5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing!, 20 Aug 2008
N. A. Osborne (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You are Therefore I am: A Declaration of Dependence (Paperback)
This is a book of great insight and full of simple truths. Satish Kumar is a light in the darkness of a confused materialistic world. What he offers are suggestions as to how we might be able to get out of a fix through the stories of encounters with visionary people. One to read again and again.

Cheers

5.0 out of 5 stars the best book ive read for years, 31 Aug 2003
from the very first page this is a work of rare genius, truly life changing and worth reading many times over, It is a personal and philosophical masterpiece that i would recommend to everyone.
philosophy student

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly exceptional, 16 Feb 2012
If we had to live in a world where it was only possible to read one book in a life-time this is the book I would choose. Never have I seen in one volume such a complete picture of the philosophy of unity and its relevance in daily life. The author explains, with clarity, depth and simplicity, things that it has taken me 30 years to learn without the benefit of his work. It would be very difficult to read this book without having your life changed in very positive ways. A work of outstanding excellence.

4.0 out of 5 stars inspirational, 5 Nov 2011
If you enjoy Satish Kumar's writings you will like this book. Some parts of the book probably have been touched upon already in his autobiography, but this doesn't detract from it being an inspiring read by a remarkable person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritually and socially inspiring, 27 May 2013
Bess_Wheat - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The book is split into four parts, each focusing on a different era in Kumar's life. The first part details his upbringing and interest in spiritual pursuits. He describes the teachings of his illiterate but spiritual mother who encourages his development in accordance with Jain principles. This allows him to perceive and appreciate the wonder and beauty of the natural world. He leaves his mother on a journey to experience his inner spiritual quest. But as part of a monastic order, he feels disconnected from the outer world. Risking the shame felt by his mother, he leaves the order.

The second part concerns his meetings with other inspirational leaders such as Bertrand Russell and Martin Luther King. They encourage Kumar to pursue and experience liberation in different ways. The third part details his travels through India where he experiences different ways of life and ways to connect to the universal. In the last part, he draws together the messages scattered throughout the book stating that a relational philosophy rather than a divided viewpoint is needed to make progress both spiritually and socially. Perceiving everything as connected, we can be aware of our impact on other people and the environment. This is a lovely, spiritually inspiring book and I highly recommend it. In fact, I would now like to read Kumar's autobiography and learn more about his life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 3 Aug 2012
Book arrived in excellent condition and I was thrilled, this is one book that will never be out on loan again, and proved the old adage, it is better to give than to lend and it costs about the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing!, 3 July 2013
It says "Life changing" in one of the write ups! and it's true! A natural progression from No Destination and how we all should be thinking if we are to save this planet and ourselves!

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended by a friend, 28 Jun 2013
M. Ratcliffe (UK) - See all my reviews
This looks a lovely book and it arrived promptly. I think I shall enjoy it but have loads of others to read first.

You are Therefore I am: A Declaration of Dependence
You are Therefore I am: A Declaration of Dependence by Satish Kumar (Paperback - 1 Jan 2002)