on 13 April 2012
This book scores high on beautiful pictures and inspirational content.

The first part gives general recipes like butters, oils, hot drinks, ice bowl (like the one on the cover) etc. Then there is a section with ideas for what to plant together ("projects" if you want - the instructions are perhaps a bit excessive, most of them boils down to "plant these ting together in a pot", without a lot of tips on the habits of the specific plants) and recipes using the same flowers.

(I count more than 30 recipes, don't know why cover says only 25). The focus is on desserts and light lunches + drinks.

There's also a short guide to planting and propagating, and then the directory with 40 different edible flowers, giving specifics on what conditions they like, what parts to use and how to use them in food.

All in all it is a nice compact book, with all the important edible flower how-to in one place, and a lot of inspirational ideas to get your creativity going.
on 17 November 2012
I bought this mainly out of curiosity and also so that I was also going to grow some companion plants in the allotment then I realised that some of the plants would be edible and I was really surprised at the different types of flowers that you can use in various salads and with meals, I found this book really interesting and would recommend it
on 20 June 2013
This is simply a wonderful book. Part gardening book, part cookery book, the mix really works well. It's beautifully illustrated and if you're in any way interested in growing your own, you'll be so inspired by the idea of adding edible flowers to your garden repertoire. I highly recommend this book. I've had it for years and go back to it again and again - it's a really lovely book.
on 31 August 2012
Great book with lots of easy to reference information. Nice photography to inspire creativity.
If you're thinking of reviving your garden then most of the plants would suite.
I've just started adding flowers to my salads and they look great. The texture might take a bit of getting used to.
on 14 April 2009
The book is fabulous, obviously it is an older version of a newer book out, but it is beautifully presented, well written and extremely common sense... Easy read and easy to follow instructions. Loved it. One special book one needs in your cook book collection. Beautiful book.
on 8 September 2010
I absolutely love this book - it's beautifully illustrated and has lots of really good ideas and recipes, many of which I've tried to great success. The ice-flower bowl on the cover was actually surprisingly easy to recreate and was a really stunning centrepiece for a summer dinner-party dessert. The bergamot wild rice has also become a summer staple in our house... really delicious. I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys gardening, cooking, or just really pretty things. Wonderful book!
on 17 December 2013
I can't pinpoint why I am disappointed by this book because it works methodically through edible flowers : history, cookery, harvesting and planting but perhaps it is too inclusive and the order is rather higgledy piggledy. Sowing seeds and taking cuttings are after harvesting and cookery and complementary foods and flowers is at the end, which is not logical to me. However, this is a publishing decision and it is unfair to mark this against the author. Perhaps I was looking for a greater depth and culinary inspiration but there is certainly comprehensive cover, so to award 3 stars would be harsh.
on 11 January 2014
My sisters are very pleased with their presents and looking forward to the spring and summer flowers to arrive so that they can make use of the food tips especially with their grandchildren who enjoy cooking when they visit their granny
on 5 September 2013
I have been very interested in using flowers/herbs in my cooking and baking, but I love the compact info in this book that also gives you information regarding home growing these plants. Very well done and lovely pictures.
on 20 October 2013
I think my sister really liked this book, they grow a lot of their own stuff and this was a good addition to their repertoire of meal time healthiness (no pizzas in boxes in their house no.....:)