expect from a typical teenage boy -lively,lovely :-) interesting and entertaining and the plot around wampires and werewolves's truce is both believable and dramatic enough to catch your interest.
But Edward - an ideal boyfriend from the first book - became boring whiner caring about nothing and nobody but his girlfriend. We don't get to know him better, it seems like he's lost his charm at all.
And Bella? The interesting, extraordinary, witty and caring girl we knew from Twilight completely dissapeared. Suddenly she is plain, selfcentered and totaly obssesed with her own feelings, her own needs and her own wishes. Her behaviour towards Edward is cruel, selfish and unforgivable. I can't see anymore why would be anyone (let alone Edward) be interested in her.
Someone compared Twilight Saga to Harry Potter but personaly I doubt there is much to compare for J.K.Rowlings and S.Meyers writing skills are miles away. In my opinion the original idea about relationship between human and vampire deserved better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe i'm hooked on Twilight saga, 19 Jan 2010
H. Williams "Helen." (Chester U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eclipse: 3 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
I can not believe that I'm really hooked on The Twilight Saga after all I'm 50 years old for goodness sake, but there is just something addictive about them and I'm not the only 'oldie' to feel this way, my friend, a professional person of the same age recommended them to me. Eclipse is my favourite of the series so far its more gritty than twilight and new moon with more action, the love triangle carries on from new moon and you are constantly wondering just who she will pick in the end Edward or Jacob. Granted as others have commented Bella does appear more selfish in eclipse and manages to hurt both Edward and Jacob with her dithering, however she is young and confused so i think she can be forgiven. The book is full of suspense and very hard to put down. I have just started to read breaking Dawn and am disappointed that its the last book in the series but then everything has to end sometime and I'm sure the ending will be happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 17 Mar 2009
This review is from: Eclipse: 3 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
Well Meyer has done it again, created an amazing book. This is up there, equal to Twilight, the first in the saga. As always, Bella is hunted down by danger - one particular vampire intent on taking revenge; mate for mate. As Victoria builds up her army, Bella is faced with problems of her own. Edward wants to keep her safe - which to him means away from Jacob. It looks like she will have to choose - best friend or boyfriend? And on top of that, she has to decide if she wants to become a vampire. As vampires and werewolves unite against this new evil, we watch Bella struggle with love, friendship, danger and the prospect of immortality.

I loved this book. Yes maybe it was predictible, but that did not spoil the story. It is written in a simple but engaging and fast-moving way. It is clear why this series is such a success. There is adventure, love, danger and awesome battle scenes, with the odd death along the way. This book is thrilling - energetic and gripping. And I found myself laughing in places too.

My love for Edward continues in this book. He is dangerous, but so considerate and lovely. He adores Bella and will do all he can to keep her safe and happy. I quite enjoyed his battle with Jacob for her. I did think Bella was selfish, leading both on, and I didn't like how Jacob played dirty, but actually that added to the depth of the book. And I liked the character Alice, Edward's sister. She is a doll. She was the one who had me laughing - I want to know someone like her.

I can only praise this book really. I loved it. I love the series. I am well and truely hooked and am looking forward to reading Breaking Dawn, the last in the saga. I recommend you read these books.

10/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad..., 7 Jan 2008
S. yoon "Borim Yoon" (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
not as exciting or adventurous as the other two books: Twilight and New Moon.

Bella's vampire boyfriend, Edward, is back after the incident in Italy.
Yet, while Edward's been gone, Bella has made a friend who she cannot possibly live without, Jacob Black.
Although she claims that Jake is her best friend, does she love him, like Jacob says?
How could that be true? She already has Edward.
Bella has to face making a choice between Edward(vampire) and Jacob(werewolf).
Of course, she also looks forward to the Voultueris (who expects her to have become a vampire) as well as Victoria.

This book is just as nice as the others, except that it's a bit more gloomy and sad.

Eclipse: 3 (Twilight Saga)
Eclipse: 3 (Twilight Saga) by Stephenie Meyer (Paperback - 3 July 2008)