Format: PaperbackChange

on 7 July 2010
Having suffered thyroid disorder for over 5 years I went to my local pharmacy while awaiting my precreption and came across this book. I read and understood it all! I decided then to visit the author is currently is working in a private hosptial in Edinburgh, Scotland. He is a highly experienced and knowledgable man and has and still is dealing with my on-going thyroid problems! Fantastic book! highly recommended! *****
on 27 March 2013
I bought this book and returned it. There are many books which are more informative and more helpful than this one; Dr Peatfield's book for a start; Mark Starr M.D. for another.
Hypothyroidism is far more common than 1:20 and many people remain undiagnosed, misdiagnosed and untreated as a consequence of the TSH blood test. This test is inadequate and will only diagnose a small proportion of those who suffer. Those who do suffer and the TSH remains within 'normal' reference range will be labelled hypochondriacs or with one of the 'new' disorders which grew up at the same time the TSH blood test was adopted; Fibromyalgia, C.F.S., M.E., Post viral Fatigue, psychosoma, etc.
Further do not let your dr titrate your thyroid supplement dose according to the TSH blood test either, you will remain undertreated and continue with symptoms as a result. You can feel better again; educate yourself and you will find out how.
Dr Toft has admitted the TSH test leaves some people undiagnosed and he has the ability to do something about it but fails to; in which case he is failing so many sufferers who will live a life of misery as a result.
This book is not good enough; there are many better books around if you want to get well again and further if you have one of those 'new' disorders I spoke about do read the books I mentioned above. Best of luck.
11 comment9 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 April 2012
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about eight years ago and, at the time, bought a couple of books about the condition. Both were incredibly patronising (particularly, and I hate to be stereotypical, the American one). Neither contained anywhere near the amount of information I wanted despite being at least three times as long as this book.

As I said, I have been dealing with hypothyroidism for a long time and, unfortunately, in the last year or so developed complications which have sent me back to the drawing board as it were. It was this change in my health that prompted me to look for a new book to keep handy. After all, some of my symptoms mean my memory and concentration aren't brilliant at the moment so a pocket sized book like this seemed to have its uses. It has a simple layout, not too wordy, not crammed with unnecessary information.

For me, this is a good book for double-checking odd bits and pieces but for someone who has been newly diagnosed with either and under- or overactive thyroid, I think it could be incredibly helpful in the early stages of managing your condition.

I certainly wish I'd known about it eight years ago.
on 27 June 2013
I don't agree with everything in this book but it was helpful when talking to my doctor about blood test results, after she wanted to reduce my medication. Dr Toft gives clear information of how to interpret results and also explains that some people only feel well on higher doses of medication than blood tests would suggest. The book is published in association with the BMA.
on 3 September 2009
Concise guide to disorders of the Thyroid. Was not in-depth enough for me personally, having read many books on the subject, but good for an introduction to the disease and its causes.
on 12 December 2012
did not live up too its hype, I did not find it helpful and preferred Diana Holmes book tears behind close doors
on 7 July 2012
I found this book very helpful! After many uncomfortable/embrassing months of suffering Hot Flushes&excessive sweats, to finally be able to begin to understand why!!! I would throughly recommend this book. I have now got the worst of problem under control now with Thyroxine..
on 19 September 2013
An interesting read, which I must show to my family who assume that as my hypothyroidism is being treated there are no problems left. Treatment helps, but not all the suumptoms completely disappear weven if the dose seems to be correct.
on 30 December 2012
I read this book, expecting little bit more, but it gives you just basic(GP knowledge) about thyriod gland, there is no extra infos how it affects your brain and body, only simple facts,
on 4 April 2011
An excellent initial resource for those newly diagnosed - or who have had friends or families diagnosed with a range of thyroid problems.
Unlike most books on this subject it is written by a British author - a leading endocrinologist, with lots of experience in this area.
I don't agree with every view expressed, but it is well written, informative and not patronising.