5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous, 3 May 2004
Mrs. A. P. N. Payne (Swindon,, Wiltshire. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: South East Asian Food (Paperback)
I first used this book in 1974 the year I was married. My husband-to-be was in the RAF at the time and stuck in Singapore with a 'sick' aircraft. The fact that he and I were due to be married 5 days later hadn't dawned on the Ministry of Defence. However, once the penny did drop that time was getting tight and that there would be an awful lot of thirsty guests, a bride but no bridegroom if they didn't ship him back to Blighty fairly sharpishly, the cogs of MOD moved quickly. He was despatched home on a civvy flight and arrived home with two days to spare. 'South East Asian Food' by Rosemary Brissenden (published then by Penguin Books) was given to me as a wedding present. It was to commemorate the epic saga of the particular aircraft and the wedding that nearly didn't happen because of it, sent by one of the wonderful RAF Movements people who helped the forlorn bridegroom. It has been with me around the world and has never let me down. It is one of my most treasured possensions and I would be devastated to ever lose it. The recipes are easy to understand, all the ingredients used are authentic and the results are always delicious. I cannot recommend this book more highly. This is a classic cookery book, a Standard that I hope will never go out of print. Whoever buys this cannot fail to enjoy using it.

5.0 out of 5 stars AAA= Curry recipe book, 21 Nov. 2012
I first bought this book in 1973. It was my guide for years of cooking curries and I would recommend it to anybody who likes a good curry. I was very pleased to replace my worn out copy, and hopefully this one will last as long.

5.0 out of 5 stars best south east asian cook book i have ever used, 4 Nov. 2012
This review is from: South East Asian Food (Hardcover)
My parents bought this book in the 1970's when we were living in Malaysia. The recipes it contains provide the most authentic reproduction of Malaysian food I have found in any cook book. Simply delicious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cookbook for SE/E Asian food, 5 Oct. 2014
Had the original paperback for years, it's falling apart plus the index wasn't complete (some recipes weren't listed under the type of meat used) so I just had a look for a searchable electronic edition on the off-chance, and was delighted to find that this was on Kindle.

Delicious authentic recipes. Hainanese chicken rice and beef with pickled onion are the 2 recipes with the highest yum to work ratio (as in, relatively little work compared with the tastiness of the results - you just have to start the chicken dish a couple of hours early but can go off and do other things while it's steeping), and also various chicken/beef with lemongrass recipes.

Other fave recipes (though they need a bit more time as some require a bit of marinading) include lamb with yoghurt and cardamom etc (tip: try using goat's yoghurt instead, lovely milder flavour), Hangle spicey pork belly/shoulder stew (start work early), Goan vindaloo pork, chili beef with tamarind, beef with lemongrass and nuts, beef rendang (again very authentic), on the veggie front cabbage with curry leaves & coconut, an eggy cabbage and spinach with spring onions (none of those is much work), chicken curry using tomato & belacan, pickled chicken with cardamom & cloves, chicken with chilli, cardamom & coriander - the list goes on! Top up your spice collection first, and dive in - it'll be worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Pleased to Have This Update to a Favourite Cook Book...., 7 May 2014
I have the original paperback which I bought years ago - I was really pleased that it was updated in 2007. Definitely a cook book to treasure if you like south east Asian food.

Good to have an eBook version - it's a format that seems well suited to cookery books and recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Encyclopaedic in coverage., 6 April 2013
michael lay (Arundel, West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: South East Asian Food (Hardcover)
This book covers a considerable number of recipes from practically all the countries of South East Asia. The dishes range from the simple every-day ones through to to the sophisticated. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic cookery book, 11 Mar. 2014
This review is from: South East Asian Food (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic cookery book giving a solid grounding on food from a number of south east asian countries. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant cookery book for curry lovers, 28 Oct. 2014
This review is from: South East Asian Food (Hardcover)
Brilliant book, the best we have found on the market so far. My husband is a real curry lover and enjoys cooking from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Aug. 2014
This review is from: South East Asian Food (Hardcover)
A very good book, the recipes are authentic Asian cooking,a good book to gifts anyone interested in cooking.

South East Asian Food
South East Asian Food by Rosemary Brissenden (Paperback - 31 July 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01