on 14 June 2008
This was not entirely what I expected upon first picking it up. From the title I imagined the book would be a typical fantasy book. However, this novel read more like a historical novel with elements of fantasy than a strictly fantasy novel. For me the story started slowly, the intial chapter didn't really grab my attention, but after that the story became much more interesting and involving.

Spellbound starts in Norway in 1581 where a young women named Silje, her entire family wiped out by the plague, finds and raises two orphans. The tale revolves around Silje, her struggles, and her involvement with the mystical ice people after a chance meeting with one man.

An interesting start to a series with plenty of potential. I for one look forward to the next book.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This very readable novel is the first in a series by best-selling Scandinavian author Margit Sandemo, whose books are being made available for the first time in English. Sandemo is the author of a hundred and seventy novels, a feat that becomes more believable when you note that, at two-hundred-and-fifty-five nicely-spaced pages, "Spellbound" is actually a bit short for a Fantasy novel. A forty-seven-book series is still an impressive achievement whatever way you look at it.

"Spellbound" introduces Silje, an orphaned teenager who has come to the big city of Trondheim seeking refuge after her family is wiped out by disease. Destitute and starving, Silje takes another orphan and a foundling under her wing, before falling in with what she believes to be a group of rebels against the absentee king.

Induced to save one of the 'rebels' from torture and execution, Silje wins the protection of their fascinating and mysterious leader. Returned to the threatening mountains--home to the Ice People of the title-- that she thought she had escaped, she begins a new life with the two children. But peace and tranquility cannot last for long, and soon Silje is driven once again to seek help from the rebels--but are they rebels? And what is their leader's secret, a secret that troubles him so much that he has sworn never to lie with a woman.

This book was a fast and enjoyable read. Silje is a whole person--a woman sensual yet chaste, vulnerable yet competent. She finds depths of strength within herself when rising to the challenges she's forced to face, while at the same time yearning to express her creative side. There are some lovely touches when her lack of domesticity is observed or commented on. She's been promised a different future in which she can express herself, but, meanwhile, the baby has nappy rash.

The sixteenth-century setting convinces at least partly because the author doesn't try too hard--she has nothing to prove. The stark ice and snow, the long wagon journey on which the baby can't be fed because his milk is frozen, and so his "screams would echo in giant caverns".

Where the book perhaps falls down is in setting out what the characters are feeling too clearly, rather than enabling the reader to make deductions based on observation. Telling us what Silje is feeling means her feelings are only shallowly felt; this deprives the book of much of the passion it's striving for. If those feelings could be evoked in the reader with something of the author's own intensity, this book would be unputdownable.

Closing off its story arc nicely, this volume of "The Legend of the Ice People" leaves plenty of threads dangling to induce the reader to try more.
on 9 July 2008
I have read all of Margits 180 + books in norwegian. Spellbound, the first book in The Legend of the Ice People, is the start of a colossal saga. Total 47 titles.
I find the english translation very good.

Beware that this is not ordinary fantasy. More historic, epic, romance and supernatural, but there is a fantasy feel to the books, and more as the series develops. And for the supernatural... She has been careful with this in the first books, but certainly makes up for that later! And it is the distinct supernatural earthy feeling that for me makes these books stand out from all those other boring sagas and romantic novels.
on 30 June 2008
I first read Spellbound 4 years ago and fell in love with the series. When I found out it was being translated to english (i'm icelandic) I was thrilled for all the people who are now able to read the books. I really love the books because it's not your typical love/fantasy story. You learn a lot about history and how Europe changed through the ages.
I have now just finished reading book no. 18 and waiting for the next one, there are 47 books in the series so you have got a lot to look forward to!!
on 4 August 2008
I had the priviledge of meeting Margit Sandemo at the launch of her Saga 'Legend of the Ice People'
Now that I have read the first volume I have pre-ordered the next 3 volumes as I am keen to know what happens.
Margit is a true story teller carrying you along with the plot, I read far into the night just to find out what comes next and I was disappointed when the book ended as there is so much more to find out about the characters.
Thank goodness for Tagman Press for translating such a talented author into English and making her stories, that have captivated Scandinavia and Europe, available at last to the English speaking world. She deserves to be widely read and I can thoroughly recommend her books as a good light read, with hidden depths.
on 31 July 2008
I've already read all of the books in this series so I knew exactly what to expect. However, I was excited to see what it would be like to read in English since I read the Swedish edition in the 80's.

But just like 20 years ago when I read it the first time I was quickly drawn into the story about Silje and Tengel.
What I really like about these books is the mix of old Scandinavian folklore and history. It makes them interesting and entertaining in a lot of levels.

Thanks Margit for these wonderful stories. They still keep me curious and entertained in spite of the time that past since I read the first book the very first time :)
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
As mentioned in other reviews I was expecting more of a "fantasy" kind of book when I originally picked this up in a shop, however, though not like that I was not disappointed. This is the begining of a fantastic series of books which tell the story of a legendary family whose members posess magical powers - some use them for good and some for evil.

This story shows how Silje first meets Tengel and creates the family that Sandemo writes about through this saga. It is a wonderfully written book with a love story that is so beautiful it puts other books I have read to shame (Twilight anyone??!!).

I would recommend these books to anyone, but ladies if you don't fall in love with Tengel as well there is something wrong with you. These books are interesting, exciting and in places very erotic - you won't put them down.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is a series of books I recommend to everyone who enjoys history, magic, drama, love, and great characters. I read a lot, and to this day I haven't come across many authors who write such wonderful characterisations as Margit. Her people gallery is increadible!
In "The Ice People" you follow a family through several hundred years. You'll find people you love, and others you abhor, and you'll keep returning for more. Magic is the underlying theme, and the supernatural also comes out to play. 47 books, and now I have to get them all in English as well... Enjoy!!!
on 12 June 2008
I wasn't sure what to expect when I first started to read 'Spellbound', thinking that it wasn't the type of book I would usually read, but I can't praise this enough, its a great book and the start of a fantastic series. Once I began reading, I really couldn't put it down.... give the saga of Silje and her family a try, you won't be disappointed!
on 20 April 2013
First book in the long series about Ice People. Once you read about these people (becoming family), you cannot stop. You want to know what's going to happen to their children, grand children, etc. It may all seem simple but all the passion, magic and the witch-hunt is just fantastic!