1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Mansfield's Last Stories, 29 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Montana Stories (Persephone book) (Paperback)
The Montana Stories is a collection of Katherine Mansfield's last works, including some partially finished. The stories are beautiful - just ready for you to fall into. Because they have been collected chronologically, there is the second narrative of Mansfield's life running through the stories, which is complemented by an excellent Publisher's Commentary. Especially as the book neared its end, and the stories became more preoccupied with age and death, I found I couldn't drag my mind away from the characters and their lives.

The simple English situations offer a nostalgic comfort for readers even though the characters are often not comfortable. Mansfield's skill lies in her ability to represent the ordinary - and in some ways affirming - pain and worry that is part of every-day experience. Although many of the situations are no longer directly relevant, the humanity of the characters make the stories incredibly immersive. Everything that happens is related with such skill and simple interest that they are compelling even to modern readers.

I enjoyed the inclusion of the partially finished stories, they brought Mansfield's clear and intelligent style into the foreground, where the plot was less complete. I think my favorite story was The Fly; I've read a lot about the First World War, but there is something original in this story that affected me.

Definitely one I will read again!

The Montana Stories (Persephone book)
The Montana Stories (Persephone book) by Katherine Mansfield (Paperback - 22 Jun. 2001)