5.0 out of 5 stars Green Smoke - charming and heart warming, 18 Feb 2003
I first read this book when I was 7 during a holiday, near Padstow, where the tale is set.
It's about a young girl called Susan who meets a wonderful dragon in a cave at Constantine bay, near Padstow. (She is also on holiday, from St.Albans).
The friendship develops and he tells her marvellous stories of Arthur and his knights, of creatures and magical happenings. On one or two occasions the dragon even takes her to meet a friend or two.
The set is presently out of print, which is a great shame. I've just begun reading my copy to my son, who, though 4, loves to hear about dragons.
It may be a little twee for some of the more aggressively developed children of today. But as a tale of friendship it is a delight.
Give up the Gameboy, switch off the PC and pick up a book. If you're a child, you could do worse than this. If you're an adult, it may remind you of how childhood should be, innocence and happiness, without the dreadful woes and horrors that the real world can bring.
In case you're wondering:-
BK1: Green Smoke
BK2: Dragon in danger.
BK3: The dragon's quest. (Best of all, set in Arthurian times).
BK4: Dragon in the harbour.
If you can find them, buy them, at any cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly imaginative, 14 July 2002
This is the first book I read from cover to cover as a child without being told to and I have always remembered the dragon. It was a perfect introduction to reading for 7 to 10 year olds and it's a shame it's so hard to find now. Rosemary Manning really knows how the imagination of little girls works and I was totally immersed in the Arthurian legends she used in the narrative. I would love to read this book again if I could find it. (I am 27 now). I want my children (when they get here) to read this book too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming children's dragon adventure, 8 Nov 1998
By A Customer
I have not read "Green Smoke" since I was a child, but having a literate 8-year old son who loves dragon stories, I have been racking my brains to remember the charming story of Susan, a little girl from St Aubyns (Cornwall?), who, in the school holidays, befriends a dragon who breathes not fire, but green smoke.
And this is it.
"Green Smoke" is not a fast-moving adventure story of scaly monsters, but a gentle tale of a unique friendship, and being set in the second half of the 20th century, its message seems to be that, even though times change, children, essentially, do not.
At least, that's how I remember it, from 25 years ago. When I have read it again, I may update the review. It *must* be a good read, because I remember taking it out of the library at least three times...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, old style fun, 15 Mar 2010
I have a 6 year old girl who loves merlin and read one of your previous reviews. It made me think she might enjoy the book and she did. Absolutely loved it and we ended up enduring several puppet shows based on the book afterwards! It's quite steady and old-style without being plodding. We live in Cornwall so she could just imagine finding a dragon in one of the caves in beaches near us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book, unpredictable, but nice dragon meets young girl, 31 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This book started me off on my way to being a dragon lover, I'm now 23 and read this when I was about 9/10.
Young girl on holiday in Cornwall meets a dragon, this is not ordinary knight eating dragon - well he doesn't eat knights anymore! It's a fun book generally, girl on holiday on her own with parents finds a friend -a _very_ good friend who takes her on adventures ....but she always has to be home for tea !! I share the name with this girl and I wanted to be her!
It's not quite fantasy but it's good to start off with, not a very thick book, but I've read it over and over again.
There's adventures and meeting mermaids, its not king arthurs era although the dragon was apparently around in the days of King Arthur. He's a modern day dragon who doesn't like tourists unless they leave him food.He's very polite and well mannered - a little like winnie the pooh.
It's not an overly long book, but there are two other books that accompany it, another with Susan the girl and one based in the dragon's king arthur days.

5.0 out of 5 stars They don't write them like this any more!, 28 Oct 2008
This review is from: Green Smoke (Paperback)
My mother used to read "Green Smoke" and all the other R Dragon stories to my brother and I at bed-time. The first page of "Green smoke" is one of the best pieces of child-orientated descriptive writing I've seen in a long while.

"I'm for Constantine Bay"!!!!!!!

You've just got to read this book. And if you can't read, then look at the wonderful pictures!

5.0 out of 5 stars the BEST ever dragon story, 18 Jan 2006
A. Craig "Amanda Craig" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I have a son who loves dragon books so much that I've done an amazon list of best dragon books (check out my website, too) but this is the funniest and most charming. Susan is on holiday in Cornwall, and while wandering along the sandy shore she notices a puff of green smoke come out of a cave. It comes from the greedy but toothless R. Dragon whose fondness for biscuits a buns leads to his telling her various stories, ranging from tales of his life in the court of King Arthur to traditional British fairytales, plus a visit to his friend the mermaid, and various other adventures. The humour, short chapters and lovely line-drawings makes this one of the best books with which to introduce a 6-8 year old to the joy of reading alone. The Dragon's Quest is also excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful book, 5 May 2014
Mrs. S. Leavesley (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Green Smoke (Paperback)
This was bought on the recommendation of a friend and I am so glad I took her advice. This is such a delightful book. Sue and R. Dragon are such charming characters and the book serves as a wonderful introduction to some traditional stories such as the legends of King Arthur. We absolutely loved this book and have subsequently tracked down the other books in the series. It's such a shame that the series appears to be out of print as it really should be a classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars a magical story, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Green Smoke (Paperback)
Had this read to me when i was at school. Loved it so I've bought it for my granddaughter to read

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 23 Feb 2014
This review is from: Green Smoke (Paperback)
Used with my Year 2 class - they loved the story and several went out to buy the book themselves.
Highly recommend.

Green Smoke
Green Smoke by Rosemary Manning (Paperback - 1 May 2008)
5.59