Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 January 2016
An exceptionally good read. Not a great novel, as the plot rather lets it down, but the observation and understanding of people is second to none. It's unputdownable too, as the characters are so well-realised you have to know how it is going to turn out for them. I would call this a "woman's" novel except that that sounds pejorative. It's a "woman's" novel in the sense that Jane Austen wrote such novels - domestic, detailed, sensitive, meticulously and deliciously observed - but surprisingly dark and uncompromising about sex, evil and cruelty. I can't recall a portrait of small-scale evil as precise, convincing and credible as the one that dominates this novel. Highly recommended.
on 12 August 2015
I really enjoyed this book and this was not in a small way due to the fact it was written during such a different era to today. Infact I think this is what made it so riveting for me. It's beautifully written and I didn't want to rush reading it although I also found it hard to put down. This is a book I will remember for a long time and I would like to try more Persephone books having enjoyed this one so much.
on 14 May 2014
I had already read the Priory and loved it so tried this one and was not disappointed . Although much darker than The Priory, it is one of the most compelling stories I have read. One could have expected her style to be a bit "prim" as she was writing in a very different era, but Whipple has conveyed that matters of the human heart and human relationships are never changing.
on 27 December 2014
Thank goodness I don't live in this era as a woman, but have we really come much further in our recognition and state independence? Anyway, a very readable book with extremely well drawn characters. Once started I didn't want to put it down. It created a mixture of emotions in me and was glad it left me with a feeling of hope at the end!
on 19 May 2015
I was immediately anxious to know how the characters would develop and being aware of the very different status of women in the 1930s I was gripped by a feeling of foreboding as each appeared to be trapped. The social setting is vividly described and all in all it is very interesting and enjoyable.
on 29 November 2015
A superb book- slightly dated however but don't let that put you off. The theme of sisterly love/conflict is timeless and the issue of difficult relationships within a family is superbly written. I loved this book and will seek out others by this author.
on 24 July 2015
Dorothy Whipple pushes all the buttons. This engaging and tragic story of sisters is beautifully crafted, the characters drawn perfectly. There is no resolution, just the lives of three sisters looking in different directions for fulfilment.
on 6 December 2013
I think that Dorothy Whipple is a fantastic author. I am very glad to have found her books. She writes about the relationships between three sisters in a book that is both compassionate and emotionally tense.
on 14 December 2014
This is an extremely strong book, and I usually am extremely bored by books about marriages. It's very well-wrtten and the characters are engaging.
on 6 February 2015
Fantastic book and her best one! Great story and totally believable characters and it has stayed with me.