5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, highlighting infant commuication skills
Published on 25 Aug 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars vnh
Good book but a lot of it is common sence.. because of the pictures perfect for fathers to be be that dont like reading but want to get some basic ideas about the babies behaviour.
Published 7 months ago by Vered

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, highlighting infant commuication skills, 25 Aug 2000
By A Customer
Lin Murray has written an amazing book which should be read by all those who come into contact with babies. The photographs of the ways every baby is able to communicate are wonderfully descriptive and give the reader a great insite into the world of the infant. I am sure this easy to read book will be welcomed by the Internation Assosiation of Infant massage as we teach massage through infant communication. Cherry Bond - Baby Massage Specialist

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, eye-opening book for any parent., 14 July 2000
By A Customer
This is a fascinating and eye-opening book which every mother and father should read. It makes you aware exactly how sensitive and intelligent babies are, and shows how inportant and rewarding communication with babies is. It is also very helpful in teaching parents how to respond to the cues of the baby. It made me realise that there is no such thing as 'difficult' babies, but only sensitive ones.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Social Baby, 18 Dec 2004
By A Customer
I feel that this is a lovely book for anyone coming into contact with babies and small children. I hadn't realised before reading this book that babies are immediately communicating and interacting with their environment from birth. This book enables people to understand what a baby is communicating, and how to manipulate a babies environment to give it the best comfort. This book is a real gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Social baby, 13 Jun 2004
What a fantastic insite into a baby's way of thinking.
As a new mum this book has enlightened me. I have tried suggestions in the book on things to do with my baby and they work. She now imitates me. I also can read her body language.
The pictures are excellent. I have tried the suggestions in how to settle my baby and it works. TRUST me it does. Baby is sleeping as I type.
I also ordered the suggested acompanyment baby books and baby loves them and the mobile that comes with them.
Even my Health visitor was engrossed. Top Marks.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 11 Jun 2008
Mrs. Becky Lowten "Becky L" (Bedfordshire) - See all my reviews
This book was facinating and was so helpful in understanding our newborn baby. It was so reassuring to observe normal behaviour in the beautiful photos and was not a how to guide like other books but enabled us to come up with our own solutions. It was recommended by my health visitor and since i have recommended it to all my friends with or having babies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 6 Dec 2012
Really useful book Even if you are not a first time parent. Really interesting comments on nonverbal communication. Easy read with lots of pictures of babies' faces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Social baby, 25 April 2008
Le Whitfield (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is delightful and such a refreshing change from the "how to cope with your baby" genre of books for new parents!

The style is sympathetic and informative; the pictures and commentary enable you to understand how your baby communicates with you from the start. It's so wonderful to understand how strongly the newborn baby is motivated to join in with its new social world, and learn about the non-verbal messages that he's giving us. This book approaches babies as the little people that they are and delights in their abilities.

As a new parent, although not a childcare professional, I'd heartily recommend this book to parents and anyone sharing the care of babies.

4.0 out of 5 stars its worth a read, 4 Sep 2014
Thought this book was good as pictures mainly illustrated the text and when your a new parent you don't even have time to stop to breath!
It was not as informative as I would have hoped I wanted to know what actions baby was doing meant. . I.e raising of legs to tummy/ biting of fingers/ dribbling - when to suspect the baby is not well..
Never the less id still recommend this book as any information to support you to better understanding your child is a bonus!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and good fun, 18 May 2001
By A Customer
This book was a real delight. We bought it a couple of months before our first child arrived, and found it entertaining and informative. I learned a lot about what to expect. When our son was born, we had a head-start in understanding his reactions and expressions. A few weeks later, I read through it again to refresh my memory, and confirmed my impression that it was both accurate and helpful.
The really great thing about the book is that they have concentrated on providing *lots* of useful images to illustrate in detail what they are writing about.
It's ever-so-slightly irritating that the authors insist on refering to babies as 'she' throughout the book. I suppose that there is no answer to this old he/she problem, but it is more of a distraction than 'he' would have been, and therefore makes the text less enjoyable to read.
From details in the text, it's clear that this book is written by and for British people, but the general lessons to be learned about communicating with children are certainly international.
Do buy this book if you are expecting your first child. Read it before the birth because you may not have time or energy just after.
It's great. More books should be like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
Brilliant - loved this book - a very interesting read for first time parents

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›