5.0 out of 5 stars Best I've found so far
Published on 20 Feb 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Figure drawing ?
This is a very good book if all you are interested in is portraits. The book has very little to do with the figure despite its title. So beware if you are expecting much about the figure as its not there. However for portait drawing its not bad.
Published on 19 Oct 2011 by J. Chambers

5.0 out of 5 stars Best I've found so far, 20 Feb 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Drawing Portraits: Faces and Figures (Art of Drawing) (Paperback)
As a newcomer to portrait drawing, I was struggling with the features. I bought several books most of which were mediocre to disappointing. Drawing Portraits by Giovanni Civardi was by far and away the best value for money. I also bought Portraits by Susie Hodge. I enjoyed it but for me, it just doesn't compare to Giovanni Civardi. At the other end of the scale 'How to draw anything' by Mark Linley is excellent value for money at 1.99 - it contains some very useful stuff on features of the face as well as just about anything you might want to draw.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Introduction to Drawing Portraits, 8 Jun 2009
Before I bought this book I was hopeless at drawing portraits. I had been drawing for many years - mainly landscapes and observation drawings - but I had never drawn many portraits and the ones I had done were not that good. However, once I purchased this book, there was a vast improvement.

Giovanni looks at the major features of the face: the eyes, nose, mouth and ears. For each feature, he gives a brief description of the factors to take into account when drawing them, a step-by-step guide to drawing them and several example drawings. After explaining the techniques taken through drawing each feature, Giovanni takes a step-by-step approach to drawing the whole face and follows with several example portraits explaining the distinguishable features of each portrait. The approach goes through the basic steps to drawing the face from drawing a brief outline, identifying the major features and slowly building up the detail.

There are two things that I didn't like about this book, mind you. The first is that Giovanni doesn't explain about drawing the hair. All the example portraits have hair but I find they are drawn in a very simple and somewhat childlike manner. The second problem with this book is that Giovanni only shows you how to draw the features from one perspective. He doesn't explain about different expressions and only explains a bit about viewing the features from different angles.

I have used this book strictly as an introduction to drawing portraits. If you would like a more detailed book, I seriously recommend 'The Artist's Complete Guide to Drawing the Head' by William Maughan.

Overall, this is a good book if you are interested in starting to learn how to draw portraits; however people who already have experience may not find it as useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant technique, inspiring examples, 27 Sep 2009
Plainsong (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
I do like the fact that Civardi does not feel obliged to pepper his examples with verbiage - once he has gone over perspective, anatomy, and characteristics of the parts of the face, you are into the examples, with pretty terse explanations - great.
And the examples for me are excellent - alternating between stage by stage development and full page examples.
From the series, I find this and the Hands and Feet book to be the most impressive, with great technique. If I were buying them all again however, I would go for the Complete Guide to Drawing, as this looks to be 7 books for the price of less than 3.

3.0 out of 5 stars Figure drawing ?, 19 Oct 2011
J. Chambers "rafbod" (uk) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars drawing portraits, 28 Sep 2011
P. Robnett (Watford.England) - See all my reviews
a very good book well worth the money loads of hints and tips to make you look at the human form

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for improving on a talent that has already been discovered, 1 Sep 2011
I think the book focuses a bit too much on the internal structure of the body rather than the techniques needed to draw them, but it gives excellent examples of what can be accomplished using different methods and implements. Maybe too many pages are wasted showing the authors work, but it provides you with something to aspire to and inspiration to improve on your skills. Overall, I am glad I purchased this book, but I would say it is more an improvement book rather than a book for beginners.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the budding artist.., 29 Mar 2011
S. E. Wainwright (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Bought this as one of two help books, to try and get myself back into some drawing. Loved the information and the way Giovanni Civardi, talks you through certain procedures down to what pencils he suggests you use.
Am still reading through it, but will be a go-back-to-book on a regular basis.

4.0 out of 5 stars Descriptive, 6 Sep 2013
I found this a good guide for certain images as i obviously got it for a specific reason, however i find that its one of these classic books that seems to skip stages, the majority that i've looked at there are 4 stages, it doesnt show you the inbetween of getting to these stages which is the bit i'm struggling with, but if you're a more well rounded artist i'm very sure you'd enjoy this as it is a beautiful book.

4.0 out of 5 stars good pic, 8 Aug 2013
I bought this book for my sister cos she is sn amsteur srtist. she loved it and she uses it all the time. I have seen it in the shops for alot more money so it was a definate bargain. it was in excellent condition too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Drawing Portraits, 14 Jun 2013
The book is very helpful. Since I am mostly self taught, I often have questions about small details. This book really helps.

ARRAY(0xb59c20c0)

Drawing Portraits: Faces and Figures (Art of Drawing)
Drawing Portraits: Faces and Figures (Art of Drawing) by Giovanni Civardi (Paperback - 7 Aug 2002)
6.29