4.0 out of 5 stars Dip in and out
I have to say this is not one of the easiest books to use as there is no index, so you cannot easily go to the right chapter! Therefore you will need sticky notes to help you find your relevant sections again - mind you its a weighty tomb to read.

Published on 17 Jun. 2010 by Pandy

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but a bit unstructured -very badly needs an index
Helpful information, but often repetitive through out the whole book- too much 'cut and paste' and could have been more concise overall.
Shame, as the overall content was helpful but the poor structure and repetiton let it down.
Published on 11 April 2013 by Freckles

4.0 out of 5 stars Dip in and out, 17 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Assessment in Childcare: Using and Developing Frameworks for Practice (Paperback)

There are a number of good chapters by very well respected authors, I have not read them all, but so far I really liked the chapter on pre birth assessments and this has helped me consider how to improve my assessments. Also the chapter on alcohol misuse and one on domestic violence are very good.

I have to admit the chapter on risk assessment lost me and I gave up on it, too many complicated diagrams. In my defence I work full time so only get to read in bed and this chapter makes me go to sleep.

Expensive, but one you will return to again and again as it is reliable and thorough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for childcare placement!, 11 Jan. 2012
T. Horner (Limavady, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
I almost didn't buy this book because it was expensive but I am very glad I did. It was invaluable during my childcare placement, being very useful for myself as a (then) undergraduate but I can also see how it could be a book that the qualified social will refer to again and again. It was also recommended by my tutor as a book by well respected authors that would likely attract extra marks for variation in referencing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book! Great for starting as Newly Qualified Social Worker, 16 Nov. 2013
I've just started as a Newly Qualified social Worker! The book is great for supporting when writing the analysis for the C&F assessments! Worth getting if your going into the field of child protection! Most of the social workers I work with have a copy on their desk!

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but a bit unstructured -very badly needs an index, 11 April 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for good practise, 6 Dec. 2010
Excellent book and a definate must for all social workers, no matter how experienced. If you want to keep up good professional practise then this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Assessment in childcare: using and developing frameworks for practice., 13 Oct. 2010
This book was recommended by a colleague, it seemed an expensive buy, but since having this its been a god send! The information is clear and detailed, great for use in assessments for referencing. Its an extensive book, covering many aspects of assessments, I would advise its read chapter by chapter as it is very detailed and can get confusing. This book is a definate for any children's social care workers and i have used it everyday to inform my assessments and develop my knowledge and thinking/reflecting.
The chapters are relevant and useful for childcare workers, areas such as Domestic violence, substance dependency to name a few, this is extended to look at impact on child and parenting capacity and others areas.
Highly reccomended!