5.0 out of 5 stars Every small child should have a copy of this book and then their attitudes as adults will really be saving the world., 6 Sep 2008
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: George Saves The World By Lunchtime (Eden Project Books) (Paperback)
This book is such a valuable contribution to an at-home or school bookshelf that I am amazed it doesn't already have a page of great reviews already. It's bright and lively to look at, following a little boy and his Grandpa, and at the same time it introduces clearly and cleverly the ideas of recycling etc. to small children and explaining why it is important.
George is a typical little boy dressed in cape and pants playing at saving the world in a superhero-esque way. But Grandpa is older and wiser and explains a different way to save the planet - and the ways that a small child really can change the world which involves not just recycling and repairing, but eating a locally-produced strawberry tart and hidden treasures in the local charity shop.
Published in 2006, it seems even more timely in 2008 as world fuel prices have rocketed, carrier bags are increasingly reusable and the economic downturn tightens belts across the country. We borrowed this first from the library but despite the credit crunch this is one book we will definitely be splashing out on!

5.0 out of 5 stars We love it!, 1 Aug 2011
tabs (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my 4yr old at the Eden project. In child friendly language it explains why we need to reduce the amount of things we buy and re-cycle as much as we can. George takes his bike to town, learns about why we need to use less energy, composts things in the garden and visits a farmers market. All things that even a child can incorporate into their daily lives.

We also have the other book in this 'series', The world came to my place today' and both my kids love it. These books should be read by more children as they are great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 25 May 2013
Utterly brilliant book with a great message. Love the mixture of photo and drawn illustrations. George is great as the underpants on the outside superhero, but the real hero in my eyes is the fabulous Grandpa. My 2 year old daughter totally loves this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars George Saves The World By Lunchtime!, 17 Jan 2012
Purchased for my Pre-school, to support our 'Recycling' Theme this Term. Engaging illustrations; easily recognisable characters; information presented in manageable chunks, with ample opportunity to discuss each section, without 'losing' my audience. I have some very young children currently, so didn't read the whole book in one go.

A great resource, promoting a positive message to young children. Definately recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Story, 31 Oct 2013
Bought this for my grandson called George. It's a great stroy about recycling and encourages kids to do so in a very friendly and happy way. Good book to have in this re-birth of super hero books!

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter needed it for a topic that her class was covering and was very pleased with it, 29 Sep 2014
Lovely themed book. My daughter needed it for a topic that her class was covering and was very pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice to feel yourself a hero, 14 Oct 2014
Another book from green people. Nice to feel yourself a hero, when you looking after environment. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Sep 2014
Another excellent book for nursery children.

4.0 out of 5 stars Too old for my 4 year old and 6 year olds., 13 Nov 2013
This will be a great book when my kids are a bit older. Its full of information on recycling and reusing and generally protecting the environment but from the cover it looks like a simple superhero adventure tale. Result: it was a bit preachy. I think for older kids it would go down well, but not sold as a fun story, more as a fun way to talk about environmental issues.

George Saves The World By Lunchtime (Eden Project Books)
George Saves The World By Lunchtime (Eden Project Books) by Dr Jo Readman (Paperback - 7 Sep 2006)