1,793 Reviews

Published on 13 Sept. 2011 by joevascotia

4.0 out of 5 stars Old enough to know what I like, 6 Feb. 2012
Grace Rostoker (Oceanside, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
When I was a kid there were kids and adults - 'young adults' didn't exist. And there were kids' books and adult books with nothing inbetween. Times have changed, and I think on the whole for the better, in that we now acknowledge that there is a transition period between childhood and adulthood, so it seems only fair that these young adults get their own books - and that the rest of us should be allowed to read them too.

I picked up Twilight partly to see what all the fuss was about, not having seen the movies, and partly to find out what young adult literature was like, and I'm happy to admit that I enjoyed it. Yes, Bella can be a whiney little so-and-so, and when she gets older she should read Women Who Love Too Much, but I remember being an angst-ridden seventeen year old myself so I could relate to her. And much as I cringe at the idea of Edward having spent the last century or so as an arrogant teenage prat, there's no denying he's just the kind of arrogant prat that many angst-ridden girls go for - so many of us were stupid enough to always go for the out-of-the-ordinary type, because nice, everyday boys were so 'boring'.

I never expected the book to be really great literature, and I think you're bound to be disappointed if you look at Twilight with too adult eyes, but it was an engaging, fun read. I'll take off one star because the long stretches of dialogue between Bella and Edward did get a bit tedious, but the story held my interest to the end - which many more literary books fail to do.

A great thing about getting older is that you can like what you like and not care what anyone else thinks of you because of it, so I'm happy to repeat that I enjoyed Twilight and plan the read the rest of the series. Congratulations to Stephenie Meyer; as other reviewers have said, she pulled it off and laughed all the way to the bank. Good for her!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the films, 11 May 2012
Sophy's Mum (Buckinghamshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
I saw the Twilight film on tv, then re-watched it about 5 times whilst waiting for the book to arrive. I am totally hooked. (55 year old woman going on 17). Bella moves back to Forks, Washington from sunny Arizona, where she normally lives with her mother (parents are divorced). At school she meets a boy, Edward Cullen, who seems repelled by her smell, although she feels drawn to him. His odd way of talking, pale skin and changing eye colour all make her feel there is something different about him. Gradually, he starts to take an interest in her, even prevents her from getting crushed by another student's van. Old friends try to warn her about the Cullens, but she cannot resist him. When she confronts him about what she suspects, he doesn't deny it, but confesses to her that he is a vampire, but only drinks animal blood, like the rest of the Cullens. She is gradually drawn into his world, and it is apparent he feels, not repulsed by her smell, but regards it as 'my own personal brand of Heroin". They are utterly in love with eachother, but he struggles to stop the vampire side of his nature from killing her just to drink her blood. Although you would think the fantasy of vampires in a story would destroy any romance, this is a fantastically romantic book. I urge both men and women to read the first novel at least - men -if you want to know how we think, and women - if you need an idealised version of a man to fantasise about. Edward Cullen is Romeo, Mr Darcy, Edward Rochester, and Byron wrapped up in one. Enjoy.

1.0 out of 5 stars A dreadful piece of writing, 13 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
Twilight is without doubt the most publicised book since Harry Potter, and the series is running on a similar track. Aim a book towards a target audience that knows no better, bombard them with a range of emotions they have no way of understanding, and then expand the franchise in every coneivable direction. The most interesting and intelligent part of this series is without doubt the work of the marketing and advertising teams, rather than the author.

I wasn't expecting to enjoy Twilight. I had seen the first film, and was not sucked in by the story or the characters. I guess that not being attracted to either Robert Pattinson or Taylor Lautner didn't help. I did, however, attempt to be open minded about the book. I wouldn't say that I tried to enjoy it, that is the job of the author, but I was certainly open to understanding what all the fuss was about.

The first thing that I noticed was how poorly written the book is. Poorly, if anything, is more than the story deserves. The writing is dreaful, often crossing the boundry into laughable. I laughed out loud at the story on more than one occassion. An example of this is the third time breakfast was referred to as "an event". Saying it once gives breakfast a rather grandiose air, but to say it three times is unforgiveable. Breakfast is not an event, and if it is then you need to get a hobby.

Halfway through the book I realised how much effort I was putting in to actually continuing the read. I hated the characters, Bella especially, and couldn't make them seem anyone other than one dimensional. I also couldn't fathom why the characters were falling in love with each other. Bella is possibly the most depressing and unappealing heroine to ever grace the pages of any novel, which I suppose is praise of a sort to the author. There is never any doubt that she is a work of fiction. Within weeks of moving to Forks, her new little town, FIVE boys become besotted with her. Why? What is the appeal? She is a horrible person, with no redeaming features. And I mean none. I can't think of anything that she does that would make me think "she's the one for me".

The lack of quality in writing leads me to believe that author Stephenie Meyer struggles to have a broad imagination, and in fact is just writing an alternate reality of her own teeange years. Which teenage girl didn't dream of being able to turn the heads of any guy they happened to interact with? This is just a theory, I don't in any way pretend to know the back story of Meyer, and I don't intend to find out. She's already stolen enough of my life.

I keep coming back to the writing and its poor quality, but it just beggars belief. As soon as Bella meets Edward (her vampire boy), nearly every page is filled with how perfect, gorgeous, beautiful etc... he is. It's good to know that love is only skin deep, because of course she would love him if he was hideous looking? Of course she wouldn't. That doesn't fit with the teen ideals of love. About halfway through the story I noticed a trend in that nearly every metaphor is in reference to stone, which actually added to my enjoyment of the book. I decided to note every stone metaphor until the end of the book, and see if there were in fact too many. I'll let you decide;

- "hard as stone"
- "cold as stone"
- "strong as stone"
- "it was like gripping stone"
- "still as stone"
- "turn to unresponsive stone"
- "set in stone"
- "his stone shoulder"
- "his stone grasp"
- "features as immobile as stone"
- "fact impassive as stone"
- "his stone figure"

And some of these are repeated. I'm struggling to understand how this book was published, but to become to phenomenon that it is is nothing short of a miracle.

To sum up, Twilight is the second worst book I have ever read. Only The Fiction Class is worse. To my mind there is nothing in this book that would lead me to recommend it to anyone. If a friend would only read badly written vampire stories with a protagonist you wanted to stab in the face, I would still strive to find something else.

The most depressing part of this whole saga is that people are so in love with Twilight. It is depressing to realise that something this bad could become so popular. I love the idea of people, especially the younger generations, getting involved with reading, but if this is what the settle on, then they really needn't bother.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bite me!................, 7 May 2009
Stella (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
This is YA fiction and I'm not even close to the target audience. It's been a lot of years since I belonged in the 'teen' category BUT... despite that, I loved this book! I think it might be because the 17 year old that I once was is still fresh in my mind, and if I squint when I look in the mirror I can still see her (she just got better looking over the last couple of decades *grin*).

A five star book for me is one that I have to tear myself away from and this has to be one of the better 5 star books I've read recently. I could not put it down, regardless of whether I fit in the target deomographic or not. I have no idea why I was so enamoured with this particular story but it just grabbed me, literally from the first chapter. It has it's flaws, and at times those flaws tried to pull me away from the pages while I wrestled with my beliefs but never did I feel like I couldn't go on. I'm actually mystified why this is such a great book, I wish I could put my finger on it but it escapes me. I am fond of a bit of vampire lit, it's true, but this goes beyond that....I think. I can't say the writing is superlative so it's not that.....but what is it? I wish I knew. Answers on a postcard, please.

Bella is a complete feminists' nightmare and I can see why that would put a lot of people off of her, but at 17 love is blind so I'm willing to forgive Bella on that score. Edward is so uber male that he fairly reeks testosterone and again, that may grate on some readers but lets put things in perspective, he's the ultimate predator and has had nearly a century of dominating his prey so on that score I'm willing to forgive him his overly masculine nature for now, this nurture/love thing is new for him too.....he'll get it right eventually I expect.

Ultimitely, lets not forget that this is a tale of vampire love which is aimed at teens/young adults and the usual complexities and concerns that come with real life won't apply here. I for one am glad to slip into Bella and Edward's world and remember what it was to be young and in the throes of first love. If you have an imagination and are willing to suspend your disbelief then you might enjoy this story. It's an enjoyable bit of fulff to while away a few hours/days but if your usual reading material tends to be the classics and nothing more, then you probably will feel the need to return here with you own 1 or 2 star review.

I have books 2, 3 and 4 lined up here, ready to devour and if they go as quickly as Twilight then I'll have completed all 4 in about 3 more days. I want to tell everyone to read this as I loved it so much, but I realise that everyone has different tastes so all I can recommend is that you read the reviews and make your own mind up from there.

5.0 out of 5 stars thoroughly enjoyed it, 13 Oct. 2014
I read twilight when it first came out and immediately fell in love with the story. Now, I am a mum twihard, and my kids are forever teasing me about my love of the twilight series. For me personally the story is pure escapism into a beautiful romantic awakening with the supernatural thrown in. I find it amusing reading some of the one star reviews, saying that they wonder how it was ever published, I am an avid supernatural romance reader and I have read some books that would make twilight look like literary genius. I think sometimes if you don't normally read a genre like vampires, the story can seem so outside of the norm as to be an unenjoyable experience as it's just too far away from what you deem acceptable.
This is my long winded way of saying that though the story isn't for everyone, I wouldn't let the hype put you off if you enjoy a very sweet romance, with vampires thrown in. Bella can be a bit frustrating at times and I think that if you try you could pick the story apart a little, but most supernatural/paranormal books are like this as you are dealing with complete fantasy and as such the author is making up all the rules of how things work.
The last thing I would say us that the films did not do justice to the books what so ever. Bella is actually quite funny and intelligent in the book and this to me did not come across at all, nor did the intensity of bella obsession with edward. So again if you have seen the film and are thinking of reading the books they are so much better, you will see a whole new side of all the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, Extraordinary and Unforgettable, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
Twilight was one of the first books I fell in love with; the quirky characters, the gripping storyline and the overwhelming need to read what happens next. I was lucky that when I got Twilight, I had the rest of the books along with it, with the exception of The Short Life of Bree Tanner that hadn't come out yet. It is a story that has so many unique factors that you never could see coming, I would have to say that the first one is my favourite because it sets the tone for the rest of the series.

Isabella 'Bella' Swan is a very unique teenager, one that seems to have a maturity that many people her age doesn't. Having lived in Arizona for most of her life, she is used to the heat and not the raining weather that Fork's has to offer. It doesn't take long for her to catch the attention of the guy that everyone wants but no one can have. Edward Cullen is dazzling and a mystery that no one can solve.

It doesn't take long for Bella to gain his attention and that is where the trouble starts. Edward isn't like many seventeen year old teenagers, no; he is a 109 year old vampire who pretends to be a seventeen year old. Bella could tell there was something strange about him and his family, though after finding out he is a vampire, it just seems to make her to only person in the world who would want to be his girlfriend.

Though Edward's family isn't like any other family, they are uniquely different in the gifts they have and how they use them. There is Alice; a future telling Vampire, Jasper; a vampire who can feel your emotions and was the last to turn to the Cullen's lifestyle, Rosalie; the powerful sister who doesn't like Bella even before she meet her, Emmett; who is one of the strongest in the family, Esme; the mother figure of the family even though she is only a couple of years older than them. And then, there is Carlisle, who works in Fork's hospital as a doctor, he is also the one who turned more of the Cullen's into vampires to start with.

Although, Edward is not the only one who has his sights on Bella, there is Jacob as well. Jacob has been a family friend for years, his father is Charlie Swan (Bella's father) best friend. Though it seems that Bella only thinks of him as her friend, though similar to Edward, Jacob is hiding a secrets as well, even if he doesn't know it just yet.

There is a lot of intense moments in Twilight, you get to see a side of Bella that shows she would be willing to die for the one she loved with no questions asked. It isn't until you read the ending, do you realise what the Preface in the beginning of the book meant, and what is signified to her.

Twilight is one of those books, that no matter how many times you read, it will thrill you over and over again. The story is one that sticks with you long after you finish the book and start the next one. It has the ability to see a different type of love, friendship, family and sacrifice that people will make for the ones that they love most in the world. It is a truly amazing book that I could read again and again.

If I had to sum this book up in three words, they would be Powerful, Extraordinary and Unforgettable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Left it too long to read this?, 27 April 2014
I have to confess I have broken my one golden rule and watched the films before reading the book... And I have to say I think there was only enough decent plot line in the book to scrape together a film in the first place. You don't miss anything significant From the book when watching the film.

I'm not bothered by the adaption of vampire lore it works in some ways, allowing the Cullens to attend high school, be around people, it works for the story but what I can't cope with is the sparkling thing! Come on... Edward consistently tells Bella he's a dangerous monster yet he is made of pretty diamonds.

I like the Cullens, Carlisle character I feel is missed opportunity, he could have had much more about his history and been a much bigger part of the book, maybe I think that because I'm an adult. I did however think that Alice was one of the most interesting characters and I would look forward to more of her if I was going to read the other books.

The book isn't that awful, there are some exciting parts that got my attention for a while but a lot of insignificant waffling between Bella and Edward filling out the pages.

My one residing issue with this book, as it was with the film is Bella. I would quite happily like to meet this girl and tell her to have some self respect, some ambition or goal in life other than falling head over heels in love with a dangerous monster because he's just sooooo pretty! I was told by a big twilight fan to read the book if I thought this and I have to say my opinion is unchanged. She just seems completely helpless and blinded by a beautiful dangerous man and don't get me wrong... So was I at 17 years old but I grew up and I think that's my problem. I don't like her as I can see many teenage girls falling into a rut and idolising Bella, moping around the place waiting for a mythical creature to change their life when they should be believing in themselves and taking control of their own lives.

A bit over the top maybe but overall I wasn't that impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say? I loved it., 2 Mar. 2014
What can I say? I loved it.

I didn't expect to love it. In fact, I resisted picking up these books until now specifically because of the vocal anti-Twilight reviews and office conversations I'd been privy to. So why did I finally decide to pick them up? Simple. Two weeks ago I figured how to link my table to my cable box and wanted to test drive it with movies I was pretty certain my husband and son wouldn't want to watch, and the first three Twilight movies were playing, all week, for free. My husband joked that I'd already seen them (we'd watched Vampires Suck together last year), but I put on my ear buds and watched them anyway.

I was blown away. The movies are fantastic. Funny, scary, romantic. I was hooked. When I finished watching the three free ones, I picked up the last two on Google Play, another app I hadn't fully test driven for movies. When they were over, I had that familiar feeling when you come to the end of a story but you're not quite ready to let it go. The fact that snippets of pages from the books were highlighted as the credits for the last movie rolled on. That got me. I immediately picked up Twilight on Kindle and devoured it in just a couple of days.

My opinion? Wow. I loved Twilight. Of course, many of my friends are against it because Bella's a bit flaky and Edward isn't exactly the best boyfriend material. Top that off with a rather unhealthy, obsessive relationship, and I can totally get where they are coming from. However, this is also what caught me up in it. Bella's so insecure and awkward, yet here is this beautiful boy who adores her. Edward is fascinated by and drawn to Bella, but he has to fight with every facet of his being to suppress his instincts to feed on her. Even having watched the movies and heard the plot from countless friends, I still got caught up in wondering how such a pairing could possibly work. And for the most part it doesn't, at least not yet.

Bella's internal conflict is central to this story. Many say she comes off whiny, or that her instant popularity in school is unrealistic. Honestly, I don't think that's the point of the story. I enjoyed it. It was interesting to watch her slow transformation. To watch her begin to come out of her self-imposed shell for Edward. Her tendency towards being a loner and failing to see what other's like when she looks in the mirror is something I empathized with. Not every teenage girl can be confident and graceful.

As for Edward, his struggles to come to term with his long dormant humanity as opposed to his instinctual thirst are quite exciting. I found myself feeling what Bella felt: confusion, attraction, and even fear. His demonstration of power in the meadow, apparently the first scene Meyers wrote, is terrifying. Everything that initially attracts her to him is designed to draw prey into his clutches. Yet, she accepts him. And he is torn. He cares for her so deeply, he worries that the only way to protect her is to take himself out of the picture.

And yes, he's sparkly. And his family is beautiful, almost angelic in appearance, and good natured. But, they aren't the norm for vampires in this story. They are the aberation. The real vampires in the story are much less benevolent. In fact, they are downright scary. We only get a peek into the darker world from which the Cullens have separated themselves. Just a peek, but it's enough.

Overall, I loved this book. It has romance, action, and danger, and I find myself thinking about it and wanting to read it again, even now before I've finished reading Eclipse. I have a feeling I'll be reading this one again and again. I recommend this book to fans of YA romance who don't mind sparkly vampires and teenage angst (there's a lot of both).

2.0 out of 5 stars Why was this published?, 9 Jan. 2014
Apologies for this review being rather long and being in parts, but It made it a little easier for me to write.

Part 1 :
When I first picked up this product, I had no expectations, though the start of the novel did disappoint me. Also, up to a certain part of the book the movie was better.
Then I released that some points of the book were good and well written. (possible rape, restaurant scene and taking her home). I especially like the part were Bella said 'And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.' In other parts though such as the shopping scene weren't so well written.
I believe that Bella comes across as rather useless and can't think or stand up for herself. This isn't how women should be portrayed in 21st century novels, especially by a female author. I think Stephanie Meyer should know better than this.
Although I'm 18 I feel to old for this book who I think is about 13 - 15 years old girls who either don't have boyfriends or really enjoy fantasies. So far I think this book is staring to suck (pardon the pun).

Part 2:
The part were Bella's friends find out that she and Edward are together was an enjoyable part of the book. For example, I like Mike's reaction 'I don't like it' and that she looks like food. I also like that Jessica rolled her eyes at Bella when she walked over to sit with Edward. Though I don't understand why Bella won't tell Charlie about her relationship with Edward.
One part that really irritates me in that Bella keeps going on and on about Edwards good looks. I dislike the constant attention to how attractive he is and it's getting annoying. Is there more to Edward than his dazzling good looks? I'm not interested in the whole wishy washy prince charming thing that Bella seems to be into. I understand that this is fiction but I don't appreciate fairy tale like stories.
So far I dislike Bella. She comes across as whinny, selfish and unhumanly shallow. (Since the only person she has interest in is the hot, shiny rich guy).
I do like Edward though, but he seems to be a perfect match for Bella. He broods, smolders and stalks Bells to show how much he is in love with her. Is watching her sleep at night really the best way to show this? (Bit to creepy for my liking). Though I do like Edward because he actually shows emotion such as love as well as concern. As a result I don't find him as selfish as Bella.
As for Jacob, he is described rather vaguely so far and doesn't really make much of an effect on me. All I can see is that he's to young for Bella and that his immaturity shows.
The dialogue is also rather poor, like the book it has good and bad points. For example the forest scene with Edward shows his skin I find the dialogue very good. 'As if you could outrun me', or 'As if you could fight me off'. Though some parts are very poor and don't meet my expectations.

Part 3:
I enjoyed the part were Bella Meets Edwards family. I was curious about their reaction and what could happen to her. I like Esme and Carlyle and enjoyed learning about their past. Also I really enjoyed Charlie's reaction to Bella and Edwards relationship.
I didn't like the baseball scene that much. I didn't think it was that well written compared to some scene's in the book. The dialogue wasn't great and the new vampires were rather vague. Though still a better scene than some I suppose.
I enjoyed the chase scene as I thought It was slightly better written and was better than some parts of the book. Also I enjoyed reading about Alice's ability to see into the future. I thought the scene were Bella said goodbye to Charlie was good, possibly some of the best in the book. Though I preferred the same scene in the movie because I felt more emotion towards Bella as well as Charlie.
The scene in the gallery wasn't that great, I think the descriptions could have been better. At least the dialogue was half decent in this section of the book. The escape from jasper was unrealistic as I don't understand how it couldn't be foreseen by Alice and how Jasper couldn't stop her.
When it comes to the prom I was rather bored until the conversation between Edward and Bella.
Unfortunately I won't be recommending this book. I know it has it's good points but I think it's mostly bad. As as result I didn't enjoy this book as much as I could have. There for this book doesn't get more than 2 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, atmospheric, romantic, 12 Feb. 2013
Jennifer Pittam "Maythorn" (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I tried this book because I work with the under 15 age group and I wanted to understand comments such as 'he did an Edward on me like, one glance and I was gone'. I fully expected to put it down after a page or two but thoroughly enjoyed it. It's written for the YA market, which is something that did not exist when I was a budding, hormone-ridden creature of 13. We had to start on 'The Scarlet Pimpernel, and I suppose at least we learned some French/English history from it. From Twilight, you learn a little about what it's like to grow up in certain parts of the U.S. and a smattering of Native American history, not to mention of course folklore regarding vampires and werewolves.

The story is about a high-school kid called Bella, child of divorced parents. Bella chooses, having grown up so far more or less with her hippy child mother, to make a change and return to her father's home. Dad lives in a remote, tiny little town on the edge of a Native American reservation.

Bella's thoughts feelings and desires are similar to those of any pre-boyfriend girl, which meant I could identify with her, having been one. Edward is somewhat like the boyfriend you had in your teens if you caught the school heart-throb, or the one you dreamed about if you didn't - except that Edward Cullen and his entire family of beautiful siblings, gorgeous mother and charismatic doctor father have a secret.

I couldn't put this book down. I thought that it was well-written, I liked Bella for her kind-heartedness and her concern for her family, and Edward's arrogance is understandable once you reach the climax of the book. The book has a good moral tone - no under-age sex, and a strong lead from the main character and the adults in terms of caring for others and social responsibility. The plot has a good pace and the setting was fascinating to me, an urban Londoner. Frankly, I loved it.

Suitable for the YA age-group - it's written from Bella's point of view so a vampire boy has to be your idea of heaven - and anyone who thinks they could enjoy YA literature.

As a kindle read, this book is obviously well-adapted for those with a visual disability.

Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga)
Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga) by Stephenie Meyer (Paperback - 22 Mar. 2007)