5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, eye-opening book for any parent.
Published on 14 July 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars Only for infants of a few weeks old
I bought this book, expecting it will cover language development / communication for babies aged 0-2. Not so at all - it more or less tells you how to distinguish between different types of crying. What use is that when it's easy enough to figure out yourself - even as s first time mom. Total waste. Returned for refund.
Published 20 hours ago by bloo

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, eye-opening book for any parent., 14 July 2000
By A Customer
This is a fascinating and eye-opening book which every mother and father should read. It makes you aware exactly how sensitive and intelligent babies are, and shows how inportant and rewarding communication with babies is. It is also very helpful in teaching parents how to respond to the cues of the baby. It made me realise that there is no such thing as 'difficult' babies, but only sensitive ones.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Social Baby, 18 Dec. 2004
By A Customer
I feel that this is a lovely book for anyone coming into contact with babies and small children. I hadn't realised before reading this book that babies are immediately communicating and interacting with their environment from birth. This book enables people to understand what a baby is communicating, and how to manipulate a babies environment to give it the best comfort. This book is a real gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, highlighting infant commuication skills, 25 Aug. 2000
By A Customer
Lin Murray has written an amazing book which should be read by all those who come into contact with babies. The photographs of the ways every baby is able to communicate are wonderfully descriptive and give the reader a great insite into the world of the infant. I am sure this easy to read book will be welcomed by the Internation Assosiation of Infant massage as we teach massage through infant communication. Cherry Bond - Baby Massage Specialist

5.0 out of 5 stars The Social baby, 13 Jun. 2004
What a fantastic insite into a baby's way of thinking.
As a new mum this book has enlightened me. I have tried suggestions in the book on things to do with my baby and they work. She now imitates me. I also can read her body language.
The pictures are excellent. I have tried the suggestions in how to settle my baby and it works. TRUST me it does. Baby is sleeping as I type.
I also ordered the suggested acompanyment baby books and baby loves them and the mobile that comes with them.
Even my Health visitor was engrossed. Top Marks.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, picture stories illustrate how to read baby's cues, good practical tips, 7 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Social Baby: Understanding Babies' Communication from Birth (Paperback)
I bought this book after I saw The Social Baby DVD at ante-natal classes and am enjoying reading it whilst on maternity leave waiting for my baby to arrive. It's a brilliant book. I work with under 5s and have done a lot of training in infant development but still found this book really interesting and informative with lots of useful practical tips for stimulating and soothing baby. I like the picture stories which clearly illustrate babies' cues and sensitive ways of responding to them to help them learn to trust, get their needs met and gradually learn to soothe themselves. I imagine that looking through the pictures and commentary will help me to remember the information better when I need it at 4 in the morning than just reading text!

The book is written in an easy to understand and sensitive way that gives you confidence. I think it would be useful for any parent who is pregnant or has a young baby and also for health professionals to use the pictures as a visual aid.

The chapters are: -
- The Baby's Social World
- The Baby's Physical World
- Crying and Consoling
- Sleeping
- Developing a Sense of Security
- Supporting Parents
- Lifestyles and Choices

Overall, an excellent book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 11 Jun. 2008
Mrs. Becky Lowten "Becky L" (Bedfordshire) - See all my reviews
This book was facinating and was so helpful in understanding our newborn baby. It was so reassuring to observe normal behaviour in the beautiful photos and was not a how to guide like other books but enabled us to come up with our own solutions. It was recommended by my health visitor and since i have recommended it to all my friends with or having babies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Social baby, 25 April 2008
Le Whitfield (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is delightful and such a refreshing change from the "how to cope with your baby" genre of books for new parents!

The style is sympathetic and informative; the pictures and commentary enable you to understand how your baby communicates with you from the start. It's so wonderful to understand how strongly the newborn baby is motivated to join in with its new social world, and learn about the non-verbal messages that he's giving us. This book approaches babies as the little people that they are and delights in their abilities.

As a new parent, although not a childcare professional, I'd heartily recommend this book to parents and anyone sharing the care of babies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful book, 29 Mar. 2011
I was recommended this book for a baby massage course and I think it has been very helpful. I have worked with babies and children for many years and I was never given anything like this during my training! I like that is is mostly pictures and I have something that I can show parents in class. It is very insightful and a unique way of explaining about communication in babies. I agree there might be a limited time for finding this helpful from a parents point of view but anyone who wants this for reference won't be disappointed. there has been a lot of hard work gone into producing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 6 Dec. 2012
Really useful book Even if you are not a first time parent. Really interesting comments on nonverbal communication. Easy read with lots of pictures of babies' faces.

4.0 out of 5 stars its worth a read, 4 Sept. 2014
Thought this book was good as pictures mainly illustrated the text and when your a new parent you don't even have time to stop to breath!
It was not as informative as I would have hoped I wanted to know what actions baby was doing meant. . I.e raising of legs to tummy/ biting of fingers/ dribbling - when to suspect the baby is not well..
Never the less id still recommend this book as any information to support you to better understanding your child is a bonus!

The Social Baby: Understanding Babies' Communication from Birth