5.0 out of 5 stars A Little Gem, 27 Feb 2012
This review is from: A Nation of Immigrants? A Brief Demographic History of Britain (CS58) (Paperback)
The best books, and this is one such, surprise by overturning long held assumptions. I was most surprised to find that modern man has probably only lived in these islands for about 10,000 years - before that it was a lifeless ice age desert. And that most of us are descended from these original people, rather than later Roman, Dane, Saxon, or Norman invaders.

My first reaction was to reject this thesis, because, let's face it, it's rather Politically Incorrect. But the style is scholarly and meticulously referenced, so it possible to check out the data, which showed that, by and large, the thesis is right. Inevitably there are some academic disagreements at the margin, but none big enough to undermine the book.

So that might explain why most Britons are so upset by the recent spike of immigration - it's bigger, in percentage terms, than the Norman Conquest! (That's my conclusion, not the book's).

My sole criticism is of the referencing, which follows the modern practice of listing all the references together at the end. I much prefer explicitly referenced footnotes - makes fact checking much easier. Still, a minor quibble.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nazi Labour Lies, 3 Sep 2009
Mr. J. D. Ward "Sigbrit" (Richmond, NY, UK) - See all my reviews
An excellent book showing who the fascists in our country really are. It shows up all of the lies that the Nazi Lib/Lab/Cons use about immigration and British and English ethnicity. The idea of the British being a nation of immigrants is absurd and always has been. But it is now promoted by the government and the state owned media in order to ensure their nasty little agenda of 'gentle genocide' against the indiginous British can be carried out. Unfortunately the indiginous British are too awkward as it is us that have stopped every tyrant from Napoleon to Hitler. So we need to be wiped out. They can't do it militarily (God knows they've tried) so they are now doing it by stealth. This is war by other means. This exposes the Nazi Labour Party lies for what they are, and shows why when maverick members of parliament expose even small parts of these lies, they are arrested and thrown into jail. The British are actually one people. Even if we were immigrants, then to deny us a racial, cultural, ethnic or nantional identity based on lack of racial purity would of course be a fascist concept. That is what the Lib/Lab/Con attempt to do. Showing their true colours. They succede by pointing in the opposite direction at the Democratic parties. They use their moronic skinhead thugs such as the UAF to hysterically demonstrate and use violence and intimidation against the innocent parties in order to prevent us from asking the question "Who really are the Nazis". This book aswers the question. A must read for anyone who still has the courage to have a free mind interested in modern politics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clears up some Myths about the British, 1 Sep 2013
Beverly (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Easy to read, and loaded with facts about Britain and it's in habitants and how we came about as a nation. I now have facts to quote when someone tells me that there is no such thing as an indigenous British person, despite the fact that I have traced my family tree on my father's and mother's side back to the 15th Century in Yorkshire - exactly where I and my family still live!

A Nation of Immigrants? A Brief Demographic History of Britain (CS58)
Used & New from: 0.01