5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!!
Published on 25 July 2008 by Mr. Paul Harrison

3.0 out of 5 stars Stevo pulls no punches
Published on 16 Feb. 2008 by SiCo

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!!, 25 July 2008
Mr. Paul Harrison (Bradford, W Yorks, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stevo: Looking Back (Hardcover)
There was a lot I didn't know about Stevo. I just thought he was an opinionated pundit on Sky with a daft turn of phrase. He's actually a really interesting guy and a bit of an entrepreneur. The following facts about Stevo were all a surprise to me: he was born in Dewsbury; he fell foul of the rugby league powers-that-be; he dabbled in journalism; and that he set up the rugby league museum at the George Hotel in Huddersfield. This man has hidden depths. After reading his book, I have new respect for him and I think he's a great champion for rugby league. This book is great if you want to find out about the 1972 Rugby League World Cup winning team. Shockingly the media at home ignored their victory until forced to acknowledge it some 30 years later. Stevo's descriptions of the world cup games paint a vivid picture of top class rugby league at the time.
In short, Stevo's book is a must for any rugby league fan. It provides an enthralling insight into the world of rugby league past and present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book - Recommended Buy, 21 July 2008
Mr. S. A. Evans (Basingstoke, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stevo: Looking Back (Hardcover)
This book is a fantastic read! It describes Stevo's humble beginnings in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire and follows his rugby career right the way through to his move to Australia. It then outlines the start of Stevo's media career and follows this through to the present day. The narrative style lends itself perfectly to on-the-pitch descriptions of Stevo's memorable games and goes into just enough details about Stevo's off-the-pitch private life so that it does not detract from the best rugby story I've read. Stevo portrays himself as a decent (if opinionated), self-depreciating guy whose overriding love of rugby league shines through. Any rugby league fan (whatever club they support) would find this book completely engrossing - I recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Steeeeevooooo!, 22 Jun. 2010
J. Manson "Ah'll si thi!" (York, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stevo: Looking Back (Paperback)
Love him or hate him (there doesn't seem to be a half way with Stevo!), this is a great read from a REAL personality in rugby league. As a Rhinos fan I wasn't too sure when I was first given the book, but I'm glad I got it - I really do see Stevo in a different light now. The book takes you all the way through his career as a player in the north of England, over to Oz where he did well, and onto his career in the media. I really enjoyed reading about Stevo and recommend the book to all rugby league fans - whether you love him or hate him! Well done, Mike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, Funny, Touching and Humbling, 11 Aug. 2009
S. Oddy "Oddlad" (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stevo: Looking Back (Paperback)
What a great read! Took it on holiday this summer and finished the near 300 pages in only a couple of days. I just couldn't put it down!

Stevo comes across as a down to earth and self deprecating guy, who has overcome significant hardship in his life, knows his limitations and yet has a will to succeed in everything he does. A real lesson to us all comes through the pages of the book as he describes his challenges when moving down under and when getting his Rugby League memorabilia exhibition underway. He has obviously never been afraid of hard work, with the book describing his leaner times, even in relatively recent years.

I wasn't sure of Stevo the man before I read the book, now I will enjoy his commentary in a new and even more enjoyable light.

3.0 out of 5 stars Stevo pulls no punches, 16 Feb. 2008
SiCo (Northants, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stevo: Looking Back (Hardcover)
I received this book as a Christmas present with mixed feelings: Mike Stephenson is the self-opinionated summariser cum pundit on Sky Sports' otherwise excellent coverage of rugby league. To his credt, however, "Stevo" openly acknowledges that this is how the wider world views him and in this autobiography he takes the reader through his life with surprisingly good narrative style.
The most interesting part of the book is that dealing with "Stevo's" tough upbringing in a working class family living in post-war Dewsbury, Yorks. His graphic description of the poverty in which he and his family lived vividly conveys to the reader the daily struggle to make ends meet.
For somebody like me who has a limited knowledge of the history of the game it was a shock to learn that, shortly after contributing to Great Britain's victory in the World Cup, "Stevo" was forced into international retirement by small-minded, parochial bureaucrats following his decision to ply his trade in the Australian rugby league competition. It's hard to imagine such an attitude prevailing in this modern era of international transfers and the advent of the global game.
Overall, I'd say that the book is of interest to fans of rugby league and provides the reader into an insight on the way in which the sport has developed over the last 30 years through the eyes of one of its most prominent exponents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Humerous read, good fun, 13 July 2009
G. Strettle "SAINTSGUS" (SOUTHPORT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stevo: Looking Back (Paperback)
I'm not sure if all his stories are 100% true, but its a fun and amusing read and gives you an insight into the enigma that is Stevo
In real life I suspect he does understand the game, but his persona specialises in misreading and controversy
There is little of this in the book, for the Dewsbury Dog Millionaire
Well worth a few hours read
I enjoyed it
Geoff

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, gritty humour, 29 May 2009
jonathan43 (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stevo: Looking Back (Paperback)
I you like Stevo you'll enjoy this book. I have enjoyed his story very much because it gives a blow by blow account of his life......typical Stevo with no candy coating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend this seller - A+, 16 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Stevo: Looking Back (Paperback)
The item had arrived as described and good condition. Would recommend this seller and hope to do business again in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stevo - Looking Back, 13 April 2012
This review is from: Stevo: Looking Back (Paperback)
After watching rugby league on telly for many years and listening to Mike's view on the games it was hard to not buy this book. Being a Wessy myself I knew a lot of the places that Mike talks about and I found it very interesting. Definitely going to pass this book on to a friend once I've finished the last few pages. A very good read all round and like so many other books about rugby the stories about boozing and antics never fail to amuse.

4.0 out of 5 stars Steve - Looking back, 29 May 2013
A great read! After reading this book I have gained a new level of respect for Stevo. People of my generation never realise what he has achieved in the game and just think he's the prat that's on the TV. This book has made me realize he's a great guy and more people like him in the world of rugby league would make it a better place.

Stevo: Looking Back
Stevo: Looking Back by Mike Stephenson (Hardcover - 7 Sept. 2007)