5.0 out of 5 stars A sensual fantasy
Published on 17 Nov 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars magickal and amazing but...
Published on 2 Feb 2009 by J. Turner

5.0 out of 5 stars A sensual fantasy, 17 Nov 2002
This review is from: The Owl Woman (Paperback)
Well ... I wasn't expecting this. Owl Woman is a remarkable, sensual story with a twist in its tale. It's set in 1999 in the everyday world and yet it's about magic. I've always thought of "magic" along with "fluffy bunnies" but this is different. I felt I could have been a couple of the characters (no! I'm not saying which!) and that actually gave me to think. Is magic perhaps real after all? I can see the things that happen in the book happening in real life - even if some of them are seriously weird, and that makes me pause. There's a couple of really horrid bits which make your stomach turn but they fit perfectly into the plot. I like the characters too. I've met them - and you will have too - and without ever considering they might be witches or weirdos. And the place got to me, I've had the maps out trying to find where it is but Sentier has (so far) hidden it quite well ... damn her! There's places I sort of think I know but they're not near other places in the book, I guess she's done a mix&match. Read it, if you like the unusual and the sensual this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical Murder & Owl Lore ..., 17 Nov 2002
This review is from: The Owl Woman (Paperback)
It is an excellent book. Although a novel it deals in great depth with the Owl Totem and Owl Deities and there is a great deal of Owl lore woven into the story. The novel itself is very Shamanic, the author is clearly very experienced in the field of Shamanism, in fact one of the key characters is a Shaman. The story is a kind of murder mystery with Shamanic journeying, scrying, animal familiars, witchcraft and other techniques being used by both sides as they compete to discover a Celtic grail. It's a very good read in terms of a novel, but is also extremely educuational for those interested in Shamanism, Magic or Celtic Traditions and would fit your requirements very nicely!

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible and brilliantly original novel, 23 Nov 2002
This review is from: The Owl Woman (Paperback)
Magic, Romance, Horror, Environmentalism and Grail Mysteries all in one tightly written story, fantastic.
This is a story of magical murder and mystery. Meet Witches and Shamans teaming up with ordinary everyday people as they battle to save a quaint British village and an ancient Celtic Grail. Luckily our heroes are working under the watchful eye of some pretty shrewd cats who give them a helpful nudge in the right direction and a touch of Magical help too.
The body of a local man is found floating in a lake below a waterfall. Unbeknown to an inquisitive detective there is a huge Magical battle occurring behind the scenes. He knows something isn't right, but what judge in the land will believe a murder has been carried with the help of witchcraft and Otherworldly helpers(willingly or not)?
An incredible and brilliantly original novel in it's own right. There is more however, as I was reading the book I realised that entwined within the beautiful and intricate plot are the heroes of the Arthurian legends. And as for those magical techniques, are they really just fiction?

5.0 out of 5 stars More please!, 17 Nov 2002
This review is from: The Owl Woman (Paperback)
Elen Sentier's book is stunning. It's a real gift from a wise, skilled, exciting writer who weaves creativity, authenticity and personal power together in a way that makes the whole story come alive. You dive into it and, when you come to the end, it's as though you've been in another world. You come out breathless, wanting more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Owl Woman is fantastic !!!, 17 Nov 2002
This review is from: The Owl Woman (Paperback)
Owl Woman is fantastic! It really is. I've been reading it on the train and I keep nearly missing my stop. The story line's great, the characters are great, the descriptions are fantastic, the detail's excellent. One of the great things about the book, as well as the great story, is the level of detailed knowledge of magic. The use of magic for murder is great idea, adds a whole new angle, and of course with Sentier's knowledge of the subject it adds a whole other dimension - and the twist as to who the murderer really is is stunning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spooky but cheerful - a good winter read, 6 Nov 2003
This review is from: The Owl Woman (Paperback)
I read this as the days grew shorter and I was feeling glum. It really cheered me up - a leisurely pace, good plotting and good humour abounding, really bad baddies and humanly believable goodies draw you on into the plot - meanwhile Elen Sentier has planted some fascinating stuff about the British native tradition in her story, stuff you won't easily find elesewhere, so it's educative too. I particularly liked the deltective Hardacre who ends up a convert to the old ways, and becomes a magical hero himself. Recommended for anyone who is interested in native traditions but dislikes new agey nonsense. Elen S has her head screwed on and the novel has its heart in the right place too

3.0 out of 5 stars magickal and amazing but..., 2 Feb 2009
J. Turner (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Owl Woman (Paperback)
I loved the story, I loved the characters...Elen Sentier is a wonderful storyteller, no doubt about that - but - the book wasn't particularly well written,some of it was rather a mishmash,leading me to wonder if it was a first novel or if Ms. Sentier was more practised at oral talespinning. Also there were a few grammatical errors, and a printing one where one whole paragraph was repeated twice. And the bad guys were a bit stereotypical, (as was the american 'squirrel lady') but the beautifully rounded characterisations of the main 'players' more than made up for that. I'd like to have seen some of the other characters more developed too, but on the whole it was a good read and I would like to read more of Ms Sentiers work now I've had a taste of what she can do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Otherworldly wonder, 4 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Owl Woman (Paperback)
I adore this book. There is so much in it. The characters are amazingly real, you really get a sense of who they are. I particularly like the use of Magic and wonder in everyday life, which is my favourite type of writing, bringing together the beautiful aspects of nature as well as the mysterious. The plot is thrilling, I stayed up all night to finish it! It's a warm novel, full of real people who talk, think, act and live like real people. They are characters I will remember forever. The author has a wicked sense of humour and a beautiful way with words. This book is shaped with care and full of wonderful moments. I would recommend it to anyone who looks at a forest or a well and sees more...

5.0 out of 5 stars Spell-binding, 14 Jan 2003
jeani (Seattle, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Owl Woman (Paperback)
This is the first Elen Sentier I've heard of or read. I hope she writes more as this has really whetted my appetite, it's quite something. I can't find any others in print. I've been reading fantasy for ages and the thing that comes closest to it for me is Terri Windling's "The Wood Wife". Sentier's characters are well developed, they live and their emotions are raw and real. It's the first time a fantasy book has brought me to tears. The Owl Woman is joining the ranks of the "well-thumbed" on my book shelf. Read it, be it, love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 4 Jun 2014
This review is from: Owl Woman (Paperback)
A proper tale of people weaving modern, technological life with their commitment to the spirits we usually ignore. Particular highlights are the plod (with his unexpected allegiances) and the three cats, doing their thing as only cats can. I was planning to take this book as a leisurely night time read -- but ended up devouring it in a couple of sittings. Thanks Elen!

The Owl Woman
The Owl Woman by Elen Sentier (Paperback - 6 Aug 2002)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available