on 13 March 2014
Marguerite Patten is a national treasure. This book is crammed with recipes for every type of soup you could imagine. But more than that, she has explained every technique, how it is done, why it is done in a particular way, and how you can change ingredients in any recipe. She is not averse to suggesting the use of tinned ingredients when you are short of time, and how the microwave can be used in the preparation of some of the soups.
There are soups for all seasons, for family meals and for more formal dinner parties. Vegetarians and vegans will find many of the recipes are ideal for them. Patten also gives lots of ideas for garnishing the soups.

Unlike many of the 'celebrity chef' type cookery books which are so popular these days, there are no carefully 'styled' glossy shots of the soups, - no lifestyle commentary, just a wealth of practical information from someone who really knows her subject and how to convey it.
on 15 July 2013
I needed a basic book that is simple to follow. I could burn a salad on any kitchen. This book is brilliant. So easy to understand and follow. I love it. It's not filled with all fancy stuff so if that's what you want go elsewhere. If you want good solid recipes and instructions for delicious hearty soups then this is for you. It's a great place to start for people like me who really don't manage to do anything right in the kitchen. I've made a couple already and they were delicious. Would definitely recommend this book.
on 29 January 2013
Perfectly useful for us, we make qite a lot of soup in the winter time.
We grow out own vegetables so it is a good way of using up surplus veg.
on 28 February 2015
just wanted plain old basic soups, the trouble is I just cannot get all the ingredients here, and I have to have quite plain food, so there
is really only the veg section for me, wish they covered more rather than stuff it full of things no one would ever cook.
on 7 February 2010
good solid fayre from one of our greatest cookery writers .
Well written and tried and tested .
on 14 March 2016
Great book from a trusted cook. I bought it for some ideas to extend my soup repertoire.
on 31 October 2015
As expected - some good basic recipes - would have had 5 stars if illustrated
on 28 November 2015
Timeless classic book, supplied in excellent condition - thank you
on 25 November 2014
Good selection of ideas to try. Great little book.
on 12 December 2015
Not what I expected it was returned.