5.0 out of 5 stars I remember how much I enjoyed this book 30 years ago!
Polly's self esteem and confidence was such an inspiration to me when I read this book as a child. I've talked about my memories of this book so much to my daughter, that she just can't wait to read it! Very funny and very brave - a great story.
Published on 4 May 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars a mix of gentle pre-war humour and blackly deprecating wit
the tales of polly and the wolf will always have an endearing place in my memory as a child, thumbing through the well-worn copy in my local library. the pre-war quaintness of the book is balanced by its un-homogenised irreverence.
Published on 2 Dec 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars I remember how much I enjoyed this book 30 years ago!, 4 May 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Read aloud time, 22 May 2009
Kerry Johns (Hampstead, London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf (Paperback)
This is the "please-Mummy-please" bedtime treat of choice in our house. Even though the children can (and do) read this enchanting, funny book for themselves, and we all have our favourite illustrations, it is still the book that everyone likes being read aloud. Only AA Milne and Beatrix Potter rival this amusing and enjoyable collection of short stories for bearing endless repetition. No childhood should be allowed to be without this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back Polly, 17 Dec 2009
This review is from: Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf (Paperback)
I chose this book when I saw that the original cover illustration was back. Unlike so many dreary (for a Mum) bedtime reads, this is one of the rare treats that makes the parent smile and giggle with the children no matter how often it is re-read. Hooray for Polly and the Wolf.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 20 Mar 2008
This review is from: Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf (Paperback)
I read this when I was little and I loved it - I loved the surreal nature of the wolf appearing in the suburban location and the way that the fairy stories I knew appeared in a world I recognised. My copy, purchased from a second hand bookshop, is now being read to my kids, who also enjoy it - even without many pictures!

3.0 out of 5 stars a mix of gentle pre-war humour and blackly deprecating wit, 2 Dec 2001
By A Customer
polly is on the outside a typical little girl, all blonde pigtails and gingham dresses. the wolf is said eater of little girls,but unfortunatley he has rather more than he bargained for, polly being very clever and thoroughly precocious. it is safe to say without giving anything away, therein lies the basic plot of the tales.
wolf tries to eat polly, polly manages to outwit him (that not being very hard),in many ways, all told with a deprecating wit.
the character of the wolf is indeed really rather silly but still indeed endearing in his stupidity, part of you wishes that he would succeed, though you know he never will.
age has not dated the tales as such, but lent them a tone harking back to when childrens books were genuinely quite funny in a gentle way and are in comparison to most childrens books quite refreshing, the audio version is told in keeping with that, so its rather impossible not to recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure pleasure, 16 May 2008
perfectionist (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf (Paperback)
Clever, witty and hugely entertaining stories about sharp-witted, unflappable polly outwitting the resourceful and determined, but ultimately rather dim, wolf. This book made a huge impression on me as a child, and I have so enjoyed reading it to my two daughters, aged 7 and 5. I have given it as a birthday present to several children and had hugely enthusiastic feedback. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!, 5 Oct 2011
This review is from: Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf (Paperback)
Witty, bite sized stories about the sparky Polly and the irrepressible wolf. A great book of stories to read to younger children and for 7-10 year olds to read for themselves. I remember reading Clever Polly... as a child and took great pleasure from seeing my own children enjoy it just as much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful entertainment for all ages, 1 Aug 2011
This review is from: Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf (Paperback)
Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf is as entertaining as ever. I first encountered it as a child, then read it to my own children, have introduced various other people to it and have now bought a copy for my six-year old niece who, together with her mum, is also enjoying it. It is well written and great for reading aloud, indeed I read a couple of stories to my 25-year old daughter only the other day and we were both just as amused as we were when she was three or four. The stories seem to be timeless and the book is a well-deserved classic, which you can enjoy at any age.

5.0 out of 5 stars How could I have missed this book!, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf (Paperback)
This book was written in the 1950's but it was unknown to me and my own children. I recently came across this and was so pleased I ordered it, as it gave me an introduction to the other works by Catherine Storr (now deceased), all of which I praise highly. This is a delightful book about a wolf who tries in various ways to trap and eat Polly, but never succeeds, because Polly (aged about 5) always outwits him. This may sound gory, but it's not - the stories are highly amusing, even to grown ups, and are best read aloud to children 5 upwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf, 3 Jan 2005
By A Customer
The audiocassette of this story [read by Derek Griffiths] is superb. My nephews and my son listened to it hundreds of times in a row: we know most of the stories by heart. This is a great tale about a girl with pluck, originality, and humor. We love the British accents in so many distinctive characters, all read by one very amusing speaker.

Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf by Catherine Storr (Paperback - 1 Sep 2007)
Used & New from: £21.48