I shied away from this book because of a previous reviewer that mentioned how Christian oriented it was. That review gave me the notion that it was more of a religious polemic about why Christians should adopt, etc. But that is not so. Actually, the author's religion is mentioned only twice and briefly.

This is a fantastic, simply written, easy to read set of...
Published on 17 Nov. 2007 by Dendera

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
A class
Published 13 days ago by Sonia K.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for anyone, of any background, wanting to know the process & the emotions involved, 17 Nov. 2007
This review is from: An Adoption Diary (Paperback)

This is a fantastic, simply written, easy to read set of short chapters taking us through the step-by-step process that led this couple from IVF to adopting a child. There are so very many ups and downs, disappointments and frustrations... a true 'labour' that lasted months to years, with fears and joys along the way. I think it is a marvelous inside look, without any rose tinted glasses on, with a strong message of just what it will take from you and take out of you to become a parent in this way.

The book was originally written in 1998 it seems, with a 2005 update. So the changes to the process post the 2005 changes in the adoption law aren't fully incorporated... but that doesn't ultimately devalue this book. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - and great for explaining the process to family members, 18 May 2008
This review is from: An Adoption Diary (Paperback)
I identified with Maria James as a prospective adopter and all the rollercoaster of emotions that one goes through on the process.

I am pleased to say that although our son's placement was a lot more straightforward than the authors situation, I also identified with the joy of finally being a mum!

Couldn't recommend this more highly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly wonderful, a must read for anyone considering adoption!, 8 Aug. 2010
This review is from: An Adoption Diary (Paperback)
This book is wonderful. I am considering adoption as a single parent and this book has given me a very clear insight into the process involved. For a start I had no idea the process would take so long or of the barriers that have to be overcome by all parties involved i.e. the adoptive parents, the child, foster carers, Social Workers, the legal system and the birth family. Although this book does have a very happy ending I imagine there are people who have gone through this experience who haven't had the happy ending of finally adopting a child to love.

I am now doubtful of whether or not I could cope with going through this process alone. The thought of being rejected as a prospective adoptive parent is also difficult to consider. I hope I'm courageous enough to go through with the process to fulfil my dream of becoming a Mum and giving a child a home where they can grow as an individual, be happy and most of all loved.

5.0 out of 5 stars We all feel the same, 13 Sept. 2008
H. R. Gourlay "Happy Helen" (Wakefield) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Adoption Diary (Paperback)
I found this book an excellent read. It shows that although the adoption process is different for everybody a lot of the emotions are exactly the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must read' for anyone involved in adoption, 12 April 2010
V. C. Colburn - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Adoption Diary (Paperback)
I bought this book for my daughter just after she and her husband had adopted a 15 month old child in Hong Kong but I didn't expect it to be very relevant to her situation. However, when she got round to reading it a couple of months later, she was completely absorbed in it. She could relate to all the intricacies of the pre-adoption process and more importantly to the whole gamut of experiences, emotions and prejudices that the author described. It was a great consolation to her that her own experiences and feelings were normal and so simlar to those described by the author.

She has no hesitation in recommending this book to anyone who is about to embark upon or is already involved in the highs and lows of adoption.

5.0 out of 5 stars I read this within 24hrs! - Brilliant!, 29 July 2010
This review is from: An Adoption Diary (Paperback)
I got this book from our library yesterday afternoon and I've just finished it - I would have finished yesterday if I didn't have to go to sleep :)

Me and my husband are about to embark on the adoption path and have so many questions and fears - this book/diary has answered so many and also helped us find more questions to ask that we perhaps wouldn't have thought of.

It's chapters are quite short which helped me with my short attention span (although that wasn't an issue with this book anyway).

I found the book insightful, emotional, honest and moving and although some parts spelt out all the aspects of adoption I have been fearing, it made me see the process from all angles and has prepared me (as much as you can be) for the rollercoaster journey ahead.

My husband plans to read it now too, so I've just ordered our own copy.

I think it will be great too for family and friends to read it as they will then have an insight into the struggles and wonders we are facing.

Wonderfully written Maria - well done! I would love to hear the continuing story of your lives with Peter who sounds like an amazing, loving, brave and resilient little boy!

I urge anyone interested in adoption (whether you're about to start out, thinking about it, know someone who is adopting or are struggling through the process) to buy this book. It's a treasure and exactly what I've been looking for!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, 20 Mar. 2009
J. Watson (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Adoption Diary (Paperback)
I cannot recommend this book more. It was un-put-downable. My husband and I are at the very early stages of the adoption process and I wanted to hear (read) an honest account into the adoption process.

I think the book was well written, honest and also very informative and I'm sure I will read it again as our journey progresses. The time scale for me was the most telling thing. Everyone says adoption is a long process and I felt every month go by with the auther. It certainly shows the adoption proces for what it is, warts and all, but the joy felt by the auther has only spurred me and my husband on to go for it 110%.

Read this book now if you are considering adoption!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Adoption Diary, 9 Jun. 2009
This review is from: An Adoption Diary (Paperback)
Excellent read and would recommend it to anyone considering adopting. My husband and I are at the beginning of this process and already found ourselves better prepared (than others) because we read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant insight, 6 Feb. 2011
This review is from: An Adoption Diary (Paperback)
This book is totally compelling - I couldn't put it down. It is a very good insight into the process of adoption & tells of the ups & downs, the heartaches & the amazing moments beautifully. A really good place to start for adoption research. From the perspective of someone who is just beginning this journey, it's made me think about a lot of things I hadn't even considered before - all valuable for preparing to embark on this process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adoption Diary, 7 Mar. 2011
This review is from: An Adoption Diary (Paperback)
My husband and I found this book really useful as we are nearing a placement ourselves. It has made us more aware of the emotional journey and practical issues we have already faced and are about to face. It is a short read, very honest, real and although there are difficult things to share there are also wonderful moments and a feeling that it is all worth it in the end.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

An Adoption Diary
An Adoption Diary by Maria James (Paperback - 18 Aug. 2006)