4.0 out of 5 stars Like a winter frost, it slowly creeps over you

1.0 out of 5 stars Well written, but that's about it
Published on 20 Jun. 1998

4.0 out of 5 stars Like a winter frost, it slowly creeps over you, 20 May 2007
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Winter Rose (Paperback)
This is the second book by Mckillip that I have read. To a degree, there are many similarities. Firstly, her writing style remains the same. She pays much attention to nature and the relationship that some people create with it, and she is very dscriptive in all her metaphor and imagery. For the most part, this is a good thing, but there are times it felt that she may have been too descriptive; the story sometimes felt obscured by the overly lyrical writing.

The story is about a young girl, Rois. She lives in a small village, loving nothing more than to go barefoot into the woods and collect flowers and herbs for the local villagers. One day a stranger comes to the village, a young man called Corbet Lynn. She describes her first sighting of him as though she were in a dream, and from that moment on she becomes obsessed with him. For Corbet Lynn is not the same as others - he has returned to the village to claim his inheritance, Lynn Hall, decades after his father murdered his own father in the hall itself. Since that night, the family was cursed. So why has Corbet returned to claim the family home and, ultimately, the family curse? And why does Rois appear to not be able to let old ghosts lay?

This whole book is similar to being in a dream. As the plot thickens and progresses, the reader is given the feeling that the seams between reality and another world are being blurred. Perhaps it is partly due to McKillip's sometimes ardent use of imagery and metaphor, but there are times when you are not completely sure whether the charcaters are imagining things, dreaming things or just making them up. This book definitely felt more confused than the first one I read by her - THE CHANGELING SEA.

However, despite this, I do feel that this is a great book. I am eager to re-read it after a few months to see if I can find anything I may have missed this time.

If you are a reader that likes very fast paced books, it may be advisable to pass this one by. As the title of my review suggests, this novel tends to creep slowly over and around you. Perhaps, in order to get the very best from it, the best thing to do is to just give in completely, a bit like winter taking over the land.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful winter tale from a lyrical teller, 6 Oct. 2004
silvanhistorian (South-west England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winter Rose (Paperback)
I enjoyed Patricia McKillip's 'Winter Rose' immensely. In fact I only received it this morning and finished it in one day - I couldn't put it down.
If you like poetry and descriptions of nature which are breath-takingly beautiful, you will love this book. The story follows a unique protagonist, Rois, in a tale that weaves its way through love, the passages between worlds and the harsh trial winter imposes upon an agrarian community. The atmosphere of the novel is completely surreal, seeming to flit from reality to dreamscape in a seamless and lyrical way, which kept me wanting more until the very end.
McKillip's characters are believable and fascinating and the pace of the story is smooth, never dragging. As an aspiring writer myself, I hold nothing but admiration for the beautiful twists and turns of the language and the lasting imagery the author conjures from the written page.
Highly recommended in every sense, especially if you are looking for unconventional fantasy.
An original tale, superbly told. One can only be enriched by the experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars Call me nuts, but this is my favorite McKillip book..., 2 Sept. 1999
By A Customer
For some reason, the rating for "Winter Rose" has turned up surprisingly low. I loved this book. It was absolutely breathtaking, and I was immediately hooked, for the first sentence to the last one. McKillip blends the Tam Lin story line with fantastic elements that are distant and beautiful. The characters' emotions are made very real (particularly Rois') and the ending was more than I had expected it to be...only Patricia could have handled it the way it was handled. This book is page after page of wonder. Read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful and elegant tale, 7 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
In a richly symbolic and atmospheric retelling of the ballad, Tam Lin, a young girl is tangled up in an old curse involving several generations of a family who have dwelled in the old house in the woods. Rois is drawn into the mystery by her curiosity of the handsome Corbet Lynn, newest resident of the house. Dreams and gems and roses are twined throughout Winter Rose in beautiful image after image created by McKillip's gorgeously lyrical prose.
Not for everyone surely; ambiguous in bits and likely to bore a reader looking for a lot of action. However, for those who enjoyed Robin McKinley's Rose Daughter, this is the perfect read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A curious Rose, hunted by the Dead of Winter, 15 May 2008
Teresa Alm Forden "Daughter to a King" (Dalarna, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winter Rose (Paperback)
This is the sort of book that colours your world even after you've read it. Everything takes on a new and mysterious shade.

I couldn't put the book down once I had started it. It spoke to my heart and I had to know more. The language was, like the rest of McKillip's works, beautiful. I admire how she can spin them around and shape them into new life.

The story is about a young girl that is, to her family's sorrow, more forest then woman. And one day she sees a man walk out from light in the deep of the wood. And she drowns in the mystery that is him. What is he? From what world did he emerge? And what truth is there in all and the single curse that runs through his family? And as she hunts for the answers of his past, even her own is questioned.

I had fun with the fact that so many of the characters had names from flowers and trees. But since I'm not an English speaker, I never really could figure out just how to pronounce the head character's name. Rois. I keep reading it as Roys when it probably should be Rose.

It is a wonderful book and I do recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars enchanting, 16 Feb. 1999
By A Customer
I find when I read Mckillip's books I am swept into a secret, magical space from which I do not wish to be distrubed. Winter Rose brought me to a forest much like the forests here, but seen with better eyes, with vision, not just sight. Slightly shifted from what we know, more magical, more dangerous, wilder, and more subtle, The forest both embraces you, and tangles you. The mystery is of people who enter this place, either in form or in dreams, whose ordinary lives are made extraordinary by rumor, vision, imagination, old sorrows and love. What is real? What is illusion? What are the unseen forces that enchant us, and decieve us and create our history? This is a story of one sister who sees, and one sister who reflects. A slightly less clearly written book than her others, but still rich, and vivid and exquisite, and as always, I hated to leave

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth perservering with!, 26 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Winter Rose (Hardcover)
I will admit that when I first read this book it bored me. It took me two goes to read it. But do you know what? Once I got through the first chapter it enchanted me. I fell in love with Rois' woods and was drawn deep into the secrets of Corbet Lynn. I really reccomend perservering with this book if at first you find it hard to get into because it is worth it. I reread this book all the time now and don't find any part of it dull, you just have to let the magic of Patricia A. McKillip do its work.
I think the low reviews come from the way that the plot of the story is quite winding -like a woodland trail, no?- but, as I said before, it is a story that is well worth your perserverence.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Rose, the Ivy, and the Gold, 12 July 1999
By A Customer
Patricia McKillip shows her wonderful flair for a twisty, turning story line amidst multiple dimensions in fantastic worlds once again. Like her Cygnet stories, McKillip crafts Winter Rose with jewels and flowers, gold, and ivy vines. Rois Melior, the heroine of this novel, and her sister, Laurel are both enchanted by a new-comer to the town, Corbet Lynn, who not only inherits his grandfather's estate after a fifty-year abandonment, but also his grandfather's cursing as well. Rois and Corbet become entangled in the wood, magic, and a love triangle between Corbet, Laurel, and Rois. Find out who wis and who can come out of the magic alive.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Haunting Tale of Unrequited Love and the Curse of the Past, 6 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
This haunting tale, both literally and figuratively, marks another wonderful entry into Patricia McKillip's world of Faerie. In this tale the Otherworld wears a darker mask, casting a spell that lures the participants away from their own world and into a realm that despite its beauty hides a cold and indifferent heart. The key to this realm is a curse, a spectre of the past that threatens the characters to reenact an earlier tragedy. As much a story about ghosts as fantasy, unrequited love as magic, this tale is woven with all the marvelous skill and wonder found in earlier McKillip works, and with an emotional intensity that perhaps sets it apart, and with a tone and mystery reminiscent of works such as "Wuthering Heights" or "The Turn of the Screw, though placed in a faerie tale setting.
McKillip's style of writing also sets her apart from most other fantasists, a prose at once both direct and elegant, with an ability to recast the natural and personal world into a realm vibrating with an urgency of beauty unseen, spirits barely glimpsed, recalling the sense of wonder we once had looking at the world as a child. Something is always stirring just beyond our sight, and in McKillip's stories it is not only the magical worlds of imagination, but hidden insights as well into human nature and the world we create around us in our minds. While these stories can be read simply for their narrative power and imagination, there are elements throughout the text that if glimpsed will provoke thought and reconsideration of what we accept as truth. These themes and metaphoric insights are guised in a manner similar to the author's etheric spirits, a face peering out of the leaves, a figure briefly seen, then gone, though barely glimpsed, haunting and not forgotten. If you are not provoked into thought, then you need a closer reading.
While I enjoyed this work, and will read it again, I did not find it as tightly focused or resolved as some of her other work, such as "The Book of Atrix Wolfe." At times the author stretched for similes or understandings that for me remained only partly conveyed. Perhaps I myself need to take a closer look. It was for this reason I only awarded it four stars. However, this qualification is meant only to refer to McKillip's other work--compared to other authors this book qualifies as a solid five stars. Those of you who haven't read the author's books don't know what you are missing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Well written, but that's about it, 20 Jun. 1998
By A Customer
I adore Patricia McKillip's work, so when I saw this, I bought it immediately. Unfortunately, it just didn't deliver. Her prose is lyrical, as usual, but the story just didn't interest me. Halfway through the book, I was still waiting for it to get started. I've shared it with my friends, hoping that they would spot something I didn't and the verdict was unanimous. Dud. A real disappointment from an artist that usually can't be faulted.

Winter Rose
Winter Rose by Patricia McKillip (Paperback - 7 Nov. 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01