3.0 out of 5 stars Tracing the History of Your House: the building, the people. the past, 22 Feb 2010
Barbara Latham (Shropshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tracing the History of Your House: The Building, the People, the Past (Paperback)
A bit disappointed as was not an easy read. Full of detail but not as clear as 'How to Research your House' by Pamela Brooks which has far more photos and help with resources.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful book full of facts ~ although rather dull presentation., 18 Mar 2013
"Sam & Dave" (Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
I had mislaid my previous purchase of a tracing your house history book (which I've since found) and saw this particular book advertised at a bargain price. I couldn't complain about value-for-money, as it didn't cost much more than the postage!

Although it sets out in a logical way, the various sources you can use to trace the history of your house, I found the layout and boring presentation rather dissapointing. I guess I was attracted by the author being Nick Barratt and assumed it would 'appear' more interesting than it did, with virtually no colour and little in the way of documents to illustrate this fascinating research. (I would personally recommend: Collins - Tracing Your Home's History by Anthony Adolph, which I would give a 5* BEST BUY to).

This book, which was described as being in VERY GOOD condition, arrived with coffee stains all over the front cover (which I was able to clean off) and the spine being damaged at one end, although the book once opened, looked absolutely brand new.

Tracing the History of Your House: The Building, the People, the Past