Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 November 2013
this was mentioned in a Guardian (I think) article about literature about single women - and although initially sceptical I was delighted to have discovered it. Fortunately life for women has moved on since the period the book was set but it has some very acute social observations which remain true to this day. A pleasure to read and with no easy, conventionally happy endings it was very satisfying. Poignant and provocative.
on 10 June 2016
excellent book, great to enjoy further writing from the author of South Riding.
on 11 August 2015
Good story
on 22 March 2015
Found it very dated and stilted. So did my wife - who loves period dramas such as downton abbey.
on 23 September 2014
I bought this for a friend who really wanted the book. I haven't read it, and it's not really my genre of fiction. Those who enjoy reading about social history will no doubt like this book, written by an author well-known for these kind of novels.
on 21 March 2016
A simply brilliant book- a good sense of period and the characters were interesting and believable