5.0 out of 5 stars A great recipe book
Really unusual book with interesting tasty recipes. Book arrived lovely and quickly before christmas. My son and I are converts to finnish cuisine
Published 19 months ago by amanda kirby

3.0 out of 5 stars Great food but it is difficult to source some ingredients
I have no regrets about buying this book. In the end I bought copies for my mother and a friend who loves cooking. The recipes that I've tried out for myself have been great.

Published on 25 Feb 2009 by A. Byrnes

3.0 out of 5 stars Great food but it is difficult to source some ingredients, 25 Feb 2009
A. Byrnes "Andie" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Food and Cooking of Finland: Traditions, Ingredients, Tastes and Techniques in Over 60 Classic Recipes (Hardcover)

But of course there is a big problem sourcing ingredients like elk and reindeer, and even pigs trotter, saurkraut and specific types of wild mushroom. Not only are they difficult to source but if you do find them they can be seriously expensive. I've been using steak and venison as substitutes for elk and reindeer, but of course not everyone will want to do that. I've given it three stars instead of the four that I initially wanted to give it because of the problem of finding some of the ingredients, but this may be unfair.

In some of the recipes alternatives are given - for example monkfish instead of burbot and perch instead of vendace. Helpfully, there is a list at the end of online suppliers.

I love having the the book. It is beautifully produced with some great photographs and if you are prepared to play the substitution game there are some really great flavours to be explored. I enjoy it for its own sake.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great recipe book, 19 Feb 2013
amanda kirby "ham" (norwich uk) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Finnish Food!, 19 Feb 2009
My Finnish husband gave me this for Christmas, and what a brilliant present. Not only full of lovely recipes accompanied by beautiful colour photographs, it also explore Finnish food culture and explains some of their many traditions. Now I don't have to rely on my husband or mother-in-law for answers!

4.0 out of 5 stars Be careful!, 15 Jan 2013
Oh the whole a really useful book. I have found that a couple of the recipes need a little modification, mostly for personal taste it has to be said, but one in particular must be an error. The Karjalanpiirakka recipe calls for 1 tablespoon full of salt. This is too much. I ruined a batch even though I put in less than the stated amount.

The gingerbread biscuits need more of all the spices (that's purely personal taste) and extra flour (it is rather difficult to work with otherwise).

Otherwise, the recipes work well.

3.0 out of 5 stars This would get four or five stars, but..., 17 Oct 2009
This cookbook is really fascinating and interesting to read. As well as featuring countless Finnish recipes, it gives an insight into the culture and history of this land so familiar yet equally so mysterious. Therefore, it can easily earn a recommendation.

However, there's a slight yet notable issue that one reviewer on Amazon has already pointed out - ingredients. True, Anja Hill (the authoress) gives a list of providers and online stockists, but to anyone outside of the London area, or to those simply a bit skint, whole recipes have to be left to one side. The whole meat section is the main culprit, as most of the recipes involve elk and reindeer. Improvisation may be quite easy when it comes to small things like vegetables and fruit, but with such bulky staples such as meat, there are no excuses. The introduction mentions lamb and beef as being staples of Finnish diets, so it would have been a good idea if recipes including them were used.

Don't get me wrong: this book is ultimately good. Yet I honestly think it could do with a little revising to include some easier-to-source staples, which have been perhaps pretentiously ignored to create a more exotic list of recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Finnish cooking made easy., 18 April 2009
I bought this book to go with my other two Finnish cookbooks and after spending alot of time in Finland on my holidays it was nice to cook something at home that I had tried out there.
A very nice book with great pictures. I can not wait to use it again.

3.0 out of 5 stars finn food, 2 Nov 2010
Mr. R. Wells (Exeter,Devon) - See all my reviews
Bought this as my wife is Finnish. It has some very tradional recipes and dishes seem very 'doable'. Some ingredients are hard to get in this country though