5.0 out of 5 stars flip side lifestyle of of a footballing hero
I first remember Tony Cascarino as goalscoring hero for surprise package Millwall in the 1988-89 footballing season. Forming a lethal partnership with Teddy Sheringham, myself and other schoolboys could only wonder at the life and times to be had as each saturday these players would get to live out the dream in the footballing arena.
Full time however offers a...
Published on 7 Oct 2001 by hdeedes@hotmail.com

3.0 out of 5 stars A unique footballer's autobiography; more a confessional.
Published on 5 Mar 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars flip side lifestyle of of a footballing hero, 7 Oct 2001
This review is from: Full Time: The Secret Life of Tony Cascarino (Paperback)
Full time however offers a unique and fascinating insight into the less glamorous flip side to being a professional footballer.
The average run of the mill football book is painted with the usual hyperbole of the love for the game and exileration of pulling on your boots each afternoon.
Cascarino's canvas is more severe. what happens when your body can't take it anymore? what happens when all the abuse, the bad press and the pressure of being a million pound player convinces you you just aren't good enough? what happens when, like anyone else each morning, sometimes you just can't be bothered?
Since the dawn of the million pound footballer, there are many out there who won't remember Tony Cascarino, but it doesn't matter. There is enough here that convinces me this is an essential read for anyone who fears the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest to the point of masochism, 3 Oct 2001
This review is from: Full Time: The Secret Life of Tony Cascarino (Paperback)
As an Englishman living in France who has followed Tony Cascarino's career during his time here, even interviewing him once, I know first hand of the esteem the clubs and their supporters hold him in. Even during my short interview with him, his honesty and openess was very apparent, and as such, his book did not come as a surprise to me. What is more surprising is his openess about his 'private' life.
Footballers have previously told the 'truth' behind the glamour (see 'Left foot forward' by Garry Nelson), but this is possibly the first book by a footballer who looks out beyond the game. Football is really secondary in this book, and whole chunks of his career are dismissed in a few sentences. This book really would make a wonderful film.
Good luck Tony in whatever you are doing now, and come back to France soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch, 30 Jun 2005
Dec (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This book bucks the trend in which all other Sports Books/'Autobiographies' are written. This in my opinion is largely down to both the author Paul Kimmage and its subject.
Cascarino gives Kimmage the perfect template for a story. Whilst not being a superstar, Cascarino has some truly honest stories to tell from his times at a multitude of clubs. Due to Cascarino's popularity (or lack of) Kimmage does not have to be fearful of writing something that needs snappy soundbites for some tabloid serialisation and is instead allowed to write a thrilling account of one players account of life during football.
I cant recommend this story highly enough as it seems to be the perfect sports 'autobiography'. Firstly, its brutally honest. Its also written just as he has finished his career, therein Cascarino does not have to feign nice-ities with anyone and is not afraid of saying something which may jeopardise his career. Finally, Cascarino's story does what a book like this should do - give you a true insight into the man.
Comparing Roy Keane to Tony Cascarino is like comparing chalk and cheese. On the football pitch there would be no contest, but on the bookshelves the difference in how football books should be written is plain to see.
If you enjoy this book and like the sytle of writing, pick up Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage on his life in the Tour de France.

5.0 out of 5 stars My book of the year (and its only January!), 21 Jan 2002
This review is from: Full Time: The Secret Life of Tony Cascarino (Paperback)
I enjoy reading sporting biographies and in a way I regret buying this book. This is because Full Time is simply the best I have ever read and nothing else is likely to come close.
Of course, I don't regret buying this book at all! It fantastic, brilliant, inspired. So different to any sporting bio I've ever read, and I've read quite a few. His relationship with his father explains many things (I know - I had a similar one).
Do yourself a favour, but this book because you will not regret it for one moment. Honest!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Football Autobiography ?, 10 Feb 2005
Andy Hoare (Overton, Hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
If that's what you want, you know the type where they drone on about how many goals they scored and that then DON'T buy this book. If you want a frightenly honest book, more about a man who is as falliable as you or I, but gets to act it out on a world stage then this is the book for you. I must have about 20-30 sports biographies and autobiographies and this is head and shoulders above the rest. A deeply honest book about a troubled childhood, an amazing footballing career and relationships which would test anyone. It is the sort of book which you cannot put down and will read again and again. I never supported any of the clubs Tony Cascarino played for, but he is someone I now deeply respect and would love to meet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime........, 13 Jan 2010
David Madden (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This book is just wonderful! A friend gave it to me when visiting me in hospital and I looked at it skeptically thinking how could anyone write a good book on Tony Cascarino. However boredom & insomnia forced me into opening it at about 12 midnight and 5 hours later, I was in reader's heaven. Paul Kimmage is a wonderful story-teller who writes with buckets of empathy. He has a unique, flowing & sensitive turn of phrase. He elicits information from subjects that we all crave. Cascarinos's searing honesty is the endearing quality of this book - he gives us the whole lot warts 'n' all. He tells it as it is, accepts responsibility and makes no excuses - so refreshing for a sportsperson. This book is unputdownable and if it was written about a world class footballer, it would be labelled a sports classic. This book deserves a place in the pantheon of great sports writing. You wont pause for breath until the very last page with WOW being the overwhelming sentiment!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Football Book Ever Written, 9 Oct 2001
This review is from: Full Time: The Secret Life of Tony Cascarino (Paperback)
Eventhough I've never really rated Cascarino as a player I'd put this book in my all time top 10. It's a far cry from the "Tuesday, Oct 1, I woke up, had toast for breakfast, went training, then spent the afternoon playing golf" type of book other players have written. Full Time provides a wonderful insight into some of the games most well known characters (the portrayal of Jack Charlton is class!). Fair play to Mr Cascarino for providing us a brutally honest and often hilarious account of what it's like being a professional footballer. Even if you don't like football, you will enjoy this. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars A unique footballer's autobiography; more a confessional., 5 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This is an exceptionally well written autobiography (by a footballer)which is less about football and more about Tony Cascarino's desire to purge his guilt; about cheating on his wife; not really being Irish enough to play for that country; allowing his girlfriend to give birth to his child alone; and about fears of being inadequate as a footballer. I enjoyed reading it but would suggest it is not for hard core football fans who want to reminisce about Ireland's World Cup successes as the author reveals a surprising boredom with the game towards the end of his career. It is more for those who enjoy a bit of soul-searching about the mistakes they have made in life and how they have affected others. Probably more suited to male readers as most females would probably find his revelations and indeed him objectionable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Sports Autobiography, 9 Feb 2009
Dennis King "sport sinned" (London) - See all my reviews
This is with out doubt my favourite sports autobiography. I have read quite a few and this comes out tops. I have read the book several times and would thoroughly recommend it to both football fans and non football fans. It is an extremely honest and frank account of a life of a professional footballer with issues. You will look at footballers in a different light once you have read this. I have brought this book as a present for a mate (football fan) and found out that his partner (non football fan) read and really enjoyed it! Do not be put off by the fact that the book is old. Take it from me, it does not age.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read - even for those who aren't football fans, 3 Jan 2001
By A Customer
It was with some trepidation that I picked up Full Time - being neither a football fan nor knowing anything about Cascarino, I was acting merely on my friends' rave reviews about the book. I can honestly say that I was hooked from beginning to end. I don't admire all of Cascarino's actions, but who couldn't admire someone who has been so candid about his lack of confidence on the pitch and the many mistakes he has made in his private life. I would certainly recommend this to others, whether sports fans or not.

Full Time: The Secret Life of Tony Cascarino
Full Time: The Secret Life of Tony Cascarino by Paul Kimmage (Paperback - 6 Aug 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01