4.0 out of 5 stars Good message, excessive at times, 29 April 2006
The Alchemist "alchemista" (Orlando, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The God Shift: Our Changing Perception of the Ultimate Mystery (Paperback)
The book has the basic message that God lives within all of us as well as beyond us, and that we understand him through our human experiences. This "new" perception of the ultimate mystery is a good perception and explained well in the book.

The author up front states that his material is not peer reviewed nor backed up by lots of references, and is basically his own thoughts unchallenged. While I appreciated the disclaimer, this also caused the book to go too far at times (in my opinion). For example, he threw out unsubstantiated claims that groups of people praying were shown scientifically to change the accident rate in a geographic locality. Other similar "consciouness power" experiments are mentioned, but no reference is given. I found this very hard to believe and dismiss it straight away without any sort of reference. The parts of the book I couldn't really accept are those that started talking of other dimensions of our consciousness being linked together with humans (basically ESP, mind control, etc). If those parts were cut out, I'd probably give this a 5-star.

Overall a good book to read if you're questioning Christianity (and really any similar religion) in today's world, and doubting it's basis.

I was really surprised that the author was a Catholic missionary priest, because he gives the impression that he disagrees with a lot of religious aspects (or thinks they get in the way), especially Catholicism. He believes the bible is not the word of god, but just human understanding at the given time, sure to give some strong believers pain.

4.0 out of 5 stars The God Shift, 11 Sept. 2010
This a very helpful book for the religious person who is seeking for a christian spiriuality in the modern world. Adrian Smith explains very clearly how to understand biblical teaching and theology intelligently and gives pointers on how to live out a spiritual life as a person of the 21st Century. I gave it to a friend who said:- "This book is explaining clearly things that I have thought myself but did not know how to express"

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read., 30 Oct. 2012
Excellent Read. Informative, and educational. A book well worth buying, also good as a gift. Only regret, never had option to buy hard back copy! Recommeded for anyone requiring a scientific 'spiritual' view of life and of the life yet to come. Well written and a book that not only inspires but also inspires a thought or two in the reader.

The God Shift: Our Changing Perception of the Ultimate Mystery
The God Shift: Our Changing Perception of the Ultimate Mystery by Adrian B. Smith (Paperback - Sept. 2004)
Used & New from: £4.45