5.0 out of 5 stars Review from the older audience
I am in my late 30s and read Twilight because I had heard good things and the hype of the movie was good. I enjoyed it immensely and was drawn in by the love story and taken back to my high school days. I became a bit pathetic and moped around for a few days when I had finished the book...simply because I wanted to read more.

Wanting more and itching to read...
Published on 29 Jan. 2009 by Jules G

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow narrative but an emotional and deeper book
The second book in the Twilight saga covers the pain Bella goes through when Edward decides to leave and how she bonds with Jacob while trying to get over her heart break.

Published on 27 Jun. 2009 by A. Guimaraes

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow narrative but an emotional and deeper book, 27 Jun. 2009
A. Guimaraes (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Moon: 2 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)

Again, Meyer does a great job in portraying how it feels to lose someone you're madly in love with. The sensation of loss, emptiness, the hole in your chest, the difficulty to breath, the effort of trying to keep on living when you feel that nothing else matters - you do feel Bella's pain. For selfish reasons, Bella starts to hang out with Jacob, trying new "highs" so she can hear Edward's voice in her head while she's in peril. Bella and Jacob's bond becomes stronger and they fall in love with each other, not with the same intensity though. Although Bella's feelings are more of a friendly love, very often she says how warmth Jacob's skin and how beautiful he is - you could almost feel a bit of lust and desire in those remarks.

As for Jacob you can also feel his pain and frustration, having Bella so close yet impossible to have. And when Jacob's transformation into werewolf finally happens (who was surprised?), it's an ironic situation since it could be even riskier for Bella to be around Jacob since he's not totally in control of his emotions.

Comparing New Moon to Twilight, there's an improvement in the way Meyer wrote the dialogues and the character display their feelings, even though there are still loads of "I thought", "he growled", "she sighed" every time the characters talk to each other.

Since the biggest part of the book is mostly about how Bella tries do move on and the role Jacob plays in her life, the pace overall is not quite the same as Twilight. However, the last 5 chapters the story develops in a such speed that it's almost hard to follow. In the end, Bella gets her happy ending, even though from now on it will be difficult to please both Jacob and Edward fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from the older audience, 29 Jan. 2009
This review is from: New Moon: 2 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)

Wanting more and itching to read New Moon, I logged on to Amazon and read the reviews and became a little worried as so many people gave it mediocre to poor reviews. However, I decided just to buy it and read it and I am so glad I did.

I found that it is a much better written book than Twilight. It seemed like Stephenie Meyer actually THOUGHT about what she was writing this time, and didn't just throw stuff on the pages randomly.

The compaint other reviews had was the lack of Edward in the story. However, I did not find this a drawback in the least, it was necessary to keep the emotions running as strongly as they do in this book, and I found the storyline excellent. Please do not be put off by the negative reviews - this book is well worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW WOW WOW, 20 May 2009
This review is from: New Moon: 2 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
Its official, I am a 36 year old woman and am in love with Edward Cullen.
I watched the film a few weeks ago on DVD and thought it was so good i ordered all 4 book. I was obsessed by the time I finished the first one, I started the second New Moon straight after. I loved every page, althought like other people did flick the pages to see when Edward would re-appear (chaper 20) Still not sure about Jake yet, sometimes I like him and sometimes he is a sulky little boy ( just like my own son in fact) I am currentley reading the 3rd book Eclipse so I am expecting to be up most of the night trying to finish it.
I would recommend to anyone to read these books no matter how young or old you are.
Can't wait for the film in November.

3.0 out of 5 stars Has just enough., 3 Feb. 2012
Snikt5 (Bromley, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Moon: 2 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
There is something weird about these books. Overall I felt exactly the same about the second book as I did the first, except in every case my feelings were stronger.

New Moon picks up shortly after the events of Twilight. Bella and Edward are madly in love, the type of love that is so sickly and dare I say it "teenage girly" that has turned so many people off the series and prevented many from even picking it up to begin with.

However, the dynamic soon changes. An incident highlights just how fragile and impractical their relationship is forcing Edward to withdraw his love and move away. From Bella's silly opinion, this is because he doesn't love her anymore. Why she thinks this is beyond me. Edward is mean but it is obvious why he is doing it. What follows (I read this on the Kindle so forgive the percentages) is from 5% to 30% utter mind numbing drivel. Bella is distraught, she wallows in self pity and pines like someone has never pined before.

This section of the story was way too long. I was wanting to stick pins in my eyes and came so close to giving up on the book. I thought I had finally realised why so many people ridicule the series.

Thankfully I persisted a little bit longer. Enter Jacob. By far and away, Jacob is the most interesting character in the story. Bella's attraction to him is believable, their growing relationship (after the initial ooh I think I love him now), is actually well handled. Jacob comes with a good back story and an air of mystery to him. Unlike the Bella / Edward relationship which is too impossible to imagine (both are madly in love with each other, the type of love that when they don't see each other they ache).

Following Jacob's appearance, the story also begins to get some semblance of a decent plot. My main criticism of the first book is that nothing happened. Although this story suffers from the same fate, there are story threads going on.

The story here surrounds random attacks on innocent hikers. There is also the angst going on around Jacob and his friends and the return of some vampires that appeared in Twilight.

The ending of the book is actually quite good. Why it comes about on the other hand irked me. Some minor spoilers follow: Bella in an effort to overcome Edward, resorts to taking part in dangerous activities. The logic being, she hears Edward's voice in her head warning her to be careful when she does these and can therefore imagine him again. I made a logical assumption here that Bella was actually hearing Edward and not imagining him. This proved to be incorrect as later in the book Edward acts upon something he hears Bella has done which proved my assumption wrong (sorry for the confusion, trying not to give too much away). However, later Bella can hear Edward in her thoughts again, which makes no sense whatsoever.

Another strong element to the book is the natural and growing hatred between werewolves and vampires. When Edward and Jacob finally come face to face, the animosity is evident. Obviously anyone with a y chromosome will root for Jacob (I can't believe I just weighed in on that argument).

Overall then, I had mixed feelings about the book. After the appalling start, the story kicked in and dare I say it was quite enjoyable. The ending was satisfactory and there is enough left over to keep me interested in the next book. My rating: 8.0

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't suspend my disbelief, 16 Jun. 2010
A. L. Rutter "Floor to Ceiling Books" (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Moon: 2 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
This is the sequel to Twilight, where Edward takes off due to the most spurious of reasons and leaves Bella in a catatonic state. The only ray of sunshine in her life is Jacob Black, who she grows closer and closer to - until the day she finds out her new best friend is a werewolf. Despite this, she still has feelings of affection for him and is contemplating a life with him in the absence of her soulmate. But then she finds out Edward is in grave danger and goes on a mission to Italy to bring him back into her life...

I didn't like this book much. I felt that there was a real 'plot device' moment going on when Edward leaves - he has been through bigger problems concerning his relationship with Bella, yet decides to take off at this point. Before he leaves, he managed to bring up the Volturi in a 'signpost' moment - they weren't mentioned by name even when Bella was beginning to learn about the vampire culture, so once again Meyer introduces something because she needs it rather than as a natural flow to the story.

Some of the language is problematic, with such gems as "Bright light shined from every window on the first two floors." I do accept that this might have been more of an editting problem than Meyer's choice.

I sincerely disliked the whole sequence where Bella discovers she is hallucinating Edward's voice in moments of recklessness - and the culmination of that particular thread to the story (in an epiphany experienced by Bella) is true melodrama. Not fun to read at all.

The best part of the book by far is between when Bella first starts going round to visit Jacob and when she discovers he is a werewolf. This part of the book is natural and fun. On the downside, it doesn't last for long.

Jacob is a lovely character, and is characterised well. I don't think Meyer treats him particularly fairly, especially when Bella drops him immediately on Edward's return. I know the love triangle becomes a large part of the third book, but I wish that both men had a fair chance at Bella's heart.

(For people who enjoyed this book, and the love triangle angle about to start, I would recommend L J Smith's Strange Powers trilogy).

Altogether, a book where the quality dips from Twilight. At times I was openly mocking the story as I read it, and I simply could not suspend my disbelief. A poor effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sequel that adds more romantic tension and intrigue, 15 Aug. 2009
This review is from: New Moon: 2 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
After another near death experience Bella Swan is all alone but when Jacob Black starts to act strangely does Bella's world start to change once more.

The sequel to the spellbinding romance Twilight brings Bella and Edward back to their love and soon we readers are thrust right into the dynamics and complications of the fantasy world as author Stephanie Meyer grinds out another tantalizing read.

Bella's 18th Birthday party causes upset in the Cullen household which forces Edward to end the relationship and then Bella is all alone in a depressed state.

This inclusion is exceptionally powerful as for anyone who has read Twilight will know the love the pair shared was exceptionally powerful and more than simple lust and once the fabrications start to unwind does the drama and loneliness start to take its toll on the central character.

As with its predecessor, New Moon is written from Bella's point of view and Meyer is able to appreciate the dramatic implications of being lonely and depressed when a loved one leaves. Bella's actions and general mood swings causes problems with her father and school friends whilst dreams and nightmares continue to plague her. Meyer has certainly made a dramatic statement about teenage moral and persona with this sequel. She is accurately depicting the moods of the teenage spirit whilst not being too miserable to depress the reader.

Like Twilight Bella is a tough character to really like. Her constant questioning and debating can be infuriating when it feels like she has the same questions a few chapters on. Her dependence on other people is a somewhat annoying characteristic to have as she dives into an over the top emotional stereotype.

However with this dependence we are treated to Jacob Black. The character from La Push brings an interesting romantic instalment to the book as he gives Bella an insight into the future as the pair ride motorcycles, go cliff diving and have a funny incident in the cinema with Mike. Jacob brings balance to the mood swings and adds the intrigue when he starts to go cold and we learn of his destiny as another mythical creature.

This is arguably when the books edge up a notch. With the constant mention of Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson in Heat magazine it has been hard to ignore the promotion for the upcoming adaptation of this book. Since Edward is hardly in this book it gives Jacob an intriguing romantic side and despite many people who I've asked, I believe he is likeable in this picture and brings a more cheery aspect to proceedings.

Werewolves and vampires are great but perhaps the most interesting mythical aspect here is Italy when Alice and Bella cross the Volturi which leaves the gap open for Eclipse and Breaking dawn and I was so entranced with this book that I moved straight onto Eclipse and have only 100 pages left after three days of reading. New Moon edges out Twilight with the dramatic consequences and tension, and what a novel.

8.5/10

4.0 out of 5 stars As Good As Twilight, 4 Jan. 2009
Miss K (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: New Moon: 2 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
New Moon is the 2nd installment in this series - I enjoyed Twilight although my biggest complaint about that book was that it took a LONG time to really get going. Despite this, I enjoyed the book because the final third more than made up for the mild boredom experienced in the first two thirds!

With New Moon, the book starts out well but then there is a huge chunk of the book spent just passing the the time at snail pace and I found myself skimming through much of the narrative as it was starting to get tedious.

However, if you are a fan of Twilight, no doubt you will love this second installment as it really follows the same kind of structure & style as the first book. If (like me), you find yourself bored at first, rest assured that it DOES get better. The narrative really picks up and there's plenty of exciting action in the second half of the book so once again I have been won over!

Also interestingly, Stephenie Meyer's writing is vastly better in the second book than the first so this can only be a good thing! Overall, New Moon is just as enjoyable as Twilight so I highly recommend it to Twilight fans & I'm looking forward to reading the third installment, Eclipse!

3.0 out of 5 stars Romeo & Juliet, 31 Jan. 2011
Dr Phibes "Dr Phibes" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: New Moon: 2 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
Following on from Book 1 in the series Bella has now recovered from her ordeal with James and is back in Forks with vampire boyfriend Edward with her 18th birthday looming. A big concern for Bella as Edward never made it past 17 forcing the couple to discuss her mortality. With an angry vampire out to avenge James death Bella is once again in mortal danger.

Romeo and Juliet is the school project in book 2 and references of this tragic love story were just too obvious. Going into a zombie like state Bella struggles to contemplate a life without Edward and this was poorly illustrated by the author with several pages with only the month written on to show the pastage of time. I enjoyed the middle part of the book the most as Bella befriends Jacob and I was disappointed that this didnt go in the direction I hoped. For me Bella is just too blinded by her rushed love for Edward, a problem for me in book 1 also and has too little regard for her family and friends to think carefully of the consequences of her desire. I would have prefered a stronger female charactor who didnt go to pieces because of a man. Despite this I still want to read the rest of the series !

1.0 out of 5 stars Kill it. Kill it now., 26 April 2009
This review is from: New Moon: 2 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
500 pages of Bella being emo.

500 pages of her moping.

Blank pages to show what a dark empty abyss her life is without sparkles.

500 pages of angst.

500 pages of wanting nothing more then to pull out a gun then shoot this book several times.

The only reason I recommend getting this is for adding to a nice fire.

Somebody, put an end to this madness.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!!, 10 April 2009
This review is from: New Moon: 2 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
I loved this book, after I had read Twilight I couldn't wait to read this book and it didn't disappoint me in anyway!! This is a great book along with all the others in this series and I would advice anyone to read this book as long as you've read Twilight first!! Enjoy!!

New Moon: 2 (Twilight Saga)
New Moon: 2 (Twilight Saga) by Stephenie Meyer (Paperback - 6 Sept. 2007)