on 31 May 2000
This book arrived on Saturday. I have never been to Clarke's restaurant but had read about Sally Clarke in Elizabeth David's biography "Writing at the Kitchen Table". I thought I'd give it a try .. but my goodness ... my cooking has been transformed. So far I've done the fishcakes (perfect texture and taste), the pizza (magnificent), the chicken and three pepper salad (yummy) and I cheated a bit on the couscous salad but it was still absolutely great. This has nothing to do with my cooking (which is not always great) but very much to do with the perfection dictated in the recipes. I am lucky enough to live near a fantastic greengrocer who gets deliveries from Italy everyday (that helps too). But well done to Sally Clarke. I think you are quite brilliant. There is nothing rushed in this cook book, everything has been measured and savoured to perfection!
on 2 October 1999
I haven't been to Clarke's for years, not surprising, as we don't live in London now, but this book is a wonderful record of Sally Clarke's innovative, as it was then, approach to eating out. I ordered this book from amazon.co before the publication date, and it arrived this morning. I've been reading it all day and long to get into the kitchen to try out the recipes - the lavender shortbread and zabaglione cake are first on the list. I can testify that her bread is superb - on my visits to London I always try to dash in and collect a few loaves to bring back for my freezer. I'll be trying those recipes out too. It's interesting to read Sally's observations on her guests and her tributes to staff and suppliers are pleasing and generous. Well done, Sally Clarke and Co!
on 30 June 2000
I have got a LOT of cookery books, and there are only three (out of over one hundred) that I would not like to be without. One of them is "The Naked Chef", another is "Keep it Simple" by Alastair Little, but the most treasured is definitely "Sally Clarke's Book" - it is indispensable: utterly in tune with today's requirements for simple, delicious dishes based on full flavoured, uncompromising quality, this season by season guide is unsurpassable for inventiveness, common sense and inspiration. You cannot fail to be inspired and delighted by this book - it is absolutely first rate.
on 8 August 2001
For any English cook this book is a 'must-have'. Divided into seasonal lunch and dinner menus, Clarke teaches you how to take full advantage of local produce at its best and, crucially, cheapest. However, no products are obscure or unavailable from any green grocer, butcher, or fishmonger so don't be put off. Her recipes are intelligently but simply put together, making them easy to follow and ensuring the flavour of the food is distinct rather than muddled with too many ingredients.
Basics such as stocks, invaluable for a homemade risotto, are comprehensively explained and will ensure you never return to cubes. The creme anglaise you will produce under Clarke's instruction, a velvety, rich, vanilla-infused emulsion, is nothing short of sublime. Many of her bread recipes (and living very near her shop I can assure you I am a devotee) are shared and my home-made efforts gave me such satisfaction in making that any slight imperfection in my first loaf of Hazelnut and Raisin could easily be forgiven.
Though Clark can at times seem a little 'brisk', (her opinions on fresh versus tinned crab are very strong as are they about 'rubbery cocktail olives'), this is because SHE KNOWS WHAT SHE IS TALKING ABOUT. I have tried making the tapenade with just such olives and the result was, of course, vastly inferior to what it would have been had i used the good quality variety suggested. Clarke knows where standards of produce cannot be lowered and I recommend you heed her advice.
This is the cooking book I have used most this year and i cannot recommend it more highly. It is inspirational, highly readable, and, most importantly, ensures (if you Follow Sally's advice)that you produce accomplished food worthy - just - of Clarke's restaurant & shop itself.
on 30 September 2015
I was very curious to see and read a Sally Carke Cook Book. She has been a mentor to one of Australia's top bakers. Sally is obviously a passionate and clever cook. I think for a "home" cook like myself, this was too sophisticated and probably not the style of food served in 2015.
Anne Marie Kemp
on 9 October 2015
I did not find the book too inspiring. Love Sally Clarke's restaurant and shop - but the magic was not in this book! Sorry.
on 26 July 2013
Although this was bought as used it was in excellent almost mint condition, It was also signed by the author also as a bonus