5.0 out of 5 stars The best Jockey Biography ever!
This is an excellent biography of Graham Bradleys career and life. Its as exciting as an Dick Francis book. It tells you the truth about National Hunt racing. A must for everyone in to the jump sport. I love it!
Published on 31 Oct 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars good read
Published on 12 Jun 2001 by Clive Pacey

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Jockey Biography ever!, 31 Oct 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars good read, 12 Jun 2001
Clive Pacey (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wayward Lad (Hardcover)
Compared with so many sporting biographies this is an above average effort, which is perhaps to be expected given the very colourful career of this controversial jockey. Entertaining and enjoyable yes, but insightful? In a way, but with Bradley, what you see is seemingly what you get and this does not for me, get completely under the skin of this fascinating sport in the same way that Dunwoodys excellent Obsessed does. In fairness this is largely because they are two completely different characters, but also this read is slightly overlong with a few too many descriptions of long forgotten races The protestations of innocence regarding the more dubious practices sometimes seen on the raccourse run throughout this and although this is always going to be a contentious area, the company that Bradley seems to have kept certainly does more than raise a few eyebrows A good straightforward read, but no ore

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating insight into the world of horseracing, 8 Nov 2000
This review is from: The Wayward Lad (Hardcover)
As a devoted racing fan, I have followed Graham Bradley's career for nearly 20 years until his retirement last year, and after the serialisation in the Express last week, I couldn't wait to get this book. I wasn't disappointed. To say he's lived life to the full would be an understatement! Through the year's he's had many run-ins with The Jockey Club and it is all chronicled in the book with no holds barred. Last year's arrest chapter is particularly incredible, I had no idea he had been through so much. Throughout however, the book has a sense of humour and often you wonder how. Despite all the big race wins and glory headlines it's almost a case of 'if only'. But it is a wonderful story and unputdownable - I would recommend it to anybody with an interest in life, let alone racing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never a dull moment. This is a racing gem!, 22 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Wayward Lad (Hardcover)
I really loved this book. I'm 26, so suffice to say I don't recall too many of Bradley's years as clear as I'd of liked. However, reading this was as if I was there. The actual ghost-writer does a cracking job of stringing together Bradley's dictation, which makes for riveting reading.
He doesn't hold back, and at times I was wondering if he'd made some stuff up as it was so bonkers, but low and behold he hadn't. Having pre-judged Graham, I found myself warming to him the further I read and it's his honesty (ironically) that really swung me. Of all the characters in racing, he's one who'd be high on my list to meet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
Couldn't put it down

4.0 out of 5 stars The WAYWARD LAD, 8 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Wayward Lad (Hardcover)
Delighted with the book as it was for my friend and he is very happy with thank you . i use amazon a lot to get the best deals with books and other items for my personal use .

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply brilliant, 20 Jan 2001
This review is from: The Wayward Lad (Hardcover)
The first time I became aware of Graham Bradley's skill on a horse was when he rode my favourite horse, Morley Street, to win the Martell Hurdle at Aintree. With the help of Steve Taylor, in producing this book, Brad shows that horsemanship is not his only skill.
Every racegoer knows of Graham Bradley and the "baggage"(as he calls it in his book) that goes with him. I think that mystique is part of the attraction of Graham Bradley and something which made me want to read more about his life.
This book did not let me down. Whilst it goes into great detail of his well known ups and downs, it also includes more fascinating tales of coups, his version of run ins with trainers and owners and the rewards he reaped from learning that your mouth can be your worst enemy.
The book is a gripping read and left me wanting to hear more stories - I imagine you could sit in a pub and listen to Brad telling stories for hours.
Thoroughly worth the money!!

3.0 out of 5 stars its a bit boring, and I have met him, 1 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Wayward Lad (Hardcover)
Of limited interest, its a bit boring, and I have met him, he seems OK, and well liked in the jockey community. We don't all have drug dealers as friends, but he seems very loyal, maybe more easily led astray than one would expect, I don't know.

The Wayward Lad
The Wayward Lad by Graham Bradley (Hardcover - 4 Nov 2000)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available