5.0 out of 5 stars Don't leave home without it!, 28 Nov 2010
This review is from: The National 3 Peaks Walk: Including Information on the 4th Peak Slieve Donard Northern Ireland (Paperback)
I purchased this guide with 'The National 3 Peaks: Taking Up the Challenge' by Steve Williams a week before attempting the three peaks with a friend. Both guides pretty much cover the same ground and I would recommend getting both (which can be read in a single day); but if you would rather get one over the other, this guide is straight to the point and covers the essential information you need to know. The Steve Williams guide covers the same information but also goes in to detail about how he planned and successfully completed the challenge with a friend.

We followed the advice in the guides and climbed the mountains in the order of Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Mount Snowdon however we never climbed them at the recommended times which was our main downfall. We successfully climbed Ben Nevis and Scafell Pike but were faced with climbing Mount Snowdon in the dark instead of Scafell Pike. Despite having previously climbed Snowdon in daylight and being familiar with the mountain, we struggled to navigate it in the dark and turned back after getting lost. Scafell is probably the easiest to navigate out of the three so I would recommend doing that during the night.

I took the advice in the guides to purchase a head torch which I hadn't previously considered and it was useful however I found my Maglite torch to be more useful. Maglite's can be expensive but they are very powerful and durable torches. Whilst the guides recommended getting hydration sacks, I never purchased one, and from experience, I would advise others to use them as I had to keep stopping on the moutains to get water out of my bag. This probably only killed a few minutes here and there but when you're racing against the clock, it all adds up.

From experience I would also recommend investing in a decent pair of mountain gloves, I used woolen gloves which got soaking wet in the rain (and it rained a lot!) and my mate used leather gloves which he had difficulty putting on after his hands had already froze. Waterproofs are essential, the last thing you want to be when cold and tired and physically exhausted, is wet as well.

For those intending to use sat navs, the post codes for Snowdon and Ben Nevis can easily be found with a Google search however it took me quite a while to trace the post code for Scafell Pike so here it is for your convenience: CA20 1EX (that is actually for the Wasdale Inn but you can find the mountain easily from there.) Don't rely too heavily on the sat nav as there was a road closure when we attempted the challenge and the sat nav sent us all over the place.

If you follow the advice given in the guides, you can't go far wrong. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 PEAKS CHALLENGE - National, 10 Jun 2010
This book is a must have if you are planning the National 3 Peaks here in the UK, Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Mount Snowdon. Extremely informative from start to finish with exclusive tips and options to shave time off of the 24 hour guideline if a 3 peaks challenge or excellent for Leisure walking, trekking and hiking. A Great guide on equipment along with clear routes/pathways for each of the peaks. During May 2010 we attempted the National 3 peak challenge with this pocket sized booklet, so easy to carry and light, it turned out to be our Bible for 24 hours, I shall be sending Mr.Smailes a personal 'thank you' for such a great guide book. Don't attempt any of the 3 mountains without it. You have been warned. Stay Safe. 10/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 27 Aug 2013
Handy pocket sized guide. Took this with me on the three peaks walk. Luckily didn't need the guides for descending in bad conditions, but was reassuring to have these. The list of things to take with you also made a good check list. This book is not adequate on it's own (and doesn't pretend to be), but is a good supplement.

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful booklet, 7 Aug 2013
I bought this to help me prepare for doing the 3 peaks over a week with my youngest son. It has lots of advice in it - much of it very basic but still worthwhile - and gald I got it - will act as a reminder now.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 Peaks walk, 8 Dec 2009
This is a very easy to read book and very informative.
If you are doing the 3 peaks over 24 hours or a year this book will give you all the information you will need to know

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 31 May 2014
Gives you all the info you will need for both the 3 peaks if doing it over 24 hours or longer. good photos of the routes and info on parking and stuff like that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting publication., 29 Mar 2014
Mr. E. A. Povey "Applecross" (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
Not quite what I expected but very informative nonetheless. Lots of good pictures and plenty of specialist knowledge regarding the 3-Peaks challenge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful, 17 Feb 2014
A really useful little book, with information on the various routes with reference points, and some of the pitfalls and what to expect.

4.0 out of 5 stars It was for a pressi, 15 Jan 2014
The booked arrived and was intended as a presi for someone who is doing the 3 Peaks later in 2014.

As I don't take my walking THAT seriously it would not be something to inspire me to do the 3 Peaks, but my friend seems to like the book and, hopefully, finds it useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 2 Aug 2013
Allowed me to picture the routes before doing the 3 peaks challenge. Good descriptions of the routes and photos help place there which helped later.

5.99