5.0 out of 5 stars A fine work
Published on 19 Jan 2007 by C. J. Underwood

1.0 out of 5 stars very boring
its a very long story about a man who is questioning his identity, it failed to captivate my attention, very disappointing
Published on 18 Oct 2010 by Georgia

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine work, 19 Jan 2007
C. J. Underwood (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cypriot (Paperback)
This is a truly elegant novel written in a solid, adaptable prose which is capable of alternately drenching the reader in glorious Mediterranean sunshine and the bitter grey light of the British cityscape. Although you may approach this book from the point of view an outsider, an individual alien to the troubles of Cyprus, Andreas Koumi, through well-realised and fully-rounded characters quickly draws you into his dramatisation of the island's early-mid 20th century history.

From the very first section of the prologue, Koumi in a dazzling burst of silver and oceanic light embeds the reader's consciouness in the astounding geograhpic beauty of the island, before shattering that precious momentary escape by dragging us back into an uncomfortable London reality. This physical division between, what are instantly established as two different worlds, creates an emotional paradigm that the struggle against the metaphysical divisions of ethnicity and religion attempts to shift.

Without a doubt this is one of the most moving and evocative narratives on the traumas, momentary and life-long, caused by the unecessary and irrational enforcement of artificial boundaries on the movements of the human heart. Consequently, this just might possibly be one of the great fictional stories of this century just as its subject matter is one of the greatest factual tragedies of the last.

This is the first the literary world has heard from Andreas Koumi, let us hope we hear from him again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cypriot by Andreas Koumi, 31 July 2006
This review is from: The Cypriot (Paperback)
This book is not only an awesome piece of writing but it is a thoroughly educational, entertaining and moving read.

Although it is a novel, it has an autobiographical feel about it. The author has clearly questioned his own identity as a 'Cypriot' and carried out extensive research so as to put this novel together and educate, inform and try and re-unite his fellow Cypriots.

As a non-Cypriot myself, it taught me about Cyprus and the horrific division of the island. It taught me about Cypriot people and the anguish of living through such testing times. It taught me that being 'a Cypriot' is the way forward by uniting Cypriot people from whichever religious faith they belong. Living in harmony on the same island and declaring 'we are Cypriots, we are the same people' would teach the world to take example from this. This book offers a solution to the Cyprus problem.

Andreas Koumi's writing is very accessible and colourful. He writes in a non-pretentious way and clearly has wonderful literary ability. The book is also full of lovely little translations of traditional Cypriot songs and chants which are highly entertaining!

This book also invites people that invest their interest in Cyprus and its people to be 'Cypriots'. I am therefore now also a Cypriot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and compelling, 29 July 2006
This review is from: The Cypriot (Paperback)
'The Cypriot' is a beautiful and compelling story about Cyprus, its people, their struggle and love. "Zoe R" must have read a different book, or at least not read it very carefully. In 'The Cypriot' it is Andonis himself, not his son (?), who falls for a Turkish Cypriot girl. The only problem with 'The Cypriot' is that when you start reading it you cannot put it down and when you get to the end you want to read it again. Louis de Bernières, Jeffrey Archer, eat your hearts out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond any expectation..., 22 Mar 2007
N. Ioannides "inectarios" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cypriot (Paperback)
I must admit I am left surprised, impressed and inspired.

After buying this book, I kept it on my bookshelf for a few days without even glancing at it until the day I finally decided to give it a brief look in order to at least justify the fact that I got into the trouble of buying it! What a "dreadful mistake" that was to make in the middle of an exam period...By the 20th page I was literally hooked and did not want to put it down, not even to eat. I ended up reading it back to back in less than 2 days. I rarely catch my self reading anything that can keep me so "magnetised", let alone for hours. Being familiar with Cypriot culture and history obviously meant that I could relate to the characters, sceneries and events described a bit easier than the average reader(I suspect) but this takes away nothing from the proficiency and charisma with which these have been depicted on paper. "The Cypriot" was for me an unexpected surprise and a thoroughly entertaining read. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better then Slice bread, 29 July 2006
I wasn't born in Cyprus - my parents were and I've been to Cyprus a few

times. What I love about the book is that Andonis's village could be

any village on the island. The author deliberately doesn't name it. The

book made me think of my mum's village and paints an evocative picture

of Cyprus as I remember it. I recommend this book to people who love

Cyprus. And it made me cry at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eleven marks out of ten ., 3 Aug 2006
This review is from: The Cypriot (Paperback)
The Cypriot is one of those books that transfixes you and this becomes obvious from the very first chapter .

In my opinion the author has written the Cypriot in a style that evokes a myriad of feelings , emotions , colour .Take the example of the character description of the army captain , I could clearly visualise him in front of me having read his introduction into the book .

The passion behind the author's writing combined with the skilful introduction of love , conflict , happiness , sadness made me feel that I wanted to see all that I was reading portrayed in front of me so maybe Andreas Koumi can work on a film version of his excellent book as his next project .

I often pass books that I have read to family and friends but I shall be holding on to this one .

5.0 out of 5 stars This makes a difference for Cyprus., 1 Aug 2006
Amelia Dillingham (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cypriot (Paperback)
I'm so relieved this book has come out because I genuinely think it can make a difference for Cyprus. It's a love story but not just the one between Andonis and Funda. It's the story of the love Cypriots have for their country. It's a book about loving Cyprus.

Everyone talks about 'Bitter Lemons' but this is the second book about Cyprus. It reeks of Cyprus. The food, the culture, the language. People who don't understand Cyprus need to read it to understand why there is a problem between the Greek Cypriots and the Turkish Cypriots and between the Cypriots and the British.

It's a deeply political book but it's a different sort of politics. The politics of knowing you can be caught up inside a cliche or nationality but you can be different. You can change. Diversity is what it's about. It's about recognising that there were good British people and maybe bad British people - colonialism wasn't all bad. You can't right off the church. It isn't all bad. Or the communists. Or the Greek or Turkish Cypriots - and that's what's been happening in Cyprus. It's a really good book for British people. It is the sort of book that talks about a new politics where people don't leave things to their 'betters', their politicians. It's about people doing things for themselves and understanding that Cyprus is not going to change unless Cypriots work together to change it.

A fabulous character in the book is the British officer, 'the captain' who went native and became Cypriot. It shows that everyone who goes to Cyprus with an open mind and an open mind can become Cypriot too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 Jun 2006
This review is from: The Cypriot (Paperback)
A wonderful book that works through the love and pain of cypriots in love while the island is going through agonising times.

I truely recommend this book to all on all levels wether you just like a good love story, interested in cyprus or like to learn more about cypriots.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story, 30 July 2006
J. C. Antoniou (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cypriot (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. You get drawn in almost immediately and the author keeps you hooked by slowly painting a picture of the tragedy and trauma experienced by Andonis, the main character, using a 'before' and 'after' device through alternate chapters:

first in 1950s Cyprus -

written in the first person, then in 1970s London, written in the third person.

The book is fantastic because it offers a solution to the age-old Cyprus problem through character and not by banging people over the head.

It's not politically driven in the sense that it doesn't come

down on either side, left or right, British or Cypriot, Greek or Turk, religious or non-religious. It's blaming both as its praising both.

It's a great love story that happens to be set in a political

situation. This book hurt me. I was deeply upset that that the

beautiful girl couldn't marry the man she loved. It made me want to swear. It shows that its down to the people to solve the Cyprus problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional read - fantastic, 9 Nov 2006
This review is from: The Cypriot (Paperback)
Andreas Koumi's novel is well-written, interesting and very evocative. As a Cypriot born and brought up in London, I have never truly understood the history of my family or my homeland; this novel really made me think.

I thought I 'knew' Cyprus, but this excellent book made me see it with new eyes. I finished the book in a day, I literally could not put it down.

Koumi has clearly researched the material very carefully; I could recognise many of the characteristics in people I know. This book does not throw accusations, nor does it place blame. The Cypriot made me truly think, and now, when people ask; 'what are you?' I will think twice before answering Greek.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Cypriot, The
Cypriot, The by Andreas Koumi (Paperback - 2 July 2009)