on 31 May 2014
My friendly Educational Psychologist suggester we read this in order to help support some children in our school. Dear goodness I wish I had found this book 10 years ago when I started my career. Granted I am only currently on chapter 3 (started reading it this morning) but already it is challenging my thinking on how I approach children in school and how to support those who have attachment issues and a mis-trust of adults. A very clearly, cleverly written book buy two experts in the fields of Attachment and Behaviour. Dan Hughes' use of PACE and Louise Bombers ability relate to children's experiences make this an amazing read. Not only that but it guides you through the stages of intervention and reiterates that it is a slow slow process which needs to be integrated into the fast paced world of education. Thankfully I'm in Scotland but to my English counterparts someone send that idiot Gove a copy of this!!!!
on 16 June 2014
Excellent book! Great tips but also and essentially a great guide how and when to seize moments and when to stand back and wait.Anyone involved in nurturing children should have this book
on 6 January 2014
This is a really important practical book that will be of interest to very many professionals supporting the growing numbers of complex children in mainstream settings. I enjoyed the conversational and thoughtful style between Louise and Dan throughout the book and wholeheartedly support their thesis that schools need to be supported in putting the relating back in school based relationships - especially for those pupils who have not had these opportunities in their early years. If I had one concern about the book it was that I feel the growing incidence of challenging pupils in schools suggests to me that we cannot avoid the issue of parenting skills - and who is responsible - and best placed - to respond to this need. Parenting was not the focus of this book but there was little in the book about relating to the home based parents and carers. I personally doubt we can ever impact on the scale of the need without making relationships with parents and parent preparation and training a core plank of good practice in schools. But other than this - a fantastic and important book. Thank you Louise and Dan.
on 31 December 2013
This book brings the experience of 2 exceptional careers working with children and families affected in some by trauma. The understanding and suggestions for interventions and support are spot on and I can say have assisted my work with some very challenged youngsters in schools. Has also helped me greatly with my 2 adopted children at home. Any headteacher commited to inclusive practice should read this and base some ongoing CPD on its content.
on 18 August 2014
I'm a teacher and found this book very beneficial in my line of work and have made use of many of the tips suggested.
on 28 June 2015
A great book, it arrived promptly, thank you.
on 8 January 2016